Wild camping

Portrush alternative

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

Wild camping

· 
Posted: 11.06.2012  ·  #1
We've always used this place if we're visiting the north coast, it's only about 20mins into Portrush.

John

Coleraine
Aghadowey: Brown Trout Golf and Country Inn, 209 Agivey Road, Aghadowey, Coleraine. BT51 4AD. Telephone 028 7086 8209. Free overnight parking in Golf Car Park, Maximum Two Nights. Fresh water available

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Wild camping

· 
Posted: 11.06.2012  ·  #2
Quote by nipper

We've always used this place if we're visiting the north coast, it's only about 20mins into Portrush.

John

Coleraine
Aghadowey: Brown Trout Golf and Country Inn, 209 Agivey Road, Aghadowey, Coleraine. BT51 4AD. Telephone 028 7086 8209. Free overnight parking in Golf Car Park, Maximum Two Nights. Fresh water available

Back on my soapbox, but it is important if we are to succeed in diluting the influence of the anti brigade side on the issue of overnight parking, a la Aires.

Your topic is headed 'Wild Camping' and in your post you refer to ' overnight parking'.

'Wild Camping' is setting up camp in the wild. For example pulling into a nice remote spot for the night, or a few, and setting up like one does on a campsite, table and chairs, BBQ, awning, etc, put out.

Referring to 'parking' as wild camping only goes to reinforce the arguments of those who, in their ignorance or due to their vested interests, equate it to 'camping' and seek to prevent us from doing our overnight parking other than in a caravan park.

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.06.2012  ·  #3
I think every motorhomer who decides not to use a site will have a different view on what wild camping is. I think you've just clearly explained yours.

Perhaps my only fault here was posting this in the wrong section, again that's subjective. Maybe if it makes you feel better you could copy & paste it into the topic/area YOU think it needs to be placed in.

Maybe you should recount your paperclips while you're at it. :devil:

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.06.2012  ·  #4
Quote by nipper

John

Coleraine

Popular spot, I'm surprised we don't have it on the usermap, or do we......

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.06.2012  ·  #5
Quote by nipper

I think every motorhomer who decides not to use a site will have a different view on what wild camping is. I think you've just clearly explained yours.

Perhaps my only fault here was posting this in the wrong section, again that's subjective. Maybe if it makes you feel better you could copy & paste it into the topic/area YOU think it needs to be placed in.

No need to be nasty and you are untitled to your opinion AND I wasn't getting at you personally but at the use of the term 'wild camping' to describe the activity which you subsequently mentioned as overnight parking.

'Overnight parking' and 'camping' wild or otherwise are two distinctly different activities. The difference is widely accepted by motorhome users who have spent time in Europe and been exposed to the regulations governing the overnight parking facilities offered there. The difference is drafted into local bye-laws and often displayed on the signs which regulate overnight parking there also.

Finally, please be aware that there is a group of motorhome users expending a lot of time and energy working in to try and get town and county councils to provide Aire de Stationnement type places for all motorhome users, including you, and it IS important that they don't perceive that they might end up with people treating such facilities like campsite pitches.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2012  ·  #6
Baguette makes a fair point here.

There is a definite lack of knowledge about how overnighting is conducted in other countries.

I have been trying to arrange a meeting with the motorhome association to get their official take on terminology.

Once I have spoken with them I intend to publish the information for the information of all motorhome users in Ireland. I imagine many people will continue to use their own terms for what they do even after the information is available.

It is clear that many motorhome owners across Ireland see any overnight stops which are not in a campsite as wild camping. This could be a difficult perception to change.

I can see that when one member attempts to educate another it can be taken the wrong way. Please remember that this is a community and we are all learning

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2012  ·  #7
Thanks Mark,

I think the post by Jean-Luc HERE and in particular the attached photos of the signs in France and Spain sum the difference up quite well.

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2012  ·  #8
Guys, I posted in the wrong place.

This is nuts, all this rules stuff.

Not sure why you both seem to need to bash me with the official EU/World meaning of 'Wild Camping'

Beats me why Baguette couldn't just let me know i'd posted in the wrong place, instead of starting his reply with 'Back on my soapbox' & term such as 'diluting the influence'

It actually says 'newbie' under my name (my 2nd post) all I was trying to do was give an alternative to the Portrush clamping issue.

Mark you said 'Baguette makes a fair point here' but you also ignored the only issue I can see here....I posted in the wrong place

Also, thanks to Ally for seeing past this mistake.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2012  ·  #9
The point made by baguette was simply that overnighting in a pub carpark is not wild camping. I can see this is confusing to a newbie as there are no official guidelines for which phrase should be used when. As previously stated, I intend to rectify this soon.

We all post in the wrong place from time to time so don't worry about that. If I had been on the pc and not the phone that would have been more evident. :D

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2012  ·  #10
Quote by nipper

Guys, I posted in the wrong place.

This is nuts, all this rules stuff.

Not sure why you both seem to need to bash me with the official EU/World meaning of 'Wild Camping'

Beats me why Baguette couldn't just let me know i'd posted in the wrong place, instead of starting his reply with 'Back on my soapbox' & term such as 'diluting the influence'

It actually says 'newbie' under my name (my 2nd post) all I was trying to do was give an alternative to the Portrush clamping issue.

Mark you said 'Baguette makes a fair point here' but you also ignored the only issue I can see here....I posted in the wrong place

Also, thanks to Ally for seeing past this mistake.

Nipper, welcome to motorhoming.
For me where you posted is not an issue, as Mark says we can all post in the wrong place at times.

Being involved in the fight to get French style Aires up and running here in the South, like there is now in the North, if uninformed officials think 'camping' in their car-parks we will have a snowballs chance in hell of getting them to set them up for us.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2012  ·  #11
A couple of observations :)

The post is in the correct place.

Text has no emotion, no body langauage, so very easily taken the wrong way

"Back on my soapbox"

looks a lot different than

"Back on my soapbox :-) "

That's why all forums contain emoticons/smileys

I am positive Baguette was not "having a go" but stating a valid point, in saying that it could of been directed better and especially at a "newbie" on the forum.

Now everyone lighten up :D

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2012  ·  #12
I thought my attitude was fine & in tune with what I thought was the common goal on here 'helping each other'

The definition of 'wild camping' didn't even cross my mind, I'm not saying it's not important but it certainly isn't in the context of my post.

Have a look at the posts in 'WC spots in the North' (created: 18.10.2011 - 11:35 by Ally) everybody seemed happy enough to reply to this thread. Oh look!! Loads of car parks on the list, even the one I dared mention (The Brown Trout). The Forum Police would seem to have missed all of these.
Mark, you commented numerous times in the 'WC spots in the North', but instead of commenting on the place I suggested in my post, you jump on the 'rule book' issue
(It is clear that many motorhome owners across Ireland see any overnight stops which are not in a campsite as wild camping. This could be a difficult perception to change.
I can see that when one member attempts to educate another it can be taken the wrong way. Please remember that this is a community and we are all learning)

The post was about a place to stop close to Portrush.....

End of story

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2012  ·  #13
Quote by nipper

The definition of 'wild camping' didn't even cross my mind, I'm not saying it's not important but it certainly isn't in the context of my post.

The definition of WIldcamping is not something I would of thought about either, to me Wildcamping was somewhere we stopped that wasn't a Campsite, and that was how we posted in this forum until Baguette made us aware that it might be an issue. I am new to Motorhoming.

I can see why we may need to stop calling it Wildcamping when it is Parking, even though I think it's ridiculous that people could be so narrow minded to make the assumptions they do. For me the jury is still out whether it will make any difference. But I am willing to try and help anything that furthers our cause. Hence why I changed the name of this section to "Wild Camping and Motorhome Parking"

Healthy debate on the subject is good.

Thank you for posting the spot and I hope you and everyone else continue to post more no matter how you define it. I doubt the authorities or campsite owners who are against us even read this anyhow. :-)

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2012  ·  #14
P.S. As you can see here - forum/topic.php?t=1282 the spot you mentioned is now added to the usermap and will be included in the next update of the POI's. :)

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2012  ·  #15
As previously mentioned, we are trying to get an official terminology which will keep everyone happy and until then we continue to depend on members like baguette to correct all of us.

Yes spots like the one you mention are currently posted as wild camping and I can see why this is confusing.

I am sorry if you felt this was you being picked on or similar but I can assure you this is not the case on this forum. We are all here to offer assistance where we can..

Deirdre
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2012  ·  #16
Quote by nipper

John

Coleraine

John,

Yes we have used the brown trout car park many times, great spot, what a great wee bar/restaurant.

Dee :up:

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2012  ·  #17
Nipper,

Thanks for this thread.

Not for the location.... but for raising the point about wild camping and parking. Having come from a minimalist tent camping background, my definition of wild camping is a little different from the folks here. We wild camp WELL off the beaten track under canvas (well under high tech nylon/delrin mix if truth be told). Getting closer to nature and away from technology and modern conveniences. Our wild camping is just that, no imposed rules or restrictions other than our own understanding of the practise of camping in the wild - "ONLY take photos and ONLY leave footprints" kind of stuff.

Several of my friends who own motorhomes refer to wild camping in terms of parking for free, anywhere overnight. I have always kinda laughed at them for calling it wild camping as they have all of the facilities in their rigs... fridges, cooker, tv, generators, etc... That never sounded too wild to me. :lol:

I truly didn't realise there was an 'aires de camping' campaign underway in ireland and how sensitive folks can be about it.

But after reading this thread, it has dawned on me, the actual difference that the folks on this website hold in regards to both. I'm new to this motorhome lark and it seems I have alot to learn about the proper etiquette. Times have changed a lot since we used to motorhome back in the 90's.

I've taken some knowledge from moterhomecraic today. :up:

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2012  ·  #18
Hi Blag

Glad the post was useful to you, I’m sure it's obvious it was never my intention to start such a debate. I still don’t think I fully understand the difference or why it’s really that important but I’m glad the ‘craic’ forum exists for us all & that the wild camping/parking Poi list continues to grow.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2012  ·  #19
Quote by nipper

Hi Blag

Glad the post was useful to you, I’m sure it's obvious it was never my intention to start such a debate. I still don’t think I fully understand the difference or why it’s really that important but I’m glad the ‘craic’ forum exists for us all & that the wild camping/parking Poi list continues to grow.

It's important in Europe where both activities are separately defined (see my earlier posts on the issue) as 'camping' in areas reserved for 'parking' is expressly forbidden and is punishable under local bye-laws.

Here in Ireland it's important because we are trying to get local authorities to provide 'parking' and we don't confuse them into thinking they will be dealing with people who propose to 'set up camp' thus causing then to run a mile from the concept.

margies

Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2012  ·  #20
Quote by nipper

Ha,very well said. You are right those who aren't members of this forum might have a different kind perspective on this wild camping!

Robbie

Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2012  ·  #21
Lets go all posh and call them Overnight Restbite Areas :-) No matter what we call them all fellow campers know what we mean .

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2012  ·  #22
Quote by Robbie

Lets go all posh and call them Overnight Restbite Areas :-) No matter what we call them all fellow campers know what we mean .

Of course we do Robbie :-)

But what about all those County Managers and Councillors who hear or see 'wild camping' and think dirt and rubbish abandoned by people to mean to pay camp-site fees.

Whether we like it or not we have a pretty bad press among those with the power to provide or deny French type Aire parking in this country, just think of Co's. Clare. Galway, Roscommon, Waterford, etc.
The sooner those types are brought around to understanding that we simply require parking facilities the sooner we will see a wide choice of Aires in this country.

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Reply on stopover at the Brown Trout

· 
Posted: 21.10.2012  ·  #23
After reading these posts I almost wish I had never taken the trouble to talk to the management of the Brown Trout, design the sign, get it made and screw it up. Lighten up everybody, until all motorhome users chill out and work toward a common goal not a lot will happen, there are many opposed to this fraternity, that viewpoint has been changed quite a bit however since that sign went up with many Councils and government officials now backing parking for motorhomes . and the new 21 bay parking at Portrush clear evidence of this. There will be others as well!
I hope I have demonstrated without offending anybody how many forums have been crossed over here. And I do hope that Nipper enjoys parking at the Brown Trout and many of the alternative stopover areas available.
I wish a website such as this had been around when I got my first motorhome, such a wealth of information for to use
Thank You Ally

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.10.2012  ·  #24
the brown trout has been a mccni stopover for years, and the motorhome sign has been there.

ref motorhomers attitudes, you will never please everybody. only last week a person was complaining of the darkness at ddee aire and had the lights at the tennis courts left on, must of cost a fortune!!

colinbredin
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.10.2012  ·  #25
Tell them to buy a torch or keep the MH Headlights on. Motorhomers with that attitude need a kick up the hole. 🇧🇭

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.10.2012  ·  #26
nicely put!! :lol: :lol:

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.