ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Accepted behaviour wild camping and aires

· 
Posted: 27.08.2017  ·  #1
So far, I have stayed on campsites , but I'm hoping to stay overnight at other legal stopovers. I have read here that only the wheels should touch the ground, but can I use levelers or a plastic step ( my dog doesn't like the electric one). :-/

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Re: Accepted behaviour wild camping and aires

· 
Posted: 27.08.2017  ·  #2
Technically levellers or a step make parking not parking. But it dies depend where you are, in some places it wouldn't matter but in some places, car parks in particular it may not be ok. Find a level place and take the step in after your dog has got back.

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2017  ·  #3
Cheers Jamie. Thanks.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2017  ·  #4
A lot of the things to be done is common sense. When parking overnight, the more stuff that you pull out, the greater the chance that you are creating a trip or fall hazard. This is can lead to trouble especially with the compo culture that has gripped this country
On occasion, we have used our levelers ,but we try our best to keep between the parking lines and in one space. However most times the ground is too unlevel for the levelers to be effective.
Jamie has given good advice regarding your step.
Bring your rubbish with you, but if stuck and you have to use a public bin, squash it down and only tip in a small bag, as in a half carrier bag. Too often I have witnessed people trying to empty a 40 litre bin bag into a public bin, filling it full and then leaving the remainer on the ground beside the bin.

aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2017  ·  #5
Keep security/safety in mind too. If we are offsite, I always make sure I can get away quickly if necessary. Park facing the exit, if using levellers - reverse onto them; and no external screen.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2017  ·  #6
Levellers (chocks) are usually permitted on Aires for safety reasons. Think of a hot pot or pan sliding off a cooker for example or rolling out of bed during the night, not to mention the wine or beer spilling over the side of the glass.
As regards a step, MH's are usually designed with built in steps but if a loose step is needed for reasons of mobility it should be taken in at night or when the MH is unoccupied, if for no other reason than to prevent it being 'borrowed' by a light fingered individual.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2017  ·  #7
When arriving late at night at Aires don’t spend a lot of time reversing back and forward to park, Try and get in on one go. The same applies for leaving. I have been disturbed lots of times in the middle of the night by inconsiderate motorhomers trying to get that perfect pitch

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.12.2017  ·  #8
Quote by TommyS

When arriving late at night at Aires don’t spend a lot of time reversing back and forward to park, Try and get in on one go. The same applies for leaving. I have been disturbed lots of times in the middle of the night by inconsiderate motorhomers trying to get that perfect pitch

I have to agree with you on that one Tommy,

Recently i was at a rally in Killarney and when I opened the blinds in the morning i noticed a MH had pulled in beside me but i hadnt heard anything, normally id wake if a mouse farted, especially when away in the MH,

Turned out the MH that had reversed in beside us was a craicer also and was as considerate as your self,

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2017  ·  #9
Quote by baguette

Levellers (chocks) are usually permitted on Aires for safety reasons. Think of a hot pot or pan sliding off a cooker for example or rolling out of bed during the night, not to mention the wine or beer spilling over the side of the glass.
As regards a step, MH's are usually designed with built in steps but if a loose step is needed for reasons of mobility it should be taken in at night or when the MH is unoccupied, if for no other reason than to prevent it being 'borrowed' by a light fingered individual.

Whatever about them borrowing the step, I would be more worried if they returned it,

Through one of the Windows

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.12.2017  ·  #10
We were on the Aire at Les Menuires while skiing and couldn’t get a hook up. After arriving back from a days skiing I switched on the generator to recharge the batteries. It is built in and reasonably quiet. After a while a German gentleman came over and told me that the noise was annoying him and could I switch it off. I explained that it was afternoon and I needed to recharge the batteries to run the heater overnight. Normally I would have given him a few choice words but switched it off. A few hours later he came back and asked if I would like to share his hook up. We came to an agreement about usage and payment for the hook up. Think I just got him at a bad time. My thoughts about generators are that if it is daytime up to early evening there is no problem running then. I would not be happy listening to one while trying to sleep. I have stayed on loads of German Stellplatz and that appears to be the rule

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2018  ·  #11
One thing I have noticed on Aires on the Continent is that a lot of people rinse the toilet cassette with the tap for main water. I carry a disinfectant spray and give it a good spray before using i. I was once on the campsite at Eurodisney waiting for my turn at the dump when a guy was just about to do it. I told him not do do it and it took him quite a time for him to realise the problems. He was in a hire motorhome so it was probably his first time

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2018  ·  #12
I saw a Dutch couple laying into an Italian guy for the same offence in France last year.
We always try to use our own hose, where possible.
Malcolm

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2018  ·  #13
The French just do it without thinking, mingers. We, sorry, I too, carry Dettox spray just a quick splash and its vive le vidange.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2018  ·  #14
Problem with a lot of French Aires is that there is only a single tap, especially with the Bourne’s that are self fabricated and not the standard type.... so likewise..... antibacterial spray to hand before refilling.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.03.2018  ·  #15
While wild camping we always try not to deploy anything, I think people get anxious thinking that you'll be there forever if you have levelers or stuff like that, but we do put them if we must and we haven't had any issues.

It all depends on how lucky you are with the people going by... presentation and attitude will take you a long way as always, as in... if you're friendly, clean and keep it fair play, you should be grand.

But as I said, it's also a bit of luck involved, there's always that old lady that "owns the town" that could potentially give out to you.

Cheers
Rami

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.