Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

Cobh... What's this then?

· 
Posted: 21.06.2017  ·  #1
Hi Folks,

We were in Cobh earlier this week and spotted some new developments at the aires. Does anyone know why some concrete islands have been put in place at the MH parking area? Kinda looks like some oversized parking restrictions are underway, but I hope I'm wrong...

These painted boxes look like a helpful addition to assist folks when parking...

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Re: Cobh... What's this then?

· 
Posted: 21.06.2017  ·  #2
Is there any possibility of barriers being put in place? Possibly restricted parking.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2017  ·  #3
Looking at your photo there seems to be lots of spaces for Motorhomes in the mh parking area yet there are mhs parked at the other side of the new concrete structures maybe it's to stop that

copperman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Elangh 120super
Base Vehicle: Renault master
Subject:

Cobh

· 
Posted: 22.06.2017  ·  #4
Quote by hillton9

Looking at your photo there seems to be lots of spaces for Motorhomes in the mh parking area yet there are mhs parked at the other side of the new concrete structures maybe it's to stop that

Don't know what the islands are for but the red pipe sticking up is for electricity cable and must only be used for electricity cable according to building regs..

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2017  ·  #5
Quote by copperman

Quote by hillton9

Don't know what the islands are for but the red pipe sticking up is for electricity cable and must only be used for electricity cable according to building regs..

Charging stations for electric vehicles ?
Street lighting?
EHU for motorhomes?
Parking meters?

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.06.2017  ·  #6
"Charging stations for electric vehicles ?
Street lighting?
EHU for motorhomes?
Parking meters?"

Hopefully one of these

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.06.2017  ·  #7
Automatic barriers to make sure you pay?

Europa
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.06.2017  ·  #8
This construction seems to be between the designated camper parking area and the car park area. Probably a barrier to prevent campers parking in the car parking area, which some campers tend to do. There was a camper (abandoned ?) in the car for a prolonged period of time last year. The access to the camper parking is before this construction. Enjoy Cobh, fantastic facility.

thepilote
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.06.2017  ·  #9
That's properly the reason. Down there some weeks ago and they had tow away notice along the fence because the buses were finding it difficult to get to the cruise ships.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.07.2017  ·  #10
A height barrier is being put in place at the end of the motorhome parking area, after bay No. 30 to prevent motorhomes from using spaces beyond their allotted area.

Also, a hatched area has been painted between each bay to ensure motorhomes are evenly spaced and do not park too close to each other, this was recommended by the fire officer in response to campsite operators trying to use the 6 metre rule, as applicable to camp sites and caravan club rally fields, to have the area closed down.
Having referenced overnight truck parking facilities and existing practice at 'Aires' in Europe the F.O. is satisfied with the spacing in Cobh, subject to a control mentioned above.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.07.2017  ·  #11
The sooner the bye-laws are enforced the better.

On a recent weekend motorhomes were parked across car bays, a neighbour of mine who visited Cobh on the occasion couldn't get a parking place and was seriously pi$$ed off, and rightly so. I said it it were me I would have complained to the local Garda Station.

The hatched area between the mh bays mentioned in my earlier post are being used by some idiots as a space to set out tables and chairs and to crown it all one motorhomer had tables and chairs in the adjoining bay to reserve it for a friend on the way.

Roll on implementation of the bye-laws and the Traffic/Litter Warden who we believe takes no prisoners.

Next week relevant department heads from Cork City Council are planning to visit Cobh to see first hand what an 'Aire' is, carry-on like that mentioned above would certainly do damage to the progress made so far in the campaign for a motorhome parking area for Cork City.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.07.2017  ·  #12
We are our own worst enemy. I can't understand when there is such a great facility some idiots abuse it.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.07.2017  ·  #13
Going to cobh on Monday hope I can get a space and not see any idiots cocking things up for us

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.07.2017  ·  #14
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

We are our own worst enemy. I can't understand when there is such a great facility some idiots abuse it.

These idiots have been around for a long time,they are the inconsiderate bunch who buy a Motorhome and then think that nothing else matters.
The best policy to counter this is for considerate Motorhomers who see this happening to speak to the offenders and point out their wrong doings,it may fall on deaf ears but if enough people badger them then they might get the hint and if they get upset who cares.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.07.2017  ·  #15
Quote by ntg

Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

These idiots have been around for a long time,they are the inconsiderate bunch who buy a Motorhome and then think that nothing else matters.
The best policy to counter this is for considerate Motorhomers who see this happening to speak to the offenders and point out their wrong doings,it may fall on deaf ears but if enough people badger them then they might get the hint and if they get upset who cares.

yep get your point and I doubt the people who abuse the facility care about the long term implications.
When I'm free camping I simply park and take my chairs etc to the beach, lake, river or park if I want to sit out.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.07.2017  ·  #16
I have came across some of these characters in our short time of touring in a MH. The main things that I have noticed with them are firstly, they only worship one god, their backside pocket. Secondly they hang around together as in there could be 3/4 campers in a group. Finally to inform them of their bad habits is frankly a waste of you breath as they honestly don't give a toss.
The best way of moving them on is to hit them in the pocket, unfortunately for the rest of us but a fiver a night should do the trick.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.07.2017  ·  #17
There's always the minority who don't give a toss about ruining things for the rest of the motorhome community. The only thing that will make them change is when they are hit with fines/parking charge.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.07.2017  ·  #18
Below is an extract from DRAFT COBH (OVERNIGHT PARKING) BYE LAWS 2016

3. These Bye Laws shall apply to the area of the Five Foot Way Car Park, Cobh, Co. Cork as set out in Appendix 1 attached to this Bye Law. Overnight parking outside of this area is not permitted by these Bye Laws
4. No vehicle, other than a motor caravan shall be parked within the motor caravan parking area
5. A person who contravenes Article 4 shall be guilty of an offence
6. Where a motor caravan is parked in a motor caravan parking bay it shall display a valid motor caravan pay parking ticket
7. The maximum parking period in respect of a motor caravan parking bay shall be for a period of 48 hours
8. The fee for a parking ticket shall be €10 for a period of 24 hours.
9. A motor caravan parked in a motor camper van parking bay shall be required to remain within a single bay at all times and shall not be permitted to park such that it occupies more than one parking bay.
10. These Bye Laws permit the use of the motor caravan parking bays for parking only. Nothing in these Bye Laws shall permit the use of the motor caravan parking area for the setting out of awnings, tables or chairs.
12. Any person who contravenes or who attempts to contravene a provision of this Bye-Law shall be guilty of an offence and upon conviction of an offence shall be liable to a fine not exceeding five hundred euros (€500).

Since the above draft some amendments were made to what is now the final version, these include control of other inappropriate activities such as hanging out washing, putting down stabilizers and outdoor cooking.

Any littering or discharge of wastewater other that at the service bay will be dealt with under the existing Litter Pollution Acts, 1997-2009

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #19
I see Cobh is using a "24 hour period" for charging whereas Portumna is using "per calendar day" .

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #20
Once witnessed a Motorhome owner in Mullaghmore who parked across 3 parking spaces sideways telling a home owner there, who complained that visitors to her home had no where to park, "you bought the house, not the parking or the view" and told her to 'f off'......
Result, council now added parking bays for cars....
Some twats out there.

aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.07.2017  ·  #21
Busy tonight in Cobh, just 3 spaces left when we arrived at 1930. No asshat parking, a good few tables/chairs in the yellow hatched areas though.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

Charging

· 
Posted: 26.07.2017  ·  #22
I believe a charge of €10 for 24hr is to commence on Friday 28th, it will be interesting to see if it will be as popular then.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Cobh

· 
Posted: 26.07.2017  ·  #23
A few photos from when we were there look where these halfwit are parked ,the next day they were all moved into the the Motorhome parking bays
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2017  ·  #24
Where the halfwits were parked will no longer be available soon, a height barrier is being installed to restrict access to cars only.

Like elsewhere in Europe when the reserved bays are gone they're really gone as the ad for a major vendor of home wares says. So don't be tempted to park outside the reserved bays as the local traffic warded may write up a ticket.

Extract from Bye-law

3. These Bye Laws shall apply to the area of the Five Foot Way Car Park, Cobh, Co. Cork as set out in Appendix 1 attached to this Bye Law. Overnight parking outside of this area is not permitted by these Bye Laws
4. No vehicle, other than a motor caravan shall be parked within the motor caravan parking area
9. A motor caravan parked in a motor camper van parking bay shall be required to remain within a single bay at all times and shall not be permitted to park such that it occupies more than one parking bay.
12. Any person who contravenes or who attempts to contravene a provision of this Bye-Law shall be guilty of an offence and upon conviction of an offence shall be liable to a fine not exceeding five hundred euros (€500).

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2017  ·  #25
Totally agree with that, don't f.... up the rules it will be better for all of us, we where there in July the height of the season and there were loads of parking ,why they wanted to park outside the provided spots baffles me they don't deserve to own a Motorhome

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.