killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

England/Wales Birmingham - Holyhead

· 
Posted: 25.07.2017  ·  #1
Hi all, I'm travelling in a tight window on Saturday from Birmingham to holyhead... was hoping someone may be able to help - as there appears to be roadworks on the M6 and whilst google maps doesn't seem too worried - the reality may be different!

Any help much appreciated!

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: England/Wales Birmingham - Holyhead

· 
Posted: 25.07.2017  ·  #2
its a 50mph limit on the section, depending on what time of day reflects on the traffic conditions, we got through it quite well on our way to Dover. There is the alternative of going through the Snowdonia National Park but if you get stuck behind a bus or two then thats a nightmare.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2017  ·  #3
dont go birmingham -holyhead :shock: but have used the M6 on a saturday and usually find its ok , and dont forget the kids are on holiday so roads a lot quieter than normal.

blacklablover
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2017  ·  #4
M6 and tight window are words not usually used in the same sentence. You can be lucky or unlucky (obvious I know) but it is impossible to forecast. I have been on the M6 when it has been completely closed! All you need is an accident and chaos ensues. Don't forget google maps gives you the current expected journey time and is not a forecast.
I passed through that section southbound a few months ago. Horrendous congestion and I took a detour suggested by my satnav. Travelled northbound a week later and no problem - just busy but moving.
Personally I would check the journey times at time of departure on google maps and assess the situation at that time. Then check it as you progress.
Personally I think the journey through the national park is a pig but if it is the difference between catching or missing a ferry needs must.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2017  ·  #5
Quote by killiand

Hi all, I'm travelling in a tight window on Saturday from Birmingham to holyhead... was hoping someone may be able to help - as there appears to be roadworks on the M6 and whilst google maps doesn't seem too worried - the reality may be different!

Any help much appreciated!

We travelled that section last friday morning at approx 10am North Bound and it was flowing ok but as others say all it takes is an accident and it becomes a carpark.
Just try and travel as early as possible. Good luck.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2017  ·  #6
Killiand ,this is worth a look ,Go on to the M6 toll going north ,off at A5 junction west to A41 junction turn right and follow A41 through Whitchurch to the Chester ring road. Left picking up the A55 welsh expressway to Holyhead. I used to use it because any problems you could turn around and not be stuck like M6.

t18con
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Camper, built not bought
Base Vehicle: Vw Caddy 2l, 110bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2017  ·  #7
we were through that section on Sunday morning, and it was bad to be honest

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2017  ·  #8
Thanks a mill for the responses everyone, definitely something I need to re-think. Looking at it - Nilrac - I think that's a solid alternative to cut across and pass chester.. or indeed through Snowdonia...Get to see the sights :D :D

Haven't travelled it at all myself.. so really do appreciate the insight!

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2017  ·  #9
Used lots of times myself over the years running to Ireland from Essex with a large furniture van, Good level road ,

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2017  ·  #10
Thanks all! So just to update - headed from Birmingham to Chester on a460 a5 and then west across the a55...

Traffic was pretty crap to be honest! Couple of very slow congestion areas... For no obvious reasons! Well worth keeping a check on traffic updates if tight for time!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.