1981 homer S550

Raggytom
Subject:

1981 homer S550

· 
Posted: 04.07.2017  ·  #1
Hi All, new member looking at a 1981 S550. It need some work obviously, the main thing being rust all around where the body joins the chassis. Has anyone tackled anything like this? there is a Facebook link from Marcus about a Fair based restoration but it appears to be blocked.

Thanks in advance

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: 1981 homer S550

· 
Posted: 04.07.2017  ·  #2
You need to check if the camper has been sent for test recently. If it has and been failed,the rust issue that you have highlighted would be deemed as a structural failure. This will need an engineering report to certify the necessary repairs at a future date. It's like put a car back on the road after an insurance write off.
Structural repairs can be very expensive as the rusty must be removed and replaced with new metal and all welding must be certified and so on. Using bonding agent and stone chip primer will not work after a test failure.
This is one of thoses cases that you will need to be sure that the seller is been truthful with you.

Raggytom
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2017  ·  #3
Thanks for the reply. I have the DOE fail sheet and it seems that the chassis is fine but the outriggers which go to the edge and the frame that runs along the outside under the door is made entirely of rust. That's not the only fault but it's certainly the scariest! I'm new to Hymer ownership and the van is nice and dry inside, doesn't smell of damp and has no obvious mould.
It also has a few other issues, oil leak between engine and gearbox, track rods need replacing, brakes not working on the rear axle, rear brake and fog lights not working. Interior heater missing. I haven't bought it yet, I'm wondering what a fair price for something like this would be

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2017  ·  #4
To be total honest, I wouldn’t know as to what is a fair price to pay. It is possible that the current owner has decided to sell as they feel the issues are too costly to fix.
Maybe you should find someone who has experience with vintage vehicles as it sounds that this camper is more of a restoration project than a maintenance one.
Sorry that I am not more helpful.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2017  ·  #5
Have to agree with thorn, if you've a workshop, the time and equipment (sand blast, welding etc) and then you'll still need to get the work signed off by an engineer with agreed before and after shots... Then that's one thing and it comes to price then. If you dot have all of them... Then it doesn't sound like the right vehicle to me! We bought a van and it needed a lot of rust work in 2/3 small areas (Jacking mount being main one) and that cost about €1200

Hope that's helpful

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2017  ·  #6
What's the base vehicle? I'm guessing it's a Mercedes.

The oil leak between engine and gearbox could be either rear crankshaft oil seal or gearbox front seal depending on whether the oil is black or pink. Either way a big job on a coach built without a fully equipped workshop.

If the chassis is Mercedes you might be lucky and be able to buy new outriggers.

Sounds like a project and it would need to be cheap to be worth putting the effort into it. I'd be in at about a grand and walk away after that.

Raggytom
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2017  ·  #7
Thanks for all the replies folks. It is indeed a Mercedes based Hymer. I'm budgeting on €1k to sort out engine and other mechanical issues and another €1k on chassis works. the rust is on the Hymer as opposed to the Mercedes parts. It was DOE'd last year but has obviously rotted some since then. Similar van's in the UK in reasonable nick seem to go for £9k or thereabouts. I have access to workshop and tools. It was for sale for €3,800 without any takers and I think that €2k would be reasonable. I think that B class Hymers are not the most common over here.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2017  ·  #8
Looks like it might be worth the effort

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.07.2017  ·  #9
these old hymers espiecally on the merc chassis are a crackin old van! if the chassis is solid and mechicals are reasonable it might be worth a look but remember as you start stripping you might come across more horrors and them old merc heater blow motors are notorious for siezieing and are hard got new , i had a merc 307 autotrail before and ended up going back to merc for a new one i think i paid near 300e! ouch! so if your handy with tools and a welder and a bit of woodwork and a lot of time it might be a nice project.
ps good luck!

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.07.2017  ·  #10
I'd love to see it up and running fully again but work and sourcing parts could turn it into an expensive chicken coup

glastry
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes-Benz hymer s550
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

RUST where the body joins the outriggers

· 
Posted: 19.07.2017  ·  #11
Quote by Raggytom

Hi All, new member looking at a 1981 S550. It need some work obviously, the main thing being rust all around where the body joins the chassis. Has anyone tackled anything like this? there is a Facebook link from Marcus about a Fair based restoration but it appears to be blocked.

Thanks in advance

i did that repair a few years ago. it is not a technically difficult job-- you can do it!
the lower skirt comes off and the a bit of dirty work with a grinder and you are ready to attach new metal!
if you need advice just pm me.
the oil leak is often the gasket between the injector pump and the block and this too can be fixed,
though it is not that easy.
if it is driving well and is "dry" it is probably worth a bit of work.
good luck

glastry
Love's the Craic
Subject:

welding

· 
Posted: 02.08.2017  ·  #12
Quote by glastry

Quote by Raggytom

Thanks in advance

i did that repair a few years ago. it is not a technically difficult job-- you can do it!
the lower skirt comes off and the a bit of dirty work with a grinder and you are ready to attach new metal!
if you need advice just pm me.
the oil leak is often the gasket between the injector pump and the block and this too can be fixed,
though it is not that easy.
if it is driving well and is "dry" it is probably worth a bit of work.
good luck

i should have added that the "welding " required to attach the new angle iron is minimal,
it is only to re -attach the ends to the out riggers.
the angle irons are attached to the edge of the floor with sikaflex or similar and stainless steel bolts!
so there is not likely to be any drama over the amount of welding-and an "engineers report" seems way over the top.
This is an A -CLASS HYMER ,and if you would post a bit more detail ---engine and gearbox and miles ,there will be plenty who can offer advice.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2017  ·  #13
I'm a huge fan of the vintage vans.

Best of luck if you buy it.

Looks like a fun project!

One bit of advice from me would be to work out a worst case budget, and double it.
(a standard "project vehicle" rule of thumb)

At least then if you come in "under budget" you have a healthy diesel fund to work with. :lol:

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1992 Hymer B534
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2017  ·  #14
There aint nathin like a Hymer - dogs dangly bits - robust, iconic and great criac.

glastry
Love's the Craic
Subject:

encouragement to buy hymer

· 
Posted: 08.08.2017  ·  #15
Quote by Hessy Hymer

There aint nathin like a Hymer - dogs dangly bits - robust, iconic and great criac.

could not put it better!!
also there is the classic hymer section on facebook (for advice and bits)
and the classic hymer forum.
cleve has written a fantastic blog on his 1981 hymer restoration on the motorhome fun site.
and i would be pretty sure that if you do not want it there will be a queue to buy it!
good luck

celtichymer
Craic'er
Subject:

Hymer Restore

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #16
Great van. I have a '94 S660. If I had the space and time I'd buy it. That vehicle has a box steel frame with stucco style aluminium siding. It's winterized and with the proper silver screens over windows will happily keep you warm in sub zero temperatures.
Ensure all gas appliances work as fridges and boilers start to add up.
Old fridges may appear to be dead but a good run over a rough road can bring them back.
Most parts are still available for the engine and gearbox. The engine is likely the om617, bullet proof if well maintained but may need a new timing chain with high mileage.
Vehicles with mileage (also age) could need bushings and track rod assemblies need replacement but the parts are available including door hinges 'which is a big thing if you need them'
Brake pipes may need replacement if not already done and brake master cylinders can leak like most older vehicles if not pressure bled.
There are multiple english language facebook groups now dealing with these old Hymers and a couple specific to the pre '95's. There's a German 'Oldtimer' group also.
Best of luck if you do decide to buy.

Hessy Hymer
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1992 Hymer B534
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.5TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.05.2018  ·  #17
Any progress??

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.05.2018  ·  #18
Quote by Hessy Hymer

Any progress??

Raggy Tom hasn't logged on since August last year. And I was hoping to see this project develop! :-(

Hopefully he gets a notification about this thread, and comes back to us with an update... :-)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.