Motorhome from Germany

Padraigl
Subject:

Motorhome from Germany

· 
Posted: 29.05.2017  ·  #1
Hi all

My first question..
Just to qualify myself and my wife have no experience of Motorhomes or Caravans.

I have been looking at motorhomes for last 6 months mainly UK and Germany. We even went over to a show in Peterborough to get a feel for things.
We have pick the LHD Hymer B544 as number 1 followed by Frankia and Pilote. All same layout.
Anyway, I have picked out one in Germany. It's a 2005 Hymer B544. I have e-mailed and spoken to the garage owner and he was very helpful. Through work constraints on both of us I can only get to go see it next week, flying out and back in 2 days. The garage will store it until we get time to go collect it which will be August.

If I want to buy what deposit should I give as he will hold it for 2 months or will he expect the full asking price? Huge trust involved here.
He has said there is some slight hail damage (waiting on pictures) and its no issue as its quite common in southern Germany. Should this put me off?

Appreciate any advice.

Thx
P

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Re: Motorhome from Germany

· 
Posted: 29.05.2017  ·  #2
I think that you should give this some serious consideration,firstly as you say you have no previous experience in Motorhomes or Caravans and this is your first purchase, at 12 years old things are not always what they appear to be and this can be the case with much younger vehicles, secondly you will be purchasing a Motorhome but not getting it home for another two months which will use up any small amount of warranty that you may get, also depending on the amount of hail damage you would need someone with experience to have a look.
Just remember that if there is damage to the bodywork this will have a huge effect when you eventually go to sell.
This is probably a very exciting time for you and your wife but be very careful, it could be one that if it went wrong could have a long lasting effect.

Padraigl
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2017  ·  #3
Thx for reply.

Due pictures tomorrow so will post. Is there a company in Germany like AA that can check out vehicle for me?

P

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2017  ·  #4
ADAC is the equivalent of the AA so they may offer the service. One other thing. To bear in mind is that your warranty is with your supplying dealer so any problems are you going to be able to get it back to them. Also from your profile I am unsure of your location so if in ROI you will have to pay VRT on top of the price. Personally I would look for something more local even if it is mainland UK

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2017  ·  #5
Personally I would not go for it ,Id go for something closer to home ,the distance would effectivly mean no warranty and the dreaded VRT on import

Padraigl
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2017  ·  #6
Thx guys.

In Kildare and was taking vrt into account.

Last 6 months checking autotrader, eBay, gumtree and many individual garages for the LHD overcab bed with 2 side benches. They are very hard to find in UK. There are/were some which are/were RHD.
In ROI it's impossible to find one.
Where as Germany has many choices and any garages I ring have experience of selling to Ireland and UK.

This layout will suit perfectly as plan to tour Europe.

Wait for pictures so and see.

Thx
P

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Citreon Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2017  ·  #7
I am thinking of selling my 2002 Burstner 535a LHD. Has extremely comfortable overcab bed and 2 bunk beds, but dinette rather than side sofas.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2017  ·  #8
I would agree with previous comments. I personally would not consider buying​ my first motorhome from a company that would be difficult to get back to if any problems occured under warranty. Whatever you decide to do I hope it works out well for you and you have many happy years motorhoming.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.05.2017  ·  #9
As a rule german companies are pretty good with regulations and paperwork. Your dealer is probably part of a national network, similar to SIMI here in the motor trade. We looked at importing before we purchased in 2015, but we got lucky and found one here instead.
As far as I can remember, in Germany there is lots of auto engineers can be hired to survey vehicles independently of the dealers. This would address the issue of hail damage.
Under EU law the seller owns the product until the customer pays in full, so maybe 10/20% deposit and then final payment before collection. You need to look at your own bank and inquiry as to how long does an international money transfer take because I have heard of two weeks been taken in some cases. In fact some German farm machinery exporters will not touch an Irish money transfer due to their slow nature.
The vrt is paid on the Irish valuation not on the German price. I not sure about the vat situation.
You need to check insurance and their proposal forms as they can look for the dealer to stamp the form to verify that the vehicle is a proper motorhome, it happened when we purchased.
Just a few of my thoughts.

Rapido12
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Motorhome from Germany

· 
Posted: 29.05.2017  ·  #10
Hi
Make contact with Pat Butler in Waterford 087 9154732 she is experienced in taking in Motorhomes from Germany, has fluent German. She also goes over brings them back here and does all the registration and VRt etc. She may even know someone reliable to check your motorhomey out.

Padraigl
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #11
@hector2015
That's not the type of layout we are going for. Rear kitchen/bathroom with pull down double bed. Benches for relaxing rather than beds as it will be a our home for quite a while Best of luck with sale though.

I know it's not same but have bought cars in UK with same warranty problem.
I would think buying a van in UK would be same as Germany, getting it back to garage.

On to the bank and will use swift transfer which dealer knows all about.

I don't think vat is an issue (will double check) as it's on new vehicles only.

Thx
P

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #12
Have you tried Carroll and Mc Cauley there not too far from you and import a lot of German Van's

Padraigl
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #13
Thx Rapido12.
Will ring tomorrow.

P

Padraigl
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #14
@eirebus
Yea they have 2000 model with very high millage, 200,000km. Looking for 2004/2005/2006 depending on price.

Padraigl
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #15
@Rapido12
Contacted Pat Butler. Fantastic lady with great advice.

Padraigl
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #16
I have attached the hail damage photos.

Not sure if I done it right as first time. Could not add them to the actual message.
Here goes ....
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #17
Looks great on the photos, even enlarged on the PC

But photos do tell lies.

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #18
I'd say it could be encouraging that the garage looks spotless and well equipped, it suggests a proper grown-up operation so hopefully straight and honest.

Carnsoreboxer
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.05.2017  ·  #19
I would advise caution. We bought our first Motorhome 2 years ago and like many know here had a run of plain and simple mishaps most due to never having had one before. In the initial months it was fantastic to have the dealer locally and indeed the support from other craicers here. Would've been a nightmare if we'd purchased abroad

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.05.2017  ·  #20
You can't really take VRT into account as its a fictitious figure that the muppets in Rosslare come up with when they see the vehicle. Nobody knows how they decide on a figure, it's one of the great mysteries of life.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.