ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

carlow stopover

· 
Posted: 29.03.2017  ·  #1
heading in the carlow direction in a couple of week. any tips for parking maybe on the outskirts of carlow, or one of the smaller villages.
cheers

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Re: carlow stopover

· 
Posted: 29.03.2017  ·  #2
If you are looking for a site then Ranco Reillys isnt far from Carlow and it a good spot to stay in.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.03.2017  ·  #3
thanks elmo, ill check that out.

Roadtrippin
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Hymer B584
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2017  ·  #4
Quote by murphy59

heading in the carlow direction in a couple of week. any tips for parking maybe on the outskirts of carlow, or one of the smaller villages.
cheers

The Fighting Cocks pub is about a 20 min drive outside of Carlow town,follow the N80,its near the villages of Fenagh/Ballon they have a large enough car park and I'm sure if you asked to park up it would be fine. They do a great pint and serve food at weekends. It's on a main road but shouldn't be too busy to prevent sleeping.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2017  ·  #5
Quote by Roadtrippin

Quote by murphy59

cheers

The Fighting Cocks pub is about a 20 min drive outside of Carlow town,follow the N80,its near the villages of Fenagh/Ballon they have a large enough car park and I'm sure if you asked to park up it would be fine. They do a great pint and serve food at weekends. It's on a main road but shouldn't be too busy to prevent sleeping.

thankns roadtrippin, sounds good

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2017  ·  #6
thanks tom, i thought at 35 a night it was too expensive. will check out the lord bagnelstown.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

carlow stopover

· 
Posted: 30.03.2017  ·  #7
you could check out the Woodford Dolmen Hotel I have been told they will allow people to park up in their back car park.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.03.2017  ·  #8
Quote by sprinter

you could check out the Woodford Dolmen Hotel I have been told they will allow people to park up in their back car park.

thanks sprinter, looks like a place to stay. is it far into the town or is it walkable

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

carlow stopover

· 
Posted: 30.03.2017  ·  #9
Its about 3km to the shopping center so say 45min.

The Bull
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.03.2017  ·  #10
Some good information there.
My choice would be the Lord Bagenal, James is the owner & the food there is excellent.
The Dolmen is closer but I would not advise anybody to walk from there to Carlow as it is a very busy road with no footpaths or streetlights.
Trying to think of somewhere in Carlow town itself & the only place I can think of is the supermacs car park on the old Dublin road. There is also a car park beside that for Currys PC World but not sure if it has a barrier at night, I know the one at Halfords/Woodies does.
Tescos have a large car park which I don't think has a barrier & there is also Toughers restaurant on the way into Carlow Town if you take exit 4 off the M9 but again that would be a long walk on a busy road into town.
My Son lives in a bungalow 5 mins walk from Borris, I know that it is a little further away but you would certainly be welcome to overnight on his drive.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.03.2017  ·  #11
There is always the Council car park off Potato Market its pay and display but nothing about no overnight parking, maybe someone passing could check if free over night.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.03.2017  ·  #12
Quote by The Bull

My choice would be the Lord Bagenal, James is the owner & the food there is excellent.
The Dolmen is closer but I would not advise anybody to walk from there to Carlow as it is a very busy road with no footpaths or streetlights.
Trying to think of somewhere in Carlow town itself & the only place I can think of is the supermacs car park on the old Dublin road. There is also a car park beside that for Currys PC World but not sure if it has a barrier at night, I know the one at Halfords/Woodies does.
Tescos have a large car park which I don't think has a barrier & there is also Toughers restaurant on the way into Carlow Town if you take exit 4 off the M9 but again that would be a long walk on a busy road into town.
My Son lives in a bungalow 5 mins walk from Borris, I know that it is a little further away but you would certainly be welcome to overnight on his drive.

thanks for that, appreciate it. i was looking at the leighlinbridge, looks like a nice little village. is that the lord bagenal you meant?

The Bull
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.03.2017  ·  #13
Yea that's the one. Not much in the village itself but the Bagenal has its own marina & is quite scenic.
They do be fairly busy with weddings etc & the car park gets fairly full so depending on what night of the week you are going you might need to arrive fairly early
The car park in potato market that was mention would be a good spot except on weekends as the Dinn Ri nightclub is there & there would be revellers making noise at all hours of the night

Roadtrippin
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Hymer B584
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.03.2017  ·  #14
Quote by The Bull

The Tescos doesn't have a barrier but they have a 3 hour limit and are fairly strict the Halfords/Woodies carpark is the same, have seen several cars getting clamped.
Just remembered there is a carpark at the back of the Irishmans pub near the courthouse, accessed from Tullow street, it has a barrier across the entrance and exit but not a height one, no problem staying over night and the exit fee is €3 regardless of time in it. Plus its a stones throw away from the best tapas restaurant I've been to-Mimosa!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

carlow stopover

· 
Posted: 26.04.2017  ·  #15
I was in Carlow last weekend at a motorsport event , based in the Dolmen Hotel. we parked up Sunday night in the car park to the right side of the Hotel, had dinner and a few pints , food was excellent . The were three other vans parked Friday and Saturday. Not a problem for the Hotel and they were very busy with two weddings.
So well done to Them.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.04.2017  ·  #16
thanks for all the replies lads and ladies, have been having trouble logging in but its sorted now.
I had to knock the trip on the head, but i will be doing it shortly, and have some great pics and intel to help.

powermaster
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.04.2019  ·  #17
Easiest and most friendly is all day car park behind Irish man's Pub in old Dublin Rd. Bit tight for 2.4 m wide down side st. but gets easier past working man's club. Quiet and light and more important food and booze nearby.
€3.00;to get out in morning.Can use toilets in pub.
Good hunting.
Powermaster

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.