Avtec L185DRS

magic

Subject:

Avtec L185DRS

· 
Posted: 27.08.2012  ·  #1
Fitted one of these today.

Avtec L185DRS

After getting it tuned and setup in the camper, must admit its fantastic and even better viewing angles than previous avtec's which were great. Well worth the price.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Avtec L185DRS

· 
Posted: 28.08.2012  ·  #2
good tv how much and where did you get it could use in bedroom in home too

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2012  ·  #3
Quote by magic

Fitted one of these today.

Avtec L185DRS

After getting it tuned and setup in the camper, must admit its fantastic and even better viewing angles than previous avtec's which were great. Well worth the price.

:'( :'( Perhaps I'm wrong,BUT

As far as I know Avtex products do not have MPEG4 decoding capability, so after the analogue switch-off on October 24th. to receive terrestrial TV in the South it will be as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2012  ·  #4
Quote by baguette

:'( :'( Perhaps I'm wrong,BUT

As far as I know Avtex products do not have MPEG4 decoding capability, so after the analogue switch-off on October 24th. it will be as useful as a chocolate teapot in the South (26 counties).

Even with a decoder box?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2012  ·  #5
Using a decoder box will of course supply an analogue signal to any tv but the user will loose the digital qualities of the picture.

My point is that Avtex products only employ the earlier MPEG2 standard of DTV decoding and not the later MPEG4 used in the South for all transmissions and elsewhere in Europe for HD transmissions.

Surely one should expect a premium brand like Avtex to be compatible with all standards to be found where its customers may travel, ie All of Europe.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2012  ·  #6
I never really thought of it.

I suppose you are right. They are expensive enough to not do your job.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2012  ·  #7
Once you add a decoder box, the box will be receiving in Mpeg4 and will translate this to the TV which would become basically a monitor. If the TV is HD and the signal from the decoder box also is, then you will get full HD.

If the Mpeg4 signal is being decoded by the box the TV will not lose any digital qualities. An HDMI lead from box to Tv will supply all the necessary digital signal it will need.

Also, Mpeg-4 is not a better picture than mpeg-2, mpeg-4 is just compressed more so that there is more bandwidth available for more channels.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2012  ·  #8
Quote by Ally

Once you add a decoder box, the box will be receiving in Mpeg4 and will translate this to the TV which would become basically a monitor. If the TV is HD and the signal from the decoder box also is, then you will get full HD.

If the Mpeg4 signal is being decoded by the box the TV will not lose any digital qualities. An HDMI lead from box to Tv will supply all the necessary digital signal it will need.

Also, Mpeg-4 is not a better picture than mpeg-2, mpeg-4 is just compressed more so that there is more bandwidth available for more channels.

As you say if the interface is HDMI between two digital units (box/tv) the quality of the picture will be digital, but if the interface is co-axial cable the picture will be analogue via the analogue tuner, with a SCART connection pictures will only be viewable in SD, HD will bot be available.

As regards the difference between MPEG2 and MPEG4 as you say it's a higher compression rate for MPEG4, which is why 'new entrants' to DVB-T are choosing it for both SD and HD transmissions.
Currently there is a debate in the UK concerning the logistics and costs related to adding MPEG4 capability to the broadcast system there as the growth of more and more HD channels together with other broadcast services is expected to exceed the capabilities of the current MPEG2 system at some time in the future.

But, my OP concerned the lack of true multi-standard reception of the Avtex product, being a premium product at a premium price one should not have to purchase additional equipment to get full use from it. After all if Tesco can supply MPEG4 capable low end products to the Irish market surely Avtex should ensure their high end products perform similarly, or perhaps Avtex are not interested in their customers, both UK and Irish, being able to receive UK and Irish produced programs when touring in Saorview land.

magic

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2012  ·  #9
Interesting debate, all I can input to this though is
No1 The sat decoder is built into the LED TV so no need for any link up cables.
No2 The TV is connected to the maxview dish and in combination receives BBC HD etc
Prior to this MH we took out last MH to France this year and whilst on the spanish /French border the combination of the maxview system and an 16" Avtec TV we still recieved astra signals whilst other setups lost signal.
This current 18.5 inch LED only draws 30watts of power and the picture and audio is even better than our last avtec.

If ever we need mpeg4 decoder that will be a simple job of getting a decoder, but its a bit like HD ready TV's we have had them for years and they only starting to come into real use lately :(

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2012  ·  #10
Quote by baguette

But, my OP concerned the lack of true multi-standard reception of the Avtex product, being a premium product at a premium price one should not have to purchase additional equipment to get full use from it. After all if Tesco can supply MPEG4 capable low end products to the Irish market surely Avtex should ensure their high end products perform similarly, or perhaps Avtex are not interested in their customers, both UK and Irish, being able to receive UK and Irish produced programs when touring in Saorview land.

It will still work perfectly with a mpeg-4 decoder box so not as useless as a Chocolate tea pot :) - I think my Avtex is great, the picture is better than most I have seen, the viewing angles are superb and the UK built in freeview decoder seems to pick up more channels easier than any other I have seen. Although It does seem silly not to provide an mpeg-4 decoder especially in the latest models.

Will an Irish Saorview mpeg-4 decoder work in France?, they are both in mepg-4 but are they using the same channels/frequency. Will we need a decoder for each country?

There is no benefit from HD with a TV 32" or smaller, other than the fact some channels or only broadcast in HD.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2012  ·  #11
What I fail to understand is if Tesco, Argos and other UK based retailers can upgrade the firmware in their UK Freeview (MPEG2) TV's to include MPEG4 before shipping them to their Irish stores for Saorview customers, why are Avtex and other suppliers to the leisure market unwilling to do the same for their customers who could benefit from the same functionality.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2012  ·  #12
Good point, never realised the firmware could be changed on them to mpeg-4. Wonder can they be flashed.

TonyS
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2012  ·  #13
Maybe there is a software update for it?

Never see the other posts till now...lol

Leisure Tech Solutions
Craic'er
Homepage: leisuretechnicalso…
Subject:

Freeview tv options

· 
Posted: 30.08.2012  ·  #14
Hi all

Have a range of 12v tv's in at the moment,, they will recieve freeview channels and saorview from the digital aerial, no need for other devices,, built in satellite tuner also

they are ideal for customers touring north and south of the isle,,

they are the megasat range of tv's

also still doing the avtex tellys..

Simon

Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2012  ·  #15
Nice one Simon.

Good to see you posting.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2012  ·  #16
Have emailed Avtex to see if there will be a flash upgrade to their Bios to make them Mpeg4.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2012  ·  #17
Hi I'm afraid not at the moment I'm afraid it's more than software that would need updating but hardware too.

Kind Regards
Duane Bateson

I'm afraid as with many major brands sold in the uk this would be the case too. Southern Ireland and a couple of places in Europe use this different system most of Europe use the format we do and I'm afraid we have to cater for the majority. I hope in the future we will be able to offer a model that can accommodate this format too.

To add if used with a free view box from over there you will still get the same digital quality.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2012  ·  #18
Is it just me or is he afraid of a lot?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2012  ·  #19
Quote by mark

Is it just me or is he afraid of a lot?

Scared sh*tless if you ask me :)

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.09.2012  ·  #20
Quote by Ally

Hi I'm afraid not at the moment I'm afraid it's more than software that would need updating but hardware too.

Kind Regards
Duane Bateson

I'm afraid as with many major brands sold in the uk this would be the case too. Southern Ireland and a couple of places in Europe use this different system most of Europe use the format we do and I'm afraid we have to cater for the majority. I hope in the future we will be able to offer a model that can accommodate this format too.

To add if used with a free view box from over there you will still get the same digital quality.

That doesn't seem to add up.
I was in my local Tesco to-day and their stock of TV's is all UK 'Freeview' with 'Saorview' stickers added. Other UK chains are the same, (Curry's, Argos, etc.) so it is unlikely to be anything other than a software or firmware upgrade, if a hardware change was required I would expect Tesco etc. to be selling specially assembled 'Saorview' only units for this market.

I remember back in the '80's a mate of mine was importing Audiosonic portables from France and all they did was take the set out of the box, adjusted the audio/vidio separation, put them back in the box and into stock.

IMHO 'Avtex and the rest of the UK based sellers are not just interested in supplying the MPEG4 sector of the market.
MPEG4 is not an 'odd ball' variant as 'Avtex seem to imply, it is the newest technology which is being adopted by current and recent entrants into the DVB-T scene, MPEG2 is 'old hat'. I wonder are 'Avtex still stuck in the old Windows 95 environment for their I.T. systems too.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2012  ·  #21
He is also saying most of Europe use Mpeg2, is that true? it seems silly not to change them when they are backwards compatible anyhow.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2012  ·  #22
Quote by Ally

He is also saying most of Europe use Mpeg2, is that true? it seems silly not to change them when they are backwards compatible anyhow.

Half true, most of Europe also use MPEG4 see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T

Yes MPEG4 is backwards compatible for MPEG2, so as you say why they have not adopted this higher level technology as standard doe not make sense, particularly when 'Avtex claim to represent the pinnacle of the market.

BTW, 'Avtex's latest advertisement in The CC Magazine makes no mention that their products have Blu-ray disc compatibility either, so much for 'leading edge, multi-standard' pieces of technology.

I love their tag line "WHY COMPROMISE ?" which is exactly what they want us to do O-)

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.09.2012  ·  #23
No Blu-Ray is an issue for me, I use LoveFilm for rentals and always get Blu-Ray sent to the house, would be nice if I could bring these with me in the Motorhome.

Maybe time to change my TV.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.09.2012  ·  #24
Spanner in the works? Have a read of this...

HERE

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2012  ·  #25
Quote by Ally

Spanner in the works? Have a read of this...

HERE

I think the poster ONECAL is mixing up the current analogue transmissions (which are available on 'Avtex and other PAL Analogue receivers until 24/10/2012) with the DVB-T Saorview which requires receivers to have MPEG4 decoding capability.

For the non Gaelic speakers the word Saorview is a Gealic/English contrivance of a word ............Saor = Free and tag on the English word view, hence Saorview is the same type of product as Freeview.

magic

Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.09.2012  ·  #26
We just use the TV for satellite reception on astra and we get that right down as far as Spain easy enough unless parked near a tree or sommit so MPEG4 dont effect our usage. The fact the TV can pause live TV while we get another drink is of more use lol. If sommit in the road just pop in a DVD or chill with some music :) That said we dont watch much TV when in the camper.
Last time I put a new TV aerial up at home added an RTE one as well think we watched one film one night and that was about it in 7 years. Freeview/Sat gives to many choices never mind what sky has as well.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2012  ·  #27
Quote by magic

We just use the TV for satellite reception on astra and we get that right down as far as Spain easy enough unless parked near a tree or sommit so MPEG4 dont effect our usage. The fact the TV can pause live TV while we get another drink is of more use lol. If sommit in the road just pop in a DVD or chill with some music :) That said we dont watch much TV when in the camper.
Last time I put a new TV aerial up at home added an RTE one as well think we watched one film one night and that was about it in 7 years. Freeview/Sat gives to many choices never mind what sky has as well.

I can never understand why those who simply want to watch DVD's and Satellite TV don't buy something like this (which is top spec with the best possible viewing angles) and an inverter for £30. What IS the attraction of 'Avtex stuff apart from the fact it will run directly of 12volt and has quick/easy/ one-step tuning (which is not required if only Sat reception is being used).

The cash saved will buy a lot of wine :D :D

onecal

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2012  ·  #28
Hi,
I think it all about " having choice"....like why do some people buy Caravans,,or some Motorhomes and tow with them. Hope you don't think I am mixing things up here :D . I don't usually 🇧🇭 if one takes time to re read my post on same on another fourm :-)
Regards,
Brendan

magic

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2012  ·  #29
I suppose Baguette some people just dont get why some go on about mpeg4, as onecal says its all about choice. Our new Avtex has the best crystal clear pic Ive seen on a Tv , we have a big plasma at home and a smaller 32 lcd in the kitchen, neither are a clear as the Avtex LED and as it only draws 35w for a 18.5" TV battery power is never an issue. Old saying dont knock it to yee try it.
Your right about the wine though as one trip to France saves the price of a Avtex TV compared to Uk prices :D :D

onecal

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2012  ·  #30
Hi,
you are quite right it is all about choice :sleep: , and that is your choice to make let it be Avetex TV or whatever,,lol,,,,,to make a statement that the Avtex TV's do not operate on the Saorview signal is not true 🇧🇭 and that is keeping it simple. :D Re read my posts on other fourms, :up:
Regards,
Brendan

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.