Importing campervan from Germany

benvoy44
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Importing campervan from Germany

· 
Posted: 31.01.2017  ·  #1
Just wondering if anyone out there has knowledge about importing a motorhome from Germany. I know the VRT is 13.3 % and is based on the market value of the vehicle and is never set in stone. What I am not sure about is whether you have to pay the VAT in Germany as well as paying the VRT at home? Anyone gone through this process?

raglanroad
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Campeo 600 pop top
Base Vehicle: 2020 ducato
Subject:

Re: Importing campervan from Germany

· 
Posted: 31.01.2017  ·  #2
I brought one in in 2006, no vat just vrt here, dealer sets up temp reg plates.

benvoy44
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2017  ·  #3
Thanks a mill for reply.
Just wondering did you pay VAT at source in Germany? If I can buy at the net prices quoted in Germany then it might be worth importing and paying VRT but if I have to pay gross price then it most certainly won't.

voyager
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2017  ·  #4
I imported second hand from Germany in 2014. Price paid in Germany included VAT. Paid VRT only here

I know someone who imported new from Germany 2015. He had to pay full price including VAT in Germany. In Ireland he had to pay VAT and VRT. When he sent proof of VAT payment in Ireland he received a refund of the German VAT

VAT needs to be paid at one end of the transaction unfortunately

drifter
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Hobby 690GFS
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD on an AL-KO chassis
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2017  ·  #5
Quote by voyager

I imported second hand from Germany in 2014. Price paid in Germany included VAT. Paid VRT only here

I know someone who imported new from Germany 2015. He had to pay full price including VAT in Germany. In Ireland he had to pay VAT and VRT. When he sent proof of VAT payment in Ireland he received a refund of the German VAT

VAT needs to be paid at one end of the transaction unfortunately

Did you save any money as result of buying in Germany and importing? Also was there any problem in obtaining insurance coverage for the period from when you purchased in Germany up until you got the vehicle registered in Ireland?

voyager
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.02.2017  ·  #6
Yes I saved quite a bit on the deal. I researched on line (mobile.de), did a shortlist , rang the dealers and pretty much bought the van over the phone, subject to it being in the advertised condition when viewed. I avoided private deals in order to be able to get the temporary insurance and plates pre-arranged by the dealer. I paid 300 euro for the latter with 5 days insurance included. The dealers speak english sufficiently well. The process was quite painless - except for the payment of course !

benvoy44
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2017  ·  #7
Thanks for replies. I am not sure there is much to be saved so if you have to pay VAT at source and VRT on return. There is a much broader selection of campervans in Germany of course. Did you know how much VRT you were going to pay when you bought the van? The process involving VRT appears to be very hit and miss.

voyager
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2017  ·  #8
Didn't know the final VRT figure when I purchased ( that's the lottery bit).

The van I bought was just 6 months old so there was very little to go on based on the second hand market here.

I worked out an estimated VRT figure, which was along the lines of 'well I'd be happy with that and I'll appeal if its more than that'

I was surprised that the actual figure was under what I was expecting to pay. But as I've said - its a lottery

benvoy44
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2017  ·  #9
Thanks for that. Appreciate the reply. I spoke to another guy who appealed VRT and got 10% reduction. He had to get 2 other cheaper quotes from dealers. His VRT was too high so you are right its a total lottery.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.