hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Citreon Relay
Subject:

Hymer 494 2001

· 
Posted: 31.12.2016  ·  #1
Thinking of looking at Hymer 494 year 2001. Any advice on what to look out for or questions to ask when I am viewing appreciated please

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Re: Hymer 494 2001

· 
Posted: 31.12.2016  ·  #2
Dampness is the obvious issue, so well worth either taking a meter or having the van tested. Look out for the smell as soon as you open the door. Beware air fresheners.

Service record is worth asking about. Also check if the vehicle is free of H.P or other loan and accident damage. Lots of online companies for this.

Try all fittings (oven, fridge etc) especially if it is a private sale were recourse is difficult. Worth asking for a recent gas inspection certificate or test if you are serious about the van.

Tyres can be overlooked in terms of age. Look at dates as you might end up shelling out for 4 soon after purchase if they are over about 5 to 7 years. Otherwise apply all the usual checks and tests that you would if buying a car.

On the plus side, when you look at how many older Hymers are still on the road and looking good, then it could be a good buy.

Davy

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Citreon Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.12.2016  ·  #3
Thanks Davy, great advice. This one is in dealers so good to know questions to ask, thanks

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.12.2016  ·  #4
from what i know the 494 hymer is the smallest hymer,i never drove one with the 1.9 engine so cant comment on what its like, ours is the 2.5td engine with the 544 layout which is bigger than the 494 but a very common and popular layout . hymers are well put together and if looked after can last well,check for rear fitted seatbelts and any service documentation for both van and habitation, also any mot/cvrt test,
i'm sure more experienced than me will come along with more advice, best of luck and whatever you do dont rush!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.