Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Citreon Relay
Subject:

Driving LHD in Ireland

· 
Posted: 21.12.2016  ·  #1
I would appreciate some advice please!
I'm looking for a compact motorhome for use here and possibly UK. I have seen a Hymer 494 within my budget but it's lhd. Has anyone experience of driving lhd on our roads and, if so, the cons. I will be driving alone some of the time so won't always have a co-driver on the right side.
Thank you in advance for any advice!

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

Re: Driving LHD in Ireland

· 
Posted: 21.12.2016  ·  #2
I think you have answered your own question yourself, driving on your own can be a pain if you are behind a larger vehicle than a car because you have most of your vehicle out on the Road before you can see if it is safe to overtake, you could possibly you could fit a Camera and monitor to overcome that, it was never a real problem for us because I nearly always had a co pilote. another thing your Passenger would not want to be of a nervous type. other than that I found driving the LHD no problem.

JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.12.2016  ·  #3
I have a LHD. I have to remember to be square on at angled junctions, otherwise fine. I don't overtake often!!!

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.12.2016  ·  #4
I also have a LHD and while it took a bit of getting used to, particularly on narrow roads, I soon did. Like JonMac, I dont do a lot of overtaking so it hasnt been a problem

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Citreon Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.12.2016  ·  #5
Thank you all for your input. I think that, as I will be travelling alone, a LHD may not be for me. I will have to keep a look out for a rhd small motorhome or van conversion. Trouble is, my eyes are bigger than my budget

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.12.2016  ·  #6
I had both left and right(RHD at the moment).I spent a lot of time on the continent over the last 25 years.
I think its a lot easier to drive a left hand drive here as it is to drive a right hand drive on the continent,because you know where you are going here you can read and understand the road signs,so you only have to concentrate on driving.
So if you are condersinding going to the continent go with the LHD.
My first choice would LHD if were to go on the continent again. :up: :up:

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.12.2016  ·  #7
I have been driving american vehicles for 20 years and graduated from a day-van to a coach-built. Although my current van is fiat based, I saw no reason not to buy it as it was local and reasonably cheap in comparison to others I had looked at.
Benefits
It will be an advantage whenever I make it to France etc. Secondly I find it is easier handled on smaller roads as you can get in as far as the limit without hitting overhanging branches or staying too far out due to guesstimating your width and the oncoming traffic can see the available distance and be responsible for not hitting that side hopefully.

Disadvantages
Passing high vehicles eg tractor and silage trailer, due to restricted forward vision. Secondly. remembering to arrive at 90 degrees at junctions or enterances to roundabouts when there is no passenger. I have no window in the habitational door which is directly behind the passenger door and at times I cannot see down the road when at a junction and end up removing the seat belt and hanging across the dash to check. Sometimes hanging back at a junction by 2 car lengths allows a chance to avail of a gap on oncoming traffic.

drifter
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Hobby 690GFS
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD on an AL-KO chassis
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.12.2016  ·  #8
If you are going to drive it mainly in Ireland - might be better to for RHD

I have driven my RHD vehicle lots on the continent which is the opposite of driving LHD here in Ireland or UK. Basically it is not ideal but having said that it can be done. You would have to make extra sensible precautions to compensate for the disadvantages

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.