Forums » Motorhome Chat

Mini meet

• 10 posts
    May 2, 2021 8:30 PM BST
    I was a tenter then a caravaner for over 50 years so I welcome all where the services are appropriate .
    • 163 posts
    May 2, 2021 8:39 PM BST
    Leo Duffy said:
    I was a tenter then a caravaner for over 50 years so I welcome all where the services are appropriate .

That is exactly how I see it Leo,we all had to start somewhere.
    • 199 posts
    May 2, 2021 8:44 PM BST
    NormanNTG Gordon said:
    Folks maybe the time has come for motorhomers not to see caravans as foreign bodies.

I know that I am playing devils advocate but when we pull into a caravan site we are made welcome so long as there is room.

I am away to put on the bullet proof vest before the bullets start flying."emoticon_img"

You definitely are Norman. I have nothing against tenters or caravanners as I have been both before motorhoming. The only thing that would annoy me about a caravan pulling into an Aire for motorhomes is that there is adequate provision for caravans on sites. Generally caravan sites only allow you to book on for multiple days which does not suit motorhomes and we don't need the facilities caravanners generally look for. If sites made more provision for 1/2 night booking for motorhomes at a reasonable price I would have no issue with a caravan pulling into Portumna say. That's my take on it but we will all a different take on it.
    • 14 posts
    May 2, 2021 8:45 PM BST
    Only 0ne hard strand left to nite and five grass ones left....as for EU. Think all hard strands have it.... didn't count them.
    • 163 posts
    May 2, 2021 8:57 PM BST
    Ger McClinton said:
    NormanNTG Gordon said:
    Folks maybe the time has come for motorhomers not to see caravans as foreign bodies.

I know that I am playing devils advocate but when we pull into a caravan site we are made welcome so long as there is room.

I am away to put on the bullet proof vest before the bullets start flying."emoticon_img"

You definitely are Norman. I have nothing against tenters or caravanners as I have been both before motorhoming. The only thing that would annoy me about a caravan pulling into an Aire for motorhomes is that there is adequate provision for caravans on sites. Generally caravan sites only allow you to book on for multiple days which does not suit motorhomes and we don't need the facilities caravanners generally look for. If sites made more provision for 1/2 night booking for motorhomes at a reasonable price I would have no issue with a caravan pulling into Portumna say. That's my take on it but we will all a different take on it.

Yea Ger the down side of all this Covid thing is one nighters for us motorhomes are going to be very hard to find by.
    • 62 posts
    May 2, 2021 9:01 PM BST
    I have no problem or ever had a problem with Caravans, we started out Camping ourselves with Caravans. The ones I have problems with are the Councils and Government authorities who take Massive vrt and Road tax money not to mention the amount of vat we are paying. They then reward us with hight barriers and no parking signs. It isn’t that they didn’t know what was going to happen this year, they have the figures, all the Motorhomes in the country are registered with them, what did they think people were going to do with them, use them as Chicken coups?. There are thousands of fields around our coast and in land that would make suitable Aires and get the excess Motorhomes off the side of the road where they are forced to park, but if anyone wanted to develop these fields the same Councils would put them through hoops with red tape and expense. I’m sure Caravaners are under similar pressure to get parking, only in there case they aren’t under the same expense as us.
    • 11 posts
    May 2, 2021 9:45 PM BST
    Pat Ryan~CHAUSSON said:
    I have no problem or ever had a problem with Caravans, we started out Camping ourselves with Caravans. The ones I have problems with are the Councils and Government authorities who take Massive vrt and Road tax money not to mention the amount of vat we are paying. They then reward us with hight barriers and no parking signs. It isn’t that they didn’t know what was going to happen this year, they have the figures, all the Motorhomes in the country are registered with them, what did they think people were going to do with them, use them as Chicken coups?. There are thousands of fields around our coast and in land that would make suitable Aires and get the excess Motorhomes off the side of the road where they are forced to park, but if anyone wanted to develop these fields the same Councils would put them through hoops with red tape and expense. I’m sure Caravaners are under similar pressure to get parking, only in there case they aren’t under the same expense as us.
    Well said fair and frank. How come the councils can't see it?
    • 199 posts
    May 2, 2021 10:11 PM BST
    Pat Ryan~CHAUSSON said:
    The ones I have problems with are the Councils and Government authorities who take Massive vrt and Road tax money not to mention the amount of vat we are paying. They then reward us with hight barriers and no parking signs. It isn’t that they didn’t know what was going to happen this year, they have the figures, all the Motorhomes in the country are registered with them, what did they think people were going to do with them, use them as Chicken coups?. There are thousands of fields around our coast and in land that would make suitable Aires and get the excess Motorhomes off the side of the road where they are forced to park, but if anyone wanted to develop these fields the same Councils would put them through hoops with red tape and expense.

Totally agree Pat...local councils could help solve Motorhome parking issues by providing the infrastructure themselves and relaxing red tape around private Aire development.
    • 114 posts
    May 3, 2021 12:13 AM BST
    Councils want private MH parking areas but put up as many obstacles to doing this as they can
    • 286 posts
    May 3, 2021 8:59 AM BST
    My thoughts exactly Pat.

Hopefully once we get going properly we can continue great work already done by us and others with the Motorhome Council of Ireland and NI.
    • 163 posts
    May 3, 2021 10:30 AM BST
    Pat Ryan~CHAUSSON said:

Exactly Pat,one of our own local councils are so biased towards motorhomes that it is plain to see. With a lot of lobbying they put in a small Aires which holds 10 motorhomes, and where did they put it?

In a car park with a slope in it when they could have used the East strand car park which is as flat as a book leak and could have accommodated 50 spaces without any problem.

Now try and book one of the greedy caravan sites and you will be quoted a minimum stay period and about £30 a night.
    • 199 posts
    May 3, 2021 2:32 PM BST
    NormanNTG Gordon said:
    Exactly Pat,one of our own local councils are so biased towards motorhomes that it is plain to see. With a lot of lobbying they put in a small Aires which holds 10 motorhomes, and where did they put it?

In a car park with a slope in it when they could have used the East strand car park which is as flat as a book leak and could have accommodated 50 spaces without any problem.

Typical Norman...no real thought or planning. That's the people running our local services.
    • 44 posts
    May 3, 2021 8:30 PM BST
    I'm saying nothing about caravans, but when I next talk to Joe, I do intend to ask the question, as its on the sign no caravans.
    He has done Great job it's great example of how easy it is to get things off the ground, and of the statement build it, and the people will use it.
    • 114 posts
    May 3, 2021 8:34 PM BST
    There was caravans there last year too, personally I don't see any harm in it, they know what the facilities are
  • May 3, 2021 8:37 PM BST
    I see no harm in it either. I just counted the units and made a comment on the amount of each. As I said earlier. I could care less whether they are there or not
    • 62 posts
    May 3, 2021 9:47 PM BST
    They might not be too bad in Norman view, Someone said they wouldn't mind seeing them in Portumna, Well I saw them the last and only time I was there, I had to move on, ok it was an ethnic minority Gathering, I'm not going to comment on that or the state of the place, what I will say with Caravans is there is a car or some other vehicle accompanying the Caravan which in essence is the footprint of Two Motorhomes and these Aires were never designed for such parking, it is hard enough to find parking for one vehicle not to mind two.
    • 18 posts
    May 3, 2021 10:00 PM BST
    Love Joe's, booked in for June Bank Holiday, can't wait
    • 199 posts
    May 3, 2021 10:53 PM BST
    Pat Ryan~CHAUSSON said:
    Someone said they wouldn't mind seeing them in Portumna

Yeah Pat I made the comment in the context of motorhomes being provided with pitches at a reasonable price on campsites that we didn't have to book for a week at a time. Then I would be happy enough with a caravan on an Aire taking up one pitch. I don't see it happening though. Agree with all your other points.
    • 114 posts
    May 3, 2021 11:19 PM BST
    Pat Ryan~CHAUSSON said:
    They might not be too bad in Norman view, Someone said they wouldn't mind seeing them in Portumna, Well I saw them the last and only time I was there, I had to move on, ok it was an ethnic minority Gathering, I'm not going to comment on that or the state of the place, what I will say with Caravans is there is a car or some other vehicle accompanying the Caravan which in essence is the footprint of Two Motorhomes and these Aires were never designed for such parking, it is hard enough to find parking for one vehicle not to mind two.

Have to agree with you Pat
    • 62 posts
    May 4, 2021 9:29 AM BST
    Ger McClinton said:
    Pat Ryan~CHAUSSON said:
    Someone said they wouldn't mind seeing them in Portumna

Yeah Pat I made the comment in the context of motorhomes being provided with pitches at a reasonable price on campsites that we didn't have to book for a week at a time. Then I would be happy enough with a caravan on an Aire taking up one pitch. I don't see it happening though. Agree with all your other points.

While I see where you are coming from,Ger, Like yourself I can’t see it happening . What I can see happening is Motorhome owners getting very irate when they come to a full Aire that have only planning for Motorhomes and Caravans taking up the Last parking spaces
    • 199 posts
    May 4, 2021 4:39 PM BST
    Pat Ryan~CHAUSSON said:

While I see where you are coming from,Ger, Like yourself I can’t see it happening . What I can see happening is Motorhome owners getting very irate when they come to a full Aire that have only planning for Motorhomes and Caravans taking up the Last parking spaces
    Totally agree Pat.... like yourself I wouldn't be a happy bunny if that was the case\ud83d\ude21
    • 199 posts
    May 4, 2021 4:41 PM BST
    Pat Ryan~CHAUSSON said:

Totally agree Pat.... like yourself I wouldn't be a happy bunny if that was the case\ud83d\ude21