Forums » Mechanical & Technical

Domestic Rm7401 intermittent faults in gas

• 62 posts
    April 30, 2021 9:53 PM BST
    Have been plagued with faults on our fridge, sometimes it wouldn’t ignite to start with and I would have to ignite it with a match and it could work for probably 20 hr. I found if I jiggled the multi pin plug inside the bottom outside access panel, it might work alright for a while, I was going to replace the lead but after a bit of research I found that I could buy new connectors for the multi pin plug

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-connector-contacts/7620698/?origin=PSF_435696%7Cacc />
    Cutting to the chase, I replaced all 7 and it is firing up perfect now without any issues. I’v enough connectors to do six more Motorhomes left over should anyone need some, just PM me and I can let you have some FOC
    • 114 posts
    April 30, 2021 10:28 PM BST
    Great you got it fixed Pat, fridges can be a pain to sort out, so many small things that can stop them
    • 62 posts
    April 30, 2021 11:07 PM BST
    Sure is Dave and thanks for all your advice too.
    • 51 posts
    May 1, 2021 8:34 AM BST
    Good result Pat and nice gesture to help out other Craicers with parts emoticon_img
    • 31 posts
    May 1, 2021 9:37 AM BST
    Good job. Out of curiosity, how would you light it with a match Pat?
    • 62 posts
    May 1, 2021 9:54 AM BST
    I removed the bottom outside access panel, turned on the fridge to gas and as it was attempting to ignite I used a long match to ignite the burner which is inside a sheet metal cover that I imagine is to stop the wind blowing it out while operating, Jason.
    • 114 posts
    May 1, 2021 10:19 AM BST
    Or you can use a long candle lighter
    • 10 posts
    May 1, 2021 2:05 PM BST
    Great to get it fixed. That type of intermittent fault is very annoying and can be hard to find. Great resource here for these type of problems.
    • 62 posts
    May 1, 2021 2:55 PM BST
    Wicked annoying Leo, you would be much better off if it stopped working altogether
    • 56 posts
    May 1, 2021 6:10 PM BST
    Pat, it’s good you found a fix, always something else to check if the fridge doesn’t work properly
  • May 1, 2021 9:24 PM BST
    Pat Ryan~CHAUSSON said:
    Wicked annoying Leo, you would be much better off if it stopped working altogether

• 41 posts
    May 1, 2021 10:56 PM BST
    Pat Ryan~CHAUSSON said:
    Have been plagued with faults on our fridge, sometimes it wouldn’t ignite to start with and I would have to ignite it with a match and it could work for probably 20 hr. I found if I jiggled the multi pin plug inside the bottom outside access panel, it might work alright for a while, I was going to replace the lead but after a bit of research I found that I could buy new connectors for the multi pin plug

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-connector-contacts/7620698/?origin=PSF_435696%7Cacc />
    Cutting to the chase, I replaced all 7 and it is firing up perfect now without any issues. I’v enough connectors to do six more Motorhomes left over should anyone need some, just PM me and I can let you have some FOC

I had the same problem and replacing those connections sorted it. As part of the fix, the unit was relocated a bit higher up where it is less likely to suffer weather-related corrosion in the future.
    • 62 posts
    May 2, 2021 1:08 PM BST
    Good tip Colin, But on our one the bottom access panel is mounted very low and it is very awkward to work on the multi pin socket, it would be hard to move it up. I thought I would have to remove the fridge to fit the connectors but after studying it we were able to pull the cable up and out the top panel opening, that made it easy to fit the connectors before pulling it back down with a bit of string that we attached to the cable before we pulled it up.
    • 114 posts
    May 2, 2021 2:26 PM BST
    Good tip Pat
    • 41 posts
    May 3, 2021 11:38 AM BST
    Mine was fixed by chopping off the original plug and joining the new one to the original loom. That meant there was no need to access the connections at the top of the fridge. It also provided a bit of extra length to play with.
    • 62 posts
    May 3, 2021 12:03 PM BST
    I toyed with the idea of crimping short wire tails on to the connectors and joining the cables like you did but it still would be a pain to join the wires where they were located. The black wires were no problem but the three coloured ones were a pain. In all fairness it was no problem to pull the cable up to the upper access point.
    • 199 posts
    May 3, 2021 2:42 PM BST
    Pat Ryan~CHAUSSON said:
    Good tip Colin, But on our one the bottom access panel is mounted very low and it is very awkward to work on the multi pin socket, it would be hard to move it up. I thought I would have to remove the fridge to fit the connectors but after studying it we were able to pull the cable up and out the top panel opening, that made it easy to fit the connectors before pulling it back down with a bit of string that we attached to the cable before we pulled it up.

That's a great tip Pat.
    • 41 posts
    May 3, 2021 6:14 PM BST
    Pat Ryan~CHAUSSON said:
    .............................. but after studying it we were able to pull the cable up and out the top panel opening, that made it easy to fit the connectors before pulling it back down with a bit of string that we attached to the cable before we pulled it up.

The bit of string is a good idea.

When running a cable it's also a good idea to leave the string or cord in place afterwards as it's ready and available the next time the route has to be used if fitting something else.
    • 18 posts
    May 4, 2021 8:06 PM BST
    Ours goes on and off sometimes too pat, but pj has,as advised on craic last year to tap with hammer and it works, but definitely the valve is our problem, so how long more it will last is anyone's guess, motorhome fridges are more temperamental than our teenagers :)
    • 2 posts
    May 4, 2021 8:19 PM BST
    Pat Ryan~CHAUSSON said:
    I toyed with the idea of crimping short wire tails on to the connectors and joining the cables like you did but it still would be a pain to join the wires where they were located. The black wires were no problem but the three coloured ones were a pain. In all fairness it was no problem to pull the cable up to the upper access point.

Consider using the spray that will make the plug water tight,
    I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it but it is supposed to be the bees knees from what I heard a few years back
    • 62 posts
    May 5, 2021 8:54 PM BST
    Doreen, Id rather work on a temperamental Fridge any day than work on temperamental Teen's. Lol

Nosey Fella, Thanks for the tip, I know what you are on about, The Electrical Guys at work use it.