Solar Installation Advice Needed.

Sol
Craic'er
Subject:

Solar Installation Advice Needed.

· 
Posted: 10.09.2015  ·  #1
Hi, Big thanks for taking the time to take a look at this.

I know a bit about electrics and a bit about solar, but a bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

I plan to fit a 100W or 130W panel to my motorhome.

For weight distribution I want the panel close to the front of my motor home as possible, thinking of putting it directly behind the front Sky Light, so as to minimise any extra drag and fuel consumption.

I already have a unused hole in my roof from where the sat dish used to be, I would rather use this than drill a new hole, It is located at the back of the motorhome directly above a closet.

I plan to put the charge controller in the closet and then run to the leisure batterys which are located in the middle of the motorhome. Since the motorhome has a double floor I can fairly easily run the cable directly to the batteries.

Distance from panel to Charge Controller, approx 4 meters.
Distance from Charge Controller to batterys 4.5 meters. Cable size: 2.5m2 should be okay?

Any one see any issues with this plan?

I am wondering the best place to acquire a solar panel and parts for fitting?
I see there is a seller on Adverts with kits. But would be interested if anyone here is a supply, please contact me. (I'm in Co.Clare so would be looking to have the kit posted to me).

Many Thanks
Sol

Subject:

Re: Solar Installation Advice Needed.

· 
Posted: 10.09.2015  ·  #2
I don't know anything about electrics but when I was buying our solar panel I noticed the less expensive ones has very light cable. I wouldn't be sure if this is a potential issue with your length of cable runs.
I personally can't see it being a problem when it is only a few metres but might be worth finding out if there would be any significant loss with lighter cable.

I also discovered that solar panels never produce 100% of their potential. Our 120 watt has produced 9amp on a few occasions in France.

Hope this is of some help.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2015  ·  #3
the depth of my knowledge on this is to keep the controller as to the batteries as physically possible to reduce voltage drop. You can order kits/parts off ebay and the likes but make sure the panel you buy is a genuine 12v based one and not a domestic 240v based one, also get a decent quality controller the range manufactured by EP Solar seem to get good reviews and they cover standard and MPPT types as well as ones which will give a dual charge i.e. leisure batteries at say 90% and cab battery at 10%. When installing the cable gland make sure the cable goes into it away from the direction of travel to reduce the chance of water ingress and make sure you fix the panel extremely securely as I passed one lying on the motorway in France during the summer which had come off!

There are online calculators which will tell you what size of cable to use from the controller to the batteries, and dont forget to fuse it both from the panel to the controller (allows you to isolate it without power getting to the controller) and between the controller and the battery.

Sol
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.09.2015  ·  #4
hmmm,

Okay thanks for those tips, given me some new directions to research.

Maybe I would be better off putting the charge controller along side the batteries and keep the panel cables longer.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.