Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Nantes elephant.

· 
Posted: 11.11.2014  ·  #2
I try to avoid Nantes as I went there once by mistake with a caravan en-tow and near had a nervous breakdown! Saying that, that looks class and could be worth a visit

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2014  ·  #3
Quote by the fat controller

I try to avoid Nantes as I went there once by mistake with a caravan en-tow and near had a nervous breakdown!

I know what you mean John. I had a similar experience years ago with a caravan and arrived at the same place 3 times. That was before the age of satnav.

The elephant does look interesting. I see it must be booked online.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2014  ·  #4
It was like groundhog day the number of times I was in the same place, but I had two satnavs with me, they were both cr@p as it was about 10 years ago. Scarred for life :lol:

Exbiker
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2014  ·  #5
Us too, nearly a divorce just to get out of the car park I'd pulled into to try and find where we were on the the map, pre sat nav also. Nantes is a lovely town just not to drive through. 🇧🇭

Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2014  ·  #6
We are not doing too much for Nantes tourism here but the Elephant looks great

JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2014  ·  #7
I hate the 2 bridges crossing the Loire [?]

Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2014  ·  #8
I know what you mean. We called it the land of the bridges for years.

Another1
My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2014  ·  #9
We were in Nantes this year. Stayed at the Petit Port camp site, very convenient, clean and very close to the tramway system. Used the tram to go into what turned out to be a very nice city. Worth a walk around. The elephant and all associated mechanical "bugs" and "creepy crawlies" is very impressive, well worth a look. I would suggest a night or two to see this very unusual piece of engineering is well worth the stop.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2014  ·  #10
Thanks for the info.

We always zoom past Nantes but might take a few days there in 2015.

I don't know if zoom is the right word but the peripherique est is usually flowing reasonable well.

wicklowelk
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Swift Escape
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2014  ·  #11
Stopped over for 2 nights at the Petit Port campsite - really friendly with excellent facilities. Spent two fabulous days in this lovely city which is perfect for walking around and has a brilliant tram system. We were blown away with the mechanical creations on Ile de Nantes and had an amazing ride on the elephant! Would recommend it for old and young alike and kept asking ourselves why we had avoided this gem for so long. Five stars from us!

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2016  ·  #12
We stayed in Nantes Camping...see No 1501 in 2016 ACSI . The tram was outside the gate, you buy a ticket for a day and can travel in various directions. We went down to main centre...along river is Jukes Verne with the Elephant. There is a castle opposite direction on the river. Lots of shops.
Campsite is on a busy corner, opposite a college.

The town we felt was a nightmare years ago was La Rochelle, in wrong lane entering the town, therefore avoided for years until last time and we stayed in the Aire in car park, full but perfect timed it someone was leaving. La Rochelle looked nothing like we remembered.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2016  ·  #13
This thread was from 2014 when we were thinking about 2015. Weather was not that good in the north half of the country during out trip and we stayed south much longer than usual so never got to see the elephant in Nantes.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2016  ·  #14
We were in Nantes 2 weeks ago lovely campsite with tram outside the gates €8 for 24 hour ticket for 2 gets you everywhere and very frequent

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2016  ·  #15
With regard to the elephant, be aware that it is withdrawn from service ( for maintainence) for a week in June and again in September (I think). So research it before you turn up in Nantes with the machines as a main reason for visiting .

Davy

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2016  ·  #16
Quote by eirebus

We were in Nantes 2 weeks ago lovely campsite with tram outside the gates €8 for 24 hour ticket for 2 gets you everywhere and very frequent

We were there last year. The facilities are spotless, and although we never used it, there was a wee pizzeria at the gate. Nantes city was great, and a walk around the castle was interesting. Never got to see the elephant, saw it mentioned on here before we left but found the cafe culture more appealing in the heat.

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2017  ·  #17
Has anyone stayed at the Aire in Nantes (No 144 - All the Aires 2017 North 2nd Edition) and does it get very busy? Would be aiming to get there early pm.

Planning to use it as a stop over on the way back up to Cherbourg in August.

Thanks,

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2017  ·  #18
We were on the main campsite last week (about 6th June) there was plenty of space at the Aire and the site, but August could be a different story. We have also stayed at the Aire at nort sur erde which is free and in a nice location a bit north of Nantes. It is about 40k. If it is full there is also a pay Aire beside the Nort sur erde campsite.

Davy

Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.09.2017  ·  #19
Just to conclude this thread.. we stopped in Nantes on our return leg from the South of France in August. The Aire at Nantes was brilliant and right beside the campsite on the red tram route into the city. Entry to the Aire was €17 as we needed to buy a top-up card (€4 which is reusable at other Aires) so €13 really. I priced the adjoining campsite as we had a bit of bother with the machine not calibrating our new top-up card (and so did everyone else) and they wanted to charge me €44 just for the pitch with no EHU (August rates). We unhitched the bikes and cycled into the centre as the cycle route is brilliant and got to see around more of the city than if we had used the tram. The Aire has access to the campsite's (decent) wi-fi and their bar/restaurant which seemed ok apart from the lady behind the bar. The Elephant of Nantes is better to watch than ride on imo but you will get soaked from the water jets as it moves around at a very slow pace.

Craic Addict
Subject:

Here (hopefully) is a pic....

· 
Posted: 06.09.2017  ·  #20
Hopefully this works..
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.09.2017  ·  #21
We use the campsite on ACSI in Nantes and agree Mark the elephant is better to look at than ride on and kid's love it

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.09.2017  ·  #22
We were there in June and stayed on the site at the ACSI rate as it was close to the aire rate, but it's great to have the option. Nantes is a great city to visit, well worth a stopover.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.