Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Most unwelcoming town for motorhomes?

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #1
Whilst on our way home from ballina co mayo today we decided to go via knock,

Plan was to get dinner in knock say the yearly prayers O-) and hit the road,

To my amazement no spot to park the MH,
I asked in the shop where to park and I got a shrug of the shoulders, I asked where the bus park was and I was told its for busses only, "the barrier will only lift for busses" and literally that was it, height barriers everywhere except the gate into the caravan park,
Needless to say we went to Claremorris where our custom was welcomed,

It was 15 years or more since I was in knock (against my will that time) and I can tell you it will be 20 more if I'm driving a MH,

Has anybody ever parked in knock with a MH?

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

Re: Most unwelcoming town for motorhomes?

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #2
My goodness max max you'll have to find somewhere else for the yearly prayer. You could always do it in the Motorhome.

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

knock

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #3
I think the reason there is no where to park up the motorhome is because the COUSINS invaded the place a few years back and there was no moving them on. Unfortunately as a result there isnt any place for motorhomes, but thought u could park along side of the street?

jetty
:( :(

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #4
The street was jammed with cars today, could hardly drive through the Main Street, and II seen a few of our distant cousins in the crowd as well,

I'm open to suggestions for praying jack, :up: may leave til next trip to France though :-)

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #5
lourdes MM and the Knock problem was the cousins they had to be stopped at a cost to us all as usual 😠

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Six berth named Milly with cute red heart interior! Eurostyle emphasis on style
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #6
Pity John, that a few ruin it for the rest but you can't blame the locals in fairness they were invaded at certain times of the year.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #7
What's this "Yearly prayer" malarky?

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Six berth named Milly with cute red heart interior! Eurostyle emphasis on style
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #8
Quote by Ally

What's this "Yearly prayer" malarky?

Not compulsory Ally. :D

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #9
Quote by Shivster

Not compulsory Ally. :D

Oh that's grand then, thought I was missing something ;)

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2014  ·  #10
Do you not say one regularly, for beer to be in the fridge :lol:

I thought the last time ally was in a church some bugger soaked him and he vowed not to go back!

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2014  ·  #11
My prayer isn't strong enough to have beer appear in the fridge :'( only jack can do that I think :lol:

I know they were invaded but if the law was changed similar to France where it's severe if broken maybe it wouldn't spoil it for the rest of us 🇧🇭

As for the praying ......I'll stay quiet about thay :-)

2+3
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2014  ·  #12
was in knock few sundays back, planned stayed the night...not one spot to pull in, had to go back to claremorris and in morning luckily spotted another campervan, far end of town, near costcutters just before you turn into Knock House Hotel....side of road hard shoulder, no way could you park overnight...barriers on every carpark...

broms
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2014  ·  #13
I live about 15 mins from knock - you mainly see motorhomes parked up on both sides of the road on the knock to Ballyhaunis road ( by the main entrances for the car park). It is as a direct result of the cousins taking over at the novena. Some of the other roads have got boulders to stop parking but we are really not welcome at all sadly.

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2017  ·  #14
I can report that 3 years on things havent changed. We were heading towards Ballina and spotted the sign for Knock and decided to stop for a few prayers and a bit of lunch. Arrived in assuming there would be loads of parking space only to find the same situation you did MM. Height barriers everywhere, parking spaces blocked with concrete bollards and the only car park in town had a big (hand written) "No Campervan Parking" and a height barrier that only opens for busses. Drove up and down the main street and nothing!!.

Rang Failte Ireland and told me about the local camp site, they put me on to Westport tourist office who also immediately mentioned the camp site. They then gave me the number for the Knock Shrine office who again mentioned the camp site. Explained again that i wanted to just visit for the day but they could help. Left my number and 3 days later im still waiting for a call back.

While there are no doubt issues with our "cousins" and the condition they leave an area in, they are religious and would appear to want to visit Knock as much as we do. I would have presumed that Knock would have tried to work with all rather than just stick up a load of height barriers and bollards ... but I was wrong!!

So, if you are driving across Mayo and see a sign for Knock, keep driving !!!!!

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2017  ·  #15
Elmo. I would say your few prayers else where and they will still be heard and spend your money somewhere else.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2017  ·  #16
Actually passed yesterday in the car, and couldnt be bothered to stop,

Elmo
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2017  ·  #17
Jack, Im happy to report that bundoran happily took our money and we enjoyed the results of spending it too :-)

Before that we spent the night at Ross Beach, Killala. What a fantastic little spot. We relly enjoyed our time there.

McGeemobile
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.07.2017  ·  #18
Well I don't know about Knock, but last year we visited Fatima and there were so many cousins there who were taking a big interest in our van that we felt threatened and left very quickly. The children were running wild too.

Elmo
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2017  ·  #19
Follow up to previous post ... i received a call from the manager of the Knock Shrine and he explained that it is not their intention to stop motorhomes from visiting but due to previous problems and clear instructions from Health & Safety / Insurance they have had to remove all parking where a vehicle has the possibility of any form of risk (ie containing gas cylinders, etc).

I have so say that he has very reasonable and seemed keen to address our issue and sort it out. He has suggested that we were to return we should contact the Knock Shrine office in advance and they will do their best to accommodate but was clear that they couldnt accommodate large groups except in the camp site.

In fairness to them, they handled the matter well and I appreciated the call back. Chances are we will make a trip to Knock in the future, so lets see what happens then :-)

Annieo
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2017  ·  #20
We visited Knock just around two weeks ago. Parked in the place for coaches. Couldn't get the barrier to lift to let us out later so spoke with a bus driver. He told me to go up to the first shop and ask them to open the barrier which they did. No problem

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2017  ·  #21
Quote by Elmo

Follow up to previous post ... i received a call from the manager of the Knock Shrine and he explained that it is not their intention to stop motorhomes from visiting but due to previous problems and clear instructions from Health & Safety / Insurance they have had to remove all parking where a vehicle has the possibility of any form of risk (ie containing gas cylinders, etc).................

What a load of rubbish, so their insurance company considers motorhomes to present an unacceptable risk compared to cars, not so. If it was true it would be reflected in our insurance premiums which it isn't.

Definitely sounds like the tired H&S excuse for not doing something.

Elmo
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2017  ·  #22
Personally I think it was the "politically correct" response but we are all fairly sure we know what the real reason is.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2017  ·  #23
Ah ! come on folks ,Its orders from the booking office up there, Its all because two motorhomes arrived there at the gates, a little while ago, and Peter said to hang on there, whilst he would go into Heaven and see if he could find two plots. When he came back they were gone and so were the Gates. So now No Motorhomes in Knock.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2017  ·  #24
It doesn't help when the "country cousins " are actively buying MH at the moment. Maybe they want to become like mainstream folk.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Most unwelcoming town for motorhomes?

· 
Posted: 30.07.2017  ·  #25
What in the name of all that is holy would you want Motorhome parking for , why can't you people get yourselves one of them small Aeroplanes, sure haven't we all the facilities you would need.
Your never bloody Happy .

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.07.2017  ·  #26
I have been to both Lourdes and Knock,with respect to those who toil in the churches and the pilgrims who travel there, The tacky tourist ware and inflated prices that surround them didnt do anything for me. If you go a little past to the boglands outside Knock ,you will see the work of an old Padre who took on goverment and planners to build an Airport in the middle of nowhere now with Transatlantic and Uk flights, Something that even the City of Derry cant do, That would have my vote for a Miracle.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2017  ·  #27
That gets my vote too!

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #28
Anyone got any update on the motorhome parking in Knock this time of year. Think i am heading that way with the parents next week during the week and wonder whats the story with parking on side of road/street for a couple of hours...or are we still not welcome.

Jetty

Elmo
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #29
If you can get space on the street then there is no problem parking there but there isnt a lot of on street parking and I dont see much chance of getting space. We have never gone back but having spoken to the shrine office to complain I was advised that, if returning, to speak to the manager of the campsite and he would try to accommodate us. My impression is that the campsite is part of the shrine and is there to facilitate people visiting the shrine but i could be wrong. It might be worth giving them a call and ask if they can suggest a place to park. Having driven up and down the town looking for space, I dont see any other options. Despite wanting to visit and spend a few hours there, we were totally put off by it all and have no desire to go back.

thepilote
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #30
Campers definitely not welcome. Their loss. We were lucky to get space on the street, but won't be back.

joberg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 696f
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #31
We've paeked on the street during the day a few times over the past 12 months with no problems. I'd expect there would be plenty of street parking available mid week this time of the year

joberg
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 696f
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #32
We've parked on the street during the day a few times over the past 12 months with no problems. I'd expect there would be plenty of street parking available mid week this time of the year

jetty
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #33
thanks to all for the advice

jetty

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.