heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

Range Rover Sport

· 
Posted: 19.01.2014  ·  #1
So OK have finally admitted that I will not be having a Morgan only wanted one for about 40 years

The other maybe would be a Range Rover Sport, 2006 -2008 think would be about what I could afford so any body using one and what do you all think.

Yes I know they are a bit thirsty so looking at the 2.7D most have all the goodies.

I don't know what draws me to them they to me just seem a bit more classy that the Mercs, Lexus,Audi etc which are classed in the same unit of cars.
:love: :devil: :love: :devil: :love: :devil: :love: :devil:

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Range Rover Sport

· 
Posted: 19.01.2014  ·  #2
If you are thinking of buying one look at the prices in ROI i think they are quite cheap over here as the horsey crowd have gone bust and cant afford them ,although i have heard Landrovers are not very reliable cars

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2014  ·  #3
Buying a secondhand range rover is very hit & miss. Make sure you have some sort of warranty. Lots of gizmo's that can, and do go wrong. VERY expensive to put right if something does goes wrong.

If you do go to buy one, push every button and twist every knob. Make sure EVERYTHING works...

They do look cool and are very comfortable to drive but I don't know if I could live with one.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2014  ·  #4
I am a Land Rover fanatic as well as a Citroen one. Land Rovers are excellent vehicles but it's important to make sure there is a LR Service history. You will not buy a better vehicle than a LR. Myna discovery TD5 is 13 years old and it still looks like new. I have it service regularly and that's the secret. Go for it and you'll not regret it.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2014  ·  #5
As per all the points above, the type of one you want is from a non farming type ie Chelsea tractor brigade as the others will have been worked hard. It's never affording one but the costs to keep it on the road

whippy
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2014  ·  #6
Have had many. Don't do it. Sport remains the worst I've had. Bought a new RR vogue in 2006 - owned it 13 months. 2 gear boxes, 2 doffs, an on board computer, water ingress and much more later I got my money back, almost in full. I had it for 4 months in total out of the 13 I owned it. Be very very careful.

The last disco I had (a high spec'd work commercial) in 2009 blew it's turbo after 10 months - the WHOLE body has to be lifted off the chassis TO REPLACE A BLOODY TURBO had that happened a little later and out of warranty it would have been huge bread and a hugher row.

BUY A LAND CRUISER

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Six berth named Milly with cute red heart interior! Eurostyle emphasis on style
Base Vehicle: Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2014  ·  #7
I have the RR Evoque a year old now - no issues at all.
Previously had the freelander 2 for five years loved both and as long as you service regularly no issues.
I loved my Freelander :up:

digger
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Mirage 6000
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2014  ·  #8
I am driving my sons shogun sport at the minute.80k miles mot no trouble, very reliable.
This is a hard worked vehicle not a Chelsea taxi
Very comfortable and easy to drive

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2014  ·  #9
I agree with Shivster if you keep your LR serviced there's no better and reliable vehicle.

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs A6971 AKA Hoot
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2nd Gen 2.8HDi 128PS
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2014  ·  #10
Quote by jacktherev

I agree with Shivster if you keep your LR serviced there's no better and reliable vehicle.

What's the service interval? Is it every 15 or every 20

minutes :D

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2014  ·  #11
I certainly wouldn't buy a car called after a dog, here rover O-)

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2014  ·  #12
Quote by TAYLOR.

Must be a flying dog .......land rover.....land rover :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just buy a good auld diesel passat and you will be sorted :up:

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2014  ·  #13
Quote by mad max

Quote by TAYLOR.

Must be a flying dog .......land rover.....land rover :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just buy a good auld diesel passat and you will be sorted :up:

I hear ya talking big rover :up:

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #14
The freelander is a different animal compared to the sport as far as running costs go. There are certainly alternatives which are as good as the land rover brand and are cheaper to keep going.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #15
Hey
Thanks guys and gals guess after having Mondeos for the last 10 or so years of working life (managed to wear out 4) when I had to retire I wanted something different to pull my caravan after much research looking at all the reports I decided that the boxy 2005 Honda CRV 2.2D just prior to change it looks to a Chelsea taxi was just what I wanted and this proved to be spot-on. No way I can fault this car after 5 years turns over 40 mpg only done 74k super comfort but the problem is (OK gals this is where you can have a go at me) I am bored with it never had a car this long before( come on guys you know what I mean)
Why a RR Sport because I fancy having something that I could never afford when I was at work fancy a bit of oh I don't know what maybe pretending I can now afford it live the dream of owning a POSH car
SWMBO says she love the Honda

So do we live the dream or do as she tells me

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #16
Ok here's my tuppence worth, I have had Nissan navara pickup, had all the toys but was crap at 4wd, had the turning circle of a supertanker and returned 24mpg, the ride was jittery and it thought nothing of going sideways around corners as it was so light at the back.

I had a shogun swb, it was a great 4x4 but was quite agricultural in how it did things, returned around 22mpg was expensive to keep up in tyres and parts, ride was comfy.

Currently have a Hyundai Santa Fe and it does everything well, service costs are very reasonable not hard on tyres and returns around 35mpg. Has all the toys you need overall a great package

Also have a daewoo musso (a what says you) google it lol, was cheap to buy and even cheaper to run, no fancy electronics will never set a world speed record, will pull over three tonnes all day long, will turn on a sixpence in 4wd and has never got stuck or feels like it would. Runs a merc 5cyl engine and auto box and returns high twenties mpg (no trip computer) I would buy another but with a bit more power ie a ssang yong rexton. It's very comfortable on and off road.

whippy
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #17
For the record - all of my LR & RR cars have always been serviced by main dealer only, on or before the correct intervals!

Also & in the interests of fairness, if you can find one that isn't troublesome - their off road abilities (particularly when equipped with electronic terrain selection), towing capabilities & levels of creature comfort are second to none.

I'd still look at a land cruiser though because an out of manufacturers warranty, troublesome one will literally.... Break your heart & wallet! >_<

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #18
Quote by whippy

For the record - all of my LR & RR cars have always been serviced by main dealer only, on or before the correct intervals!

Also & in the interests of fairness, if you can find one that isn't troublesome - their off road abilities (particularly when equipped with electronic terrain selection), towing capabilities & levels of creature comfort are second to none.

I'd still look at a land cruiser though because an out of manufacturers warranty, troublesome one will literally.... Break your heart & wallet! >_<

And that is why you will get some bargains out there, people looking rid of quickly. While a full dealer service is essential it is still no guarantee it won't break your heart, but if you are still going to do it then buy from a reputable dealer who will put a comprehensive warranty on it. You will pay a bit more for it but it will give you some sort of comeback should anything go wrong.

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Six berth named Milly with cute red heart interior! Eurostyle emphasis on style
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #19
I made a call to check how my old freelander had been since I swapped for the rest evoque just to see she had over 80,000 on the clock when I let her go at age five. Still no hassle the original freelander had a really bad rep but this one was a dream. We were sorry we didn't keep it for my partner. Two mates have the rr sports one was bought 3 years old low mileage no problems. The other says no major issues but costs are high to service compared to others.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #20
Go to a good non main Land Rover garage. Do you not have I dependant Land River garages in your area?

whippy
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #21
Not really Jack, there's one guy up on the Wicklow mountains but they never really sold in the south in the same numbers as they did in the north and Britain.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #22
I always noticed that both the Shogun/Pajero and Landcruiser always outstripped the numbers of landies in terms of numbers

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs A6971 AKA Hoot
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2nd Gen 2.8HDi 128PS
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #23
Quote by heanorboy

So do we live the dream or do as she tells me

If you can get what she tells you to do to be the same as what you want to do then you'll be living the dream O-)

Quote by heanorboy

No way I can fault this car after 5 years turns over 40 mpg only done 74k super comfort but the problem is (OK gals this is where you can have a go at me) I am bored with it never had a car this long before( come on guys you know what I mean)

I know what you mean, like most guys I like cars, but I think you're nuts. Ok nuts is too strong a word for it and everyones life circumstances are different but you get my drift. You have a great motor. Milage is not high. It owes you nothing and every time you drive it pays you. It will go on like that for at least 5 if not 10 more years. The only benefit of the new motor would be the feel and satisfaction. It will still only get you from A to B just like your current Honda.

But then again I think nothing of keeping a good motor for 10 years or more. Our two cars were bought, nearly new, on the basis of a minimum of 10 years ownership. Both will pass 7 years ownership by us in the summer. As long as they stay reliable I'll keep them. I just can stand a car that is unreliable. I think it comes from years of push starting my fathers cars. We used to think that he only had kids so that he'd have someone to push the car. :D :lol: :D

A reliable car is a true friend. Your Honda is just that. Trade that for a fussy RR? Me not a chance. As Whippy and others have point out they can be great. But I think you have already put your finger on the nub of the issue with respect to RR.
Quote by heanorboy

pretending I can now afford it live the dream of owning a POSH car

IMO, they are a wealthy persons motor and not meant for mere mortals like me. Of course a lot of mere mortals don't share my sentiment. If I could afford to keep in a warranty covered RR or could easily afford the potential repairs out of warranty, and in so doing I was not trading off against life's other pleasures, then I would consider one.

whippy
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #24
My dad ordered the very first one of these that Toyota ever brought into Ireland back in about 1979 I think. He's had 22 himself consecutively and well over a hundred for his business employees.

They've given virtually NOTHING in the line of trouble in that time. I think he'll be buried in one actually. They're no. 1, by a country mile, in Ireland for good reason!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y43w….12.29.jpg

Actually just got a little emotional there looking at that photo. Us kids travelled all over France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland & Austria for a good few of our early summers with bikes, trikes & scooters ratchet strapped to the ignorant front bumper (girder) of that yoke! Great memories of when everything was a lot simpler.... :-)

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #25
Guys and Gals
Thanks for all the advice good and bad. Good to get some real reviews instead of what the jurnos say
David

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #26
David I wish I was in the position to buy a Range Rover Sport I would be away tonight to buy it.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #27
Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #28
I would seriously like a real range rover instead of the puppy Evoque but my boss won't have any of it.
But if I won the lotto in the morning I would be down to Auto Boland Waterford in the morning to order the new Sports (drool dribble- gorgeous).
I sit in the showroom one every time I go down for a service. They have even said I can take one out for a days test drive but that to me is just teasing me. :(

Shivster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #29
Quote by the fat controller

what about this then, if only for the registration number

http://jandfgroup.com/listing/…ro-s-line/

Nah the RR is a beast that is still a pup. :devil:

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #30
I know, but its the registration number which I thought he might like being a man of the cloth and all that

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #31
heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #32
Audi Q7 lovely car not been around long enough for me though.
My son works at a English Football League club (not a player) and a lot of the better paid players drive these, have suggested that I would be prepared to take one that they might throw away (they can afford in the one for sale here would just about make a dent in this WEEKS money)
With their egos wouldn't be surprised of one of them bought the reg

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2014  ·  #33
FC nice but not keen on black. I don't think it looks cool enough.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2014  ·  #34
What about the reg on the angelic white q7, I thought that would be a good one for man in your profession

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2014  ·  #35
Nah wouldn't buy a German car I never liked them and certainly not an Audi.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2014  ·  #36
I wouldnt buy the car either it was the registration number I thought you might like

M1 GDD

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2014  ·  #37
yeah I noticed that but it would need to be M1 GOD.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2014  ·  #38
jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2014  ·  #39
Me vain? Never!

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.01.2014  ·  #40
We know you are anything but vain Jack, because as you have pointed out to us vanity is a sin O-) O-) :bandit: :bandit:

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.