Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

The Wild Atlantic Way

· 
Posted: 15.01.2014  ·  #1
Failte Irelands latest promotion -

"The Wild Atlantic Way is Irelands new long distance scenic driving route along the entire west coast of Ireland from Donegal in the north to Cork in the south. If you are looking for a holiday itinerary from a few days to several weeks, look no further as the Wild Atlantic Way route has it all. From cliff top views to great hikes and from historic cities to picture perfect coastal villages and some of the best surfing in the world, the Wild Atlantic Way drive caters for tourists of all ages and tastes. Slow down and experience the real Ireland.

- Once the Wild Atlantic Way is officially rolled out in 2014 with all signage and other works complete, it will be the longest defined and signed tourist routes in the world at approximately 2,750 km (1,700 miles) in length with plenty more side routes and loops.

- the Wild Atlantic Way will also have places to stop and take in scenic views and over 150 discovery points for tourists along the way.
"

http://www.activeme.ie/guides/…f-ireland/

The thought of tourists hopping into a rental car and driving on some of these roads kind of scares me, but it's good to see a world class long distance route in Ireland. 2750km in total no less...

drifter
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Hobby 690GFS
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD on an AL-KO chassis
Subject:

Re: The Wild Atlantic Way

· 
Posted: 15.01.2014  ·  #2
Nearly as long as Route 66 !
Hope it is successful. Not sure how many Irish people will do it but with tourists you never know. We take all that stuff for granted because we see it every day. Some people from other countries might love it. There is some spectacular scenery along the way :)

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2014  ·  #3
At least they are having the foresight to promote whats here, its a pity our idiots on the hill couldnt do the same, all our lot do is put up height barriers and pander to selfserving businesses

digger
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Mirage 6000
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2014  ·  #4
I hope it is better sign posted than the Mourne scenic route here in NI.
It goes in both directions through Crawfordsburn and vanishes up a one way street in Ballyholme.
Neither seem relevant to me regarding the Mournes.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2014  ·  #5
Apparently they're pumping €8m into promoting it, so hopefully they'll ring fence a few bob for proper signs... :lol:

Personally I love the West coast and spend as much time there as I can. We have some of the most beautiful coastline in Europe and most of us done even know it's there. It is perfect for motorbike rides and I've done a good portion of the western coast road on two wheels, but I'm a bit leary of promoting some of those routes to foreigners in hire cars. Some of the roads they have on the map are not for the faint hearted. Deffo not for large motorhomes.

I could hardly believe you could squeeze a 2750km route into Ireland and only make it half way around the island, but its there on the website so it must be true.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2014  ·  #6
I done Malin to Mizen and the following year Mizen to Malin in a Classic Mini. It was by no means the straight route and took 3 days. Very tiring and for those that know what the suspension is like in a classic Mini you will know why it was nicknamed the Sore Bum Run.

Amazing scenery and some very mental roads which suited the Mini perfectly, I would be worried about going anywhere near those roads in a Motorhome.

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs A6971 AKA Hoot
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2nd Gen 2.8HDi 128PS
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2014  ·  #7
We have done most of that since getting the camper. I think it is a great idea to promote it. No better way to see it than in a motorhome.

No talk of a network of Aires along the route which is a real shame. That would be a huge boost for campervan rental companies which is one of the highest value tourist categories. (Camper rental would be more expensive than hotel and car.) Plus spending by campers (local and tourist alike) along the route would help to keep businesses along the route open thus making route attractive to other categories of tourist.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2014  ·  #8
Quote by Ally

I done Malin to Mizen and the following year Mizen to Malin in a Classic Mini. It was by no means the straight route and took 3 days. Very tiring and for those that know what the suspension is like in a classic Mini you will know why it was nicknamed the Sore Bum Run.

Amazing scenery and some very mental roads which suited the Mini perfectly, I would be worried about going anywhere near those roads in a Motorhome.

I know what you mean re the malin to mizzen. I did it a couple of times on 2 wheels. I also did a 24hr 1000 mile run around the island back in 2008. That was tough, but it was part of an "iron butt" long distance bike ride challenge, so we couldn't make it too easy could we... :lol: We had some tough times on the figure of eight route around Ireland but it was a lot of fun.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2014  ·  #9
Quote by Waterman

We have done most of that since getting the camper. I think it is a great idea to promote it. No better way to see it than in a motorhome.

No talk of a network of Aires along the route which is a real shame. That would be a huge boost for campervan rental companies which is one of the highest value tourist categories. (Camper rental would be more expensive than hotel and car.) Plus spending by campers (local and tourist alike) along the route would help to keep businesses along the route open thus making route attractive to other categories of tourist.

That'd be a good idea.

However I wouldn't encourage mid to large sized motorhomes take the routes marked on most of the peninsulas in West Kerry! Tidy panel vans maybe, but the drivers of coachbuilt campers (rental market) would sweat bullets driving that route!

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2014  ·  #10
Quote by Blag

That'd be a good idea.

However I wouldn't encourage mid to large sized motorhomes take the routes marked on most of the peninsulas in West Kerry! Tidy panel vans maybe, but the drivers of coachbuilt campers (rental market) would sweat bullets driving that route!

With the exception of the Conor Pass we have done all the Kerry route in a 7.1m coachbuilt. Not one bullet was sweat. 8-) Coaches do it all the time so it is not a matter of size. If somebody is going to hire a large van then they should be competent to drive it. But yes, drivers should be advised as to the challenge.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2014  ·  #11
Quote by Waterman

With the exception of the Conor Pass we have done all the Kerry route in a 7.1m coachbuilt. Not one bullet was sweat. 8-) Coaches do it all the time so it is not a matter of size. If somebody is going to higher a large van then they should be competent to drive it. But yes, drivers should be advised as to the challenge.

Fair play to you Marty, you're a braver man than I am! :up:

When I consider the SW coast road they have on the map, I think of the roads along Slea head, Dursey head etc.

Waterman
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2014  ·  #12
Yep, you need to develop a quick eye to spot the next pulling in point :fgrin: Other than that just stay cool till a solution presents itself.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2014  ·  #13
Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2017  ·  #14
Wild atlantic way summarised in 13 minutes...

johnnymac
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Adria 660SP
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2017  ·  #15
Great post. I really enjoyed that video.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2017  ·  #16
:up: :up: Its put me in holiday mood again.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.02.2017  ·  #17
Great video!

joeflo
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Dunfanaghy

· 
Posted: 24.03.2017  ·  #18
Beautiful in Dunfanaghy today. Sun is shining and warm.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2017  ·  #19
Quote by joeflo

Beautiful in Dunfanaghy today. Sun is shining and warm.

Love Dunfanaghy !

Must return soon.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.