Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Bulkhead etc.

· 
Posted: 25.04.2018  ·  #1
Hi, I was looking over some Sprinter vans yesterday as I’m still in the research phase of my project.
A question came up that I couldn’t answer. What are the legalities/insurance issues created by removing the bulkhead? Are there more issues if I want to change the colour of the van. Tapping into the diesel tank for heating system etc.
I’m just thinking along the lines of doing the campervan build but continuing to drive the van.
Regards Gerard

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Bulkhead etc.

· 
Posted: 25.04.2018  ·  #2
I think for a recognised MH conversion the van must have direct access from the cab area to the habitation area....but check it out to be sure I’ve not got that wrong.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.04.2018  ·  #3
I think you are right Jon

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.04.2018  ·  #4
Quote by Squidge

Hi, I was looking over some Sprinter vans yesterday as I’m still in the research phase of my project.
A question came up that I couldn’t answer. What are the legalities/ Tapping into the diesel tank for heating system etc.
I’m just thinking along the lines of doing the campervan build but continuing to drive the van.
Regards Gerard

I am no expert on this but I would say that as long as the work on the fuel tank is carried out professionally there should not be a problem, it would be the colour of the fuel in the tank that would be a bigger issue.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.04.2018  ·  #5
Quote by ntg

it would be the colour of the fuel in the tank that would be a bigger issue.

Thats only if you get caught 😉

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.04.2018  ·  #6
Gerald,
There are a couple of issues within your query.
1, changing the van from commercial use to leisure use which requires a change to the registration papers,
2, changing body work ie, removing the bulkhead, fitting furniture etc need to be done to nasi standards,
For insurance purposes, to use your camper as a daily driver, the insurance company usually double the premium, hence why a good few craicers have given copies of their private car insurance policies to the campers insurance companies.
While there a few van converters knocking around, they only want you to buy their services and build to their plans not to yours for a generous fee.
If I was in your shoes, seek the opinion of an auto engineer who should be able to layout the whole process from start to finish. The most common mistake that people using an engineer is that they don't get the initial survey done, which leads to an action plan with a list of steps to be taken in order.
If you rock on and do the work yourself and then seek an engineer report, the majority of engineers will walk away.
Some food for thought,
Malcolm

Blueface
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.04.2018  ·  #7
Quote by Squidge

A question came up that I couldn’t answer. What are the legalities/insurance issues created by removing the bulkhead? Are there more issues if I want to change the colour of the van. Tapping into the diesel tank for heating system etc.
Regards Gerard

Hi Gerard
Here's a list of requirements from the DVLA website- from reading this I don't think you need to remove the bulkhead.
-----------
In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features:

a door that provides access to the living accommodation
a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet - this can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe
a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
at least one window on the side of the accommodation
-------------

Blueface
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.04.2018  ·  #8
Forgot to add. Colour change is just done by sending your V5 with a photo and note to change colour. I've done it with a couple of cars.

Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.05.2018  ·  #9
Thanks for the replies. Plenty of food for thought in converting a commercial to camper. Still haven’t discounted buying a campervan yet but at the mo it’s a camper conversion with my own design and spec.
Regards

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.