Bruceylee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Campervan completely flat

· 
Posted: 28.02.2018  ·  #1
Hi I went out to start up my motorhome last Monday and the engine battery and leisure batteries are completely flat.

I was starting it up and keeping the engine ticking over twice a week over the past two months while not in regular use and up to this week it was ok. The light for the leisure batteries won't come back on even after being on hook up to charge for two days. Do i need to jump the engine battery and get that active before the others come back or am I in bigger trouble, TIA for any info.

First winter with the vehicle so I'm sure I've done loads of things wrong and some probably very obvious.

We live and learn.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Campervan completely flat

· 
Posted: 28.02.2018  ·  #2
It all depends on a number of factors.

The frost might of killed them and they could come back to life with a charge.

The frost might of killed them, end of story. Depends on age/condition etc

What I would do, jump the engine battery, get the engine started and let it run, take it a long drive. See if the leisure's come back at all and then take them out and put them on a charger overnight, they may have got to low to come back on.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2018  ·  #3
When on EHU

Bruceylee
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2018  ·  #4
I have a solar panel as well, at the moment they are reading 0. Not a budge on the due. In relation to age of batteries I honestly don't know as I purchased it second hand last year. Il jump it when the weather is vetter and if all else fails il be spending a few hundred on new ones. Thanks.

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2018  ·  #5
Quote by Bruceylee

I have a solar panel as well, at the moment they are reading 0. Not a budge on the due. In relation to age of batteries I honestly don't know as I purchased it second hand last year. Il jump it when the weather is vetter and if all else fails il be spending a few hundred on new ones. Thanks.

Are the solar panels covered in snow?

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.03.2018  ·  #6
My camper has 2 leisure batteries, and of course engine battery. They are over 7 years old. I have on EHU virtually 24/7. I know there was a discussion previously on this issue of whether to leave EHU on long term.
As the camper went for DOE test last Tuesday, I was anxious to get it back ASAP, as due to the age of the batteries I did not want the camper sitting in the garage, unplugged over this very cold snap. Thankfully It passed the test and was back on EHU several hours later. In general if I come back from a trip I leave the EHU off for 3 or fours days to confirm that the batteries are still efficient. So for me, keeping them plugged in certainly has proved the right option.
Franco

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.