TimB
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Carado A366
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Gas usage

· 
Posted: 14.02.2018  ·  #1
So in November we had a Gaslow system fitted, 2x11KG bottles, to Doris, ( Carado A366 ). By Leisure Technical Solutions, Great neat job, BTW.

Not really used the van, so on Monday morning we left a sunny but cold County Wexford for a 6 and a half hour drive up to Donagheys for an annual service and Hab check. Patches of snow in various places on the way up and slush and ice up at Letterkenny

Stopped in Omagh to fill up Gaslow, took 39.65 litres of gas on board. 0.72p a litre BTW

Got to Donagheys around 4pm. So we decided to use this as a test to see how much gas we use.
On arrival we hooked up, for lights and TV, but put hot water on 60 degrees and blow heating on number 6, once water and van had heated up we reduced the Truma dial to number 3, we left this like that all night. Ran kettle the next morning to boil water. 0830 off goes Doris for Hab check and service, so i turn off the gas and hand Doris over to the nice man Chris at Donagheys and off she goes.

We get the call at 1630 that afternoon that Doris has been serviced ( oooer missus) and has passed her hab check with flying colours, so once again at 1700, on goes the gas to 60 degrees, Truma at number 6 to warm her up, plus bathroom as SWMBO, plus myself need a shower, so we both have a nice hot shower, and Mrs B cooks a nice Spag Bol using gas on the hob, after an hour heating cranked down to number 3, and we spend the rest of the night watching TV and playing cards, we crash out about 11pm on Tuesday as we have a long drive back to Wexford, but leave heating and hot water on all night ( number 3)

we depart Donagheys at 9am and switch of gas. On the way home we decide to top off the gaslow in Omagh to see what we have used.
How much do you reckon, i ask Mrs B, she comes in with 7 litres, i reckon 10+

Nope 4.36 litres and she is full.
Bare in mind that as part of the HAb check, Donagheys run up all your appliances to check them as well. So i was well impressed with how little gas we had used.

On another note, Donagheys once again, brilliant and sorted a few little jobs we wanted doing as well, plus we spent too much in their shop!!!!

Subject:

Re: Gas usage

· 
Posted: 14.02.2018  ·  #2
That would be similar usage to us. We are getting about 5 days/nights out of our first 11kg bottle before having to switch over. Summer is over double that.

LTS fitted our gaslow too and have transferred it twice since. Always a great job with Simon and the guys there.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.02.2018  ·  #3
Quote by TimB

So in November we had a Gaslow system fitted,

Tim, how much did the Gaslow system cost to have fitted and what do you do for a refill around Wexford?

TimB
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Carado A366
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #4
Quote by Flipperdipper

Quote by TimB

So in November we had a Gaslow system fitted,

Tim, how much did the Gaslow system cost to have fitted and what do you do for a refill around Wexford?

Hi it was 560 sterling, at LTS.
Fill up at Hugh Boggan motors in Wexford Town,

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #5
I don’t know the price of lpg, but if you put it down at .80 cent per litre, then you would fill an 11 kg propane cylinder 50 times to break even on the fitting cost. After that you will save on each fill approx €13.00. For me the cylinders suit me fine. For long trips to the continent I’d say they would be very handy

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #6
A lot of people dont mind the extra cost as the convenience of filling through out europe is attracting,

No need to worry about different cylinders or regulators etc

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #7
It's the convenience. Pull into a garage, fill up with diesel and lpg.

Don't have to wait until bottles are empty and don't have to lift them.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #8
Also the lifting in and out of cylinders and the wondering have I enough to last all weekend and ending up replacing a cylinder at the agents with enough left that would have lasted the weekend.
I nearly always wildcamp and have a 13kg and a 6kg. I have kept a diary and have been away overnight in the van 250 nights since May 2016. I have found that I can get 32-36 days in the summer out of the 13kg. This is fridge, hob and hot water for shower and dishes. In the winter I average 17 -19 days doing similar with the alde heating running for about 4 bursts of 1- 1/2 hrs each day (I don't like a lot of heat). As my luck has it, I usually run out of gas in the darkest of wet, late nights and I change over to the 6kg. If it is only for a night or 2, I change back to the 13kg again when I get the refill as it only fits at the back of the cupboard. After the 3rd time using the 6kg , I run it until empty and replace.
I have used the equivalent of 10 x 13kg in this year and 9 month period. With gas costs of 300stg against using 130 lpg @ 0.70 = 91.00 stg, a fuel cost saving of 209 stg. I do use the van a lot but am frugal with the heating so it would take a further 2-3 years to see a saving if I had installed gaslow at the start.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #9
Don't forget

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #10
I wonder at what point it would be cheaper to pay for EHU and run electric heating rather then burn gas? I haven’t done much winter camping so haven’t worked this out. But I could imagine spending all day in the van on a cold winters day could add up.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #11
Was cheaper to use refillable gas bottles than some sites EHU we found.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #12
Quote by The Rambler

I wonder at what point it would be cheaper to pay for EHU and run electric heating rather then burn gas? I haven’t done much winter camping so haven’t worked this out. But I could imagine spending all day in the van on a cold winters day could add up.

I can see why you would think that but to be honest we find electric heating in the van to be fairly poor compared with the gas.
We use much more gas at this time of year as expected but as the weather improves the amount of gas used becomes less thus costing less. The campsite electric charge remains the same all year.
We are heavy on the gas and batteries at this time of year but still only use around £4 ish of gas per day. I agree this could be similar to EHU charge so you make a fair point.
Mind you a 6amp Hook up won't run our heating and water heater.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.02.2018  ·  #13
Well then, refillable gas added to my wish list.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.