Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Engine smoke colours

· 
Posted: 09.02.2018  ·  #1
Well folks, I have been knocking around here sly of 2 years and it amazes me of the amount of topics about engines that crop up. The colour of the exhaust smoke it a red light issue for everyone. Basically a healthy exhaust is a healthy engine, ie no colour.
I don't want to alarm anyone and anything that I refer to, may be corrected to by experience and knowledge. But I will attempt to clarify for those not mechanical inclined. If this post is successful, maybe the admin, might move it to the knowledge based side for future reference.
No 1,
Cold start, and slow to fire, with lots of white smoke, you have compression issues. The rings of the piston are worn, and when the engine fires, there is blue smoke. This blue smoke is the engine burning its own oil.
No 2.
Black smoke. On reving up the engine, there is black smoke. This because of unburnt fuel. Check the air intake filter, and see if it is clean. If not the erg valve is broken or common rail fuel system is over supplying some of the pistons in your engine with fuel which is not been burnt clean.
No. 3
White smoke all the time. There's a gasket in your engine that it allowing water into the piston at all times.
All of the above is only based on my experiences, I'm not a mechanic just an unlucky so and so who has learnt the hard way.
If buying a diesel engine, always get it started from cold. If it is a warm start, walk away immediately.
Anyone else, anything to add?
Malcolm

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Engine smoke colours

· 
Posted: 09.02.2018  ·  #2
Quote by Thorn123

If buying a diesel engine, always get it started from cold. If it is a warm start, walk away immediately.

Agree 100% with you on that one Malcolm, and i have walked away a few times over the years

Macspower
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #3
My 98 2.5 ducato has 150k on the clock. Never misses a beat and passes emissions every time.

However if I leave it idling for any length of time and then drive off I get clouds of grey/black smoke which clears after a km or so.

It doesn't appear to be using any oil of significance.

Its been doing that for 10 years now.

Any theories?

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #4
Hi Mac, First you have got an old classic built before all these regs and sensors, so if it aint broke don't fix it. If you have done all the filters etc it maybe the exaust is a bit clogged with residue. and it needs engine speed to clear it. It is 90000 miles ,some have got a lot more than that under their belt and still going strong

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.02.2018  ·  #5
Just like to add one more from expensive experience

If when you stop and then accelerate away (say at junction or Traffic lights) and large clouds of White Smoke, turbo needs to be replaced

David

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.02.2018  ·  #6
I've had 3 RV"s that we're all big petrol engines on LPG. They were all clear, but then on LPG you'll see water from the exhaust. Also, with LPG engines, the oil can last longer and be very clear, however, on older engines there can be valve problems over higher milages.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.