Travel France to Italy and back - best routes

best way to travel over the Alps in campervan?

HappyCamper73
Subject:

Travel France to Italy and back - best routes

· 
Posted: 07.02.2018  ·  #1
HI , we are planning to go to Italy in June/July for four weeks, wondering which is the best way to go to/from Italy. We're probably not going to go through Switzerland, thinking we might take the Mont Blanc tunnel on the way (stay in Chamonix for a night, then on to Valle D'Aosta). We want to go to Annecy, France on the way back from Italy, looked at the petit st bernard pass, is this a good route for campervans? The days we're planning to return coincide with a cycle race, the enduro world series - would this mean that there would be lots of cyclists on the route? Or would the pass further south coming from Turin be a better route? We will be travelling north from Genoa on our way back so could take either route. Our camper is 7m. Also any ideas where to stay en route would be much appreciated.
Any suggestions or advice would be brilliant.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Travel France to Italy and back - best routes

· 
Posted: 07.02.2018  ·  #2
You want to enquire about the Mont Blanc tunnel. It use to close at night time. It is 3 or 4 years ago since I heard.
Malcolm

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2018  ·  #3
The Mont Blanc Tunnel

HappyCamper73
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2018  ·  #4
thanks, is the Mont Cenis pass an ok drive? Are there many steep stretches or any drop offs? that might be a good option for travelling from Genoa to Annecy.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2018  ·  #5
No real

us2
Craic'er
My Motorhome: , Laika ecovip
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2018  ·  #6
Just to let you know,, you can get a return ticket through the Mont Blanc tunnel if you come back before seven days and its about fifteen quid more than the single ticket.

HappyCamper73
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.02.2018  ·  #7
Quote by witzend

No real drop offs 2 lane road all the way perhaps bit more of a pull coming from Italy to France. Have a LOOK HERE and follow road theres plenty of parking at the col and you can drive down beside the lake

Had a look at that route, it looks fine not too steep, thanks for the info.

Wont be able to avail of return ticket in mont blanc tunnel, it will be three weeks before we return.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.02.2018  ·  #8
Well happy camper we have done that route twice recently from Ireland. We went Chunnel... Luxembourg city...Freidrichshafen...Brenner Pass....Lake Garda...Maggiore...Mont Blanc Tunnel...Chamonix...Colmar...Home. Aires all the way except for 10days in Camping Brione lake Garda. 5 weeks. Very few tolls due to driving via Belgium and Germany...also cheap diesel in Luxembourg. Got my chocks stollen in Chamonix when I drove over for water in the big aire..?lol...my fault for being too trusting. You won't see too many Irish vans on that route. Two trips in peak season we saw one only...and he lived less that ten miles from our home address in Donegal. Some of the best touring roads we have ever driven. Brenner pass is a cracker drive.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.02.2018  ·  #9
Ps nothing steep on the route we used...it was main roads all the way. The Brenner pass went over 1800 m I think but gradually. Steepest part was back down to Chamonix via tunnel. Also with the route we chose we had to buy v little (expensive) Italian diesel. Our van is 6 berth knuass with ducato 2.5tdi from 1998.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.04.2018  ·  #10
Was talking with a friend

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.04.2018  ·  #11
Quote by Hymer544

Well happy camper we have done that route twice recently from Ireland. We went Chunnel... Luxembourg city...Freidrichshafen...Brenner Pass....Lake Garda...Maggiore...Mont Blanc Tunnel...Chamonix...Colmar...Home. Aires all the way except for 10days in Camping Brione lake Garda. 5 weeks. Very few tolls due to driving via Belgium and Germany...also cheap diesel in Luxembourg. Got my chocks stollen in Chamonix when I drove over for water in the big aire..?lol...my fault for being too trusting. You won't see too many Irish vans on that route. Two trips in peak season we saw one only...and he lived less that ten miles from our home address in Donegal. Some of the best touring roads we have ever driven. Brenner pass is a cracker drive.

Hymer, how long did you allow for that route- we have 3 weeks at the end of May, thinking 3 days down to Italy from Roscoff, 10 or 12 days there, and 5 days back up to Cherbourg. Also do you think booking a site in advance is a good idea at the start of June?

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.05.2018  ·  #12
hi Kevin. Id say that timing would work. I wouldn't worry about booking sites in June. Even in August we have never been turned away...unless its a coastal hot spot on the med you would definitely be safe enough...it gives you more flexibility anyway

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.