Swifty
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Exhaust smoke

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #1
Our exhaust seems to be blackening the side skirt of the camper Has anyone else had this problem on the bolero

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Re: Exhaust smoke

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #2
I'm no expert but I read up (a little) last week because my exhaust seems a little much. Not black, just a lot of it and stinky. Maybe normal for 2006 2.5 Diesal Movano.

So black smoke seems to have to do with incomplete combustion resulting in excessive soot. Things like spark plugs come in to play. Have you serviced recentl?. If anyone can suggest some kind of fuel additive I could use that isn't a gimmick and might actually help, I would love to hear.

Swifty
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #3
Camper is 2008 and has just had full service This seem as if the exhaust is too close to the skirt of the camper is that normal for bolero

us2
Craic'er
My Motorhome: , Laika ecovip
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Additive.

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #4
Quote by The Rambler

I'm no expert but I read up (a little) last week because my exhaust seems a little much. Not black, just a lot of it and stinky. Maybe normal for 2006 2.5 Diesal Movano.

So black smoke seems to have to do with incomplete combustion resulting in excessive soot. Things like spark plugs come in to play. Have you serviced recentl?. If anyone can suggest some kind of fuel additive I could use that isn't a gimmick and might actually help, I would love to hear.

Distance should clear it up, give it a good run when you add it.

us2
Craic'er
My Motorhome: , Laika ecovip
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Additive.

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #5
Quote by The Rambler

Diptane should clear it up, give it a good run when you add it.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #6
I've heard a lot of bad about. Dipetane as it is meant to be so 'cleansing' that it strips necessary lubricant away from moving parts tha need it and should be avoided for that reason - but only hear say!

If you've just had a full service; was the smoke there beforehand? Do you know your service provider well? Can you call them and ask - as it may be something not having been replaced properly if it wasn't there before?

Swifty
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #7
Just bought the van and the dealer gave it with full service so this is all new to me and I wasn’t sure if it was a problem someone has had before with this model I have to take it back to them anyway so I’d like to know if there is a fix for this

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #8
To Diptane or not? Someone says yes. Someone says no. This is the problem when you try research online. There will always be experts on both sides.

Last week I got a new bike. Chain had not been lubricated. I went online to research WD40 as a suitable lubricant and boy does that open a can of worms.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #9
The rule of thumb for diesel is black smoke is oil and white is fuel, i.e. having white smoke check airways ,filters etc. Black smoke injectors, .piston rings ,valve guides etc. But all diesels smoke on start up, An old Foden lorry would fill the yard with smoke and if they soon clear they are O.K. Some engines are more prone to smoke than others. Get it up to operating temp and then check it. If you are not happy go to another diesel engineer and ask him to check it before you go back to vendor

airhead_eire

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #10
Quote by killiand

I've heard a lot of bad about. Dipetane as it is meant to be so 'cleansing' that it strips necessary lubricant away from moving parts tha need it and should be avoided for that reason - but only hear say!

It's for cleaning out fuel lines and injectors. So what moving parts I wonder ?
For years, people have been mixing small quantities of petrol with diesel to cleanse the system. I imagine Dipetane is similar but more efficient.

Swifty
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #11
Thank you I’ll do that and see how I get on

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2018  ·  #12
If it’s 2008 then it will be common rail and therefore things like pump timing being too retarded isn’t an issue. Black smoke, on the modern Diesel engine can be an EGR problem, notorious for giving grief. Dipathene and other fuel cleaners are usually a chemically enhanced flammable fuel additive that has a higher flashpoint than diesel therefore burns hotter and burns carbon deposits more easily. I’ve found kerosene, miked 50:50 as good as any of them for cleansing the system.... have passed many a smoke test using it..... but if it’s an EGR concern then it needs sorting to properly repair it.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.