How do you watch TV now?

Macspower
Subject:

How do you watch TV now?

· 
Posted: 30.01.2018  ·  #1
Hi all,

I have a 12v tv and a 12v sat receiver in our MH. It has one of the diamond crank up dishes and I can get most of the channels on astra 2 as before.

Can I get saorview and if so how or is there a better system no a days as mine is quite old.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: How do you watch TV now?

· 
Posted: 30.01.2018  ·  #2
I suppose a newer, more up to date receiver would give you all the latest chanels, how old is yours?

Saorview is a waste of time as far as I am concerned, unless you want to see what was already broadcast by other channels and enjoy repeats of rubbish.

Sorry to all the Saorview fans :)

We mainly use internet TV now, no dish and stream with several different options.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.01.2018  ·  #3
You"ll need a Saorview aerial and a Saorview TV or a duel Saorview / Sat box Ahh modern technolegy 🇧🇭 and Im sure lots of wires too

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.01.2018  ·  #4
As Ally said.....
Mag250 range with iptv gives most and run a sat dish with Openbox v8s for freeview when out of Ireland..... saorview doesn’t bother me either.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.01.2018  ·  #5
We don’t. Well not exactly true. We made a conscious decision years ago not to take a TV on holidays as we did not want to be slaves to the dreaded box. When satellites came out we had a portable dish attached to the ladder at the rear and dabbled for a while getting programmes all over Europe. Lately we have taken a laptop loaded with films and Box sets but have found that we were becoming slaves again, especially when our son loaded a few series of 24. We still take the laptop but limit the time viewing.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2018  ·  #6
Ally, could you share how you get tv on the Internet please?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2018  ·  #7
We have a snipe satellite system which we have used for years but to be honest we use online more and more now.
We have a firestick with a similar setup to jjf's mag box. It is neat and stays plugged into the van TV.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2018  ·  #8
Quote by jacktherev

Ally, could you share how you get tv on the Internet please?

I use my Three MiFi or my Router setup and stream Netflix and use TV Player - both of these do not come out of your data allowance on Three with the GoBinge addon, now on all UK Three Data sims over 2 gig I think.

But I don't watch much terrestrial TV, I watch films and box sets on Netflix mainly. If you want a fully loaded Firestick ( I have one but never use it) or a similar option with a different device, then JJF or Mark is who you need to talk too.

IPTV is now the way to go and they are using the latest software for that, I wouldn't have enough time to watch anymore than I do! :)

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2018  ·  #9
Mine came with an Alden Auto system, just push the button and it will seek out a suitable satellite, I only use it when I want to watch MotoGP while away. The TV does DVD and USB as well if needed also found out that the Pioneer Headunit will play DVD's as well!

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2018  ·  #10
I have 4gb on my 3 Sim only deal and enquiries about Go Binge & they said I would have to upgrade to the next level to use it. I find I don’t use anywhere near my 4gb for Netflix & Deezer (Go Binge music app) so haven’t bothered upgrading. I have apple devices so they are not easy to display on a TV so I would download movies/episodes to a Kindle as it just needs a mini HDMI lead to display on a TV.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2018  ·  #11
Do you get a strong enough signal when wild camping to watch internet tv. I find that when off the beaten track I have very little signal, usually only edge with occasional one bar of 3g. Couldn’t imagine getting much at that

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.01.2018  ·  #12
Good thing about 3 is it will jump to another network if you are near the border at no e tea charge through their “Feel at home” function (like where I live or at Carlingford, North Coast etc and where 4G is available it is fine. With 3 like any network you get get complete “not spots” like I found in Tyrone last week on a Work journey.

Thing to note if trying to use your 3 Sim in a Mobil phone away from your home network/country it will not let you use your phone as a WiFi hotspot to run other devices off.

Macspower
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2018  ·  #13
Thanks for the replies. Very informative

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.