JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Beware HMRC at Portsmouth Port

· 
Posted: 30.01.2018  ·  #1
We had just arrived from Bilbao after an uncomfortable night, and we were invited into the HMRC shed for a "chat."
Shame on us, but we both smoke. We had purchased cigarettes a few weeks before and packed them away in the back of the car.
I was feeling a bit groggy and when asked how many cigarettes we had, I couldn't remember and just hazarded a guess.
Turns out we had 4 times that many, and were accused to lying to the staff. Not pretty.
Now their own poster on the wall of the shed says you can bring in an unlimited quantity from the EU for personal consumption. However, their rule of thumb is 800 per person; more than that and you are going to be grilled.
After an hour they let us go, but we are now in the computer as people to be watched... .

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Beware HMRC at Portsmouth Port

· 
Posted: 30.01.2018  ·  #2
Had a similar experience at Holyhead with my first van, grilled about how much money we had on us and being honest told him around £30, the look on his face was priceless, how are you going to get things? doooh wake up dip sh*t, use a card, go to an ATM etc etc. Turns out our van had made numerous crossings and they suspected money smuggling, people who owned it before us wrote travel guides so genuinely did make very regular crossings.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Beware HMRC at Portsmouth Port

· 
Posted: 30.01.2018  ·  #3
We were pulled over after checking in in Roscoff when the springer to a liking to our van ,in particular under the driver's seat , much to the embarrassment of his handler who found two large rings of very ripe President Bree .he took it in good spirit when I suggested he feed her more often.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.01.2018  ·  #4
Quote by JonMac46

we are now in the computer as people to be watched... .

I wouldn't worry about it Jon, a few cigarettes is hardly International Drug smuggling, I feel I am on that list and I never brought in a Cigarette, Nearly always hassled at the Welsh Ports , no problem with the rest of them though.

Breeze
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 650
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2018  ·  #5
They like to show their authority.
Might be a different story after March 2019

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2018  ·  #6
You really should experience the customs guys at Tangier Med. Those tools make UK men look like primary school prefects.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2018  ·  #7
They emptied my furniture van out one night and even took my taillights out to search behind them , A special breed, a cross between a springer and a pit bull, But keep cool stand back and let them get on with it, That's their job and what they take out they have to put back. Its only gonna get worse after Britexit.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.