FRENCH TOLL TAGS AND OVER 3M

Has anyone any experience?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #1
We are thinking of going for a French toll tag this year.

We have been driving around France for over 20 years and in the last few we have noticed it becoming less and less likely to have the cash option at the peage on many Autoroutes. We have always used cash but as credit card only options are popping up we might as well have a toll tag.

I have read the various threads on the subject and it looks like I will go for the ATMB option after reading JJF's posts.

My concern is that we are slightly over the 3m height (3.03 according to the stats) AND 4250kg. We are always charged as Class 2 in the pay lanes and I assume the same software is used to scan the approaching vehicles in the Telepeage lane. I don't think the weight will be an issue as it would be difficult to tell visually that it is over 3500kg. I noted Robbie's post about being 3.08m (plus dish) and being scanned as Class 3. This doesn't happen to us at 3.03m.
We also have an overcab but I read the post by JJF that the tag can be placed low on the screen so it can be read. I see ATMB has an app which, if it shows the charges in real time I can check the charge after the first peage and see if I am being charged class 2 or 3.

So, my questions are,
Has anyone experience of being over 3m using the toll tag?
Does anyone think the weight will be an issue?
If you use the ATMB App does it show the charges in real time?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: FRENCH TOLL TAGS AND OVER 3M

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #2
were 3.2 metres, but 3500KGS.
I think you be OK, just check the rate on exit, if wrong press the buzzer and tell them, Camping Car, class 2 if you please....... and sorted.
Only happened us twice...
Tag is so handy.... worked at all barriers all the way south.
we've got the ATMB, can check your journeys online 24 hours after you make them, bill is calendar month after the journey.... recommended.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #3
Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #4
Didn't know about the app, must get it for this years trip. The tag comes with 2 clips, I put one under the mirror and the other were the tax disc would have been. Got stuck twice, once when positioned below the mirror and then again when I had moved it the other position. Both times we took the tag off the clip, waved it about and bingo, off we went. Apart from these 2 occasions it worked perfectly and really did speed us through the tolls, leaving queues of traffic behind. Well worth the €20.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #5
Quote by jjf

were 3.2 metres, but 3500KGS.
I think you be OK, just check the rate on exit, if wrong press the buzzer and tell them, Camping Car, class 2 if you please....... and sorted.

3.2m or 3.02m?

Quote by the fat controller

you could always let some air out of the tyres :lol:

or eat even more pies John!

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #6
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Didn't know about the app, must get it for this years trip.

I noticed it online when reading about the tag. I assume that is what it is for.
it is mentioned at the bottom of THIS PAGE
I thought it could be live billing as the traffic reports are "real time " on it ( but I suppose they need to be).

Quote by Mark&Wendy

The tag comes with 2 clips,

handy to know.
Thanks

Quote by Mark&Wendy

Well worth the €20.

I think you are right. No more Johneen hanging out the window or jumping out to pay.. LOL

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #7
3.2 metres Mark, so a good bit heigher than you, but we are <3500 KG..... always class 2 toll.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #8
Quote by JJF

3.2 metres Mark, so a good bit heigher than you, but we are <3500 KG..... always class 2 toll.

Thank you for the info.
I think it is well worth taking a chance.

I don't think the vehicles are weighed going through the peace as they done stop so I can't see the weight being a problem.
Any electronic scan should show us as the same size as other Auto trails which are 3500kg.

Looks like I will be ordering one.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #9
You can always get away with the extra few centimetres but if given class 3 a polite request will get it reverted to class 2.

If you have to declare the GVW when applying for a tag and your over 3.5t you're probably stuffed and stuck with class 3

For me it's the credit card always and always class 2.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #10
Quote by baguette

If you have to declare the GVW when applying

Good point.
I hadn't thought of that.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #11
I don't remember entering any details about weight. You'll not know until you try.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #12
Quote by Mark&Wendy

I don't remember entering any details about weight. You'll not know until you try.

I don't remember anything about weight either and Mark you have said you always pay as class 2 in the past so that is what you are recognized as , Just because you drive in a tag lane, I don't thing its going to be any different

As for the weight if you have to input it on the form ,
your Dyslexic aren't you. :shock:

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #13
I am thinking about a tag as well.
We are 3.1 metres overcab MH and were a class 2 in France last August. But it was a right pain in the arse feeding money into the toll machine. I was sitting too high for the low slot and too low for the high slot. I don't know as to how the A class guys manage it.
Is there a monthly fee applied to the French tag like what happens here?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #14
Quote by Thorn123

There is a fee of €1.60 for any month it is used. No fee for months it isn't used.
This is the one which is working well for jjf as well as Mark&Wendy.
https://www.atmb.com/en

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #15
Cheers Thanks for that.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #16
Well folks I just signed up for a toll tag with Atmb. It didn’t ask for any vehicle details. Is that normal or have I made a horlicks of it. All seemed to go through easy enough, but how does it know what to charge you

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #17
The size of the vehicle is scanned at each gate and your are charged accordingly. Only problem seems to come for vans that are over 3m in height. They can be charged for a higher class and you then need to call the attendant to have the cost reduced. Never happened to us in a 2.8m van.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #18
There must be height sensors or cameras. I also have an ATMB tag and last year I was charged at the class 2 rate. My van is 2.9 height and 3500 kg.

A friend was going across France in his car earlier this month. He applied for a tag, but it did not arrive in time so he took my tag for convenience and was prepared to gamble. The charges for his car are showing as class 1, so it must be by camera or sensor as suggested. I did not declare vehicle details when I applied and none are shown on my account.

Davy

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #19
We got the tag last year too, worked a treat all through France and always charged as class 2 so no problem there. Didn't know about the app and I can't find it in the App Store- is it an ATMB app, the only one I found for that relates to Mont Blanc tunnel conditions. But defo recommend the tag!

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #20
Sound job. I am at 3.06 mts to top of dome. Rest obviously lower. Hopefully will get through on class 2

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #21
Quote by kevinmoore

Didn't know about the app and I can't find it in the App Store- is it an ATMB app, the only one I found for that relates to Mont Blanc tunnel conditions.

I may have jumped the gun on the app. I assumed it was all encompassing but it looks like it my only be live mont blanc traffic reports.

Sorry

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #22
Quote by mark

Quote by kevinmoore

Didn't know about the app and I can't find it in the App Store- is it an ATMB app, the only one I found for that relates to Mont Blanc tunnel conditions.

I may have jumped the gun on the app. I assumed it was all encompassing but it looks like it my only be live mont blanc traffic reports.

Sorry

Oh well- it would be a handy thing as the only issue we had last year was that we'd no idea how much we were spending on the tolls as we went through. Only got charged to the credit card about a month later!

Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #23
Quote by kevinmoore

Oh well- it would be a handy thing as the only issue we had last year was that we'd no idea how much we were spending on the tolls as we went through. Only got charged to the credit card about a month later!

It was mentioned earlier that it is possible to check your online account and the transactions appear in 24 hours.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #24
It’s not an app folks, it’s the ATMB website.
You enter your tag number/account number and password and up pop your journeys... unbilled, in progress, past, paid etc..
Just looked at mine for France, won’t be billed for payment by 15/02/18.
All our journeys over the years are downloadable on .pdf too.

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #25
Quote by mark

Quote by kevinmoore

It was mentioned earlier that it is possible to check your online account and the transactions appear in 24 hours.

Yep that's true. I guess trouble is that by the time you stop for the day, the G&T becomes a more interesting issue to pursue than the toll cost 🍸🍸

Stacks
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Argos A660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #26
Ah stuff it anyway, we were always classed as a class 3 (3.15mtrs, <3.5T) at every toll in France last year.....I should have pressed the buzzer and requested class 2 politely. Ah well, I'll make sure I do it this year😎

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #27
Quote by mark

Quote by Thorn123

There is a fee of €1.60 for any month it is used. No fee for months it isn't used.
This is the one which is working well for jjf as well as Mark&Wendy.
https://www.atmb.com/en

Me also works great ,its brilliant to sail trough the tag lane with all the cars that passed you for the last hour queuing to pay. And you get your statement the following month after you use the tag.
The only difference is I got my tag on a free sign up promotion . will wait to see if I get a bill reminder for the coming year.

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #28
My van is 3.2m and I just pay by credit card.

Last summer I was charged Class 3 but thought with the new van I should have been Class 2. It was after midnight and so I pressed the buzzer and the operator reduced the charge to Class 2.

On the return journey I was charged Class 3 again and so I pressed the buzzer but there was no compromise whatsoever from the other end.. and so I conducted a French blockade and waited at the barrier until the supervisor appeared. She looked at the height and initially sided with me (Class 2) before changing her stance (after speaking to the person on intercom) and insisting I was Class 3.

I later Googled the classification and realised I was wrong.... http://www.autoroutes.fr/fr/classification-des-vehicules.htm

Classe 2- Vehicles or wheel sets with a gross vehicle weight less than or equal to 3.5 tonnes and a total height of between 2 and 3 m. If you are a couple of cm over 3m you will probably be ok. I doubt they would weight you.

Breeze
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 650
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2018  ·  #29
Got the ATMB tag 2 years ago and for€20 it was the best buy . No more leaning out windows looking for change getting card to work some dont take debit cards.
Would definately recommend for anyone going to France

Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2018  ·  #30
I ordered ours today although I had difficulty adding the postcode in the correct box. It would only allow 5 characters so I added in in one of the address lines.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2018  ·  #31
As regards the overall lenght on French Motorways ,they look for axles primarily, whether two or three and if you see the attendant getting up from their seat, its to see if you are towing a trailer, thats all. Dont know about the new sonic measurer but never had any problems in 50 years

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2018  ·  #32
Our MH, tag axle 4500kg is class 4. We have been getting away with Class 2 for years but lately we have been charged full price. Last year is cost us over £90 on a run from Paris to Grenoble. If it is an automated booth I push the button and tell them it is a camping car and normally charged as Class 2. Most of the time it works

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2018  ·  #33
Signed up as well, think we're 3.1m high and a 3.5 tonne as long as I haven't had a big dinner so there may be some pressing of buzzers

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2018  ·  #34
Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2018  ·  #35
No I have found no evidence that spain is included. Sanef is the company you need to go with for France, Spain, Portugal and the English Dartford crossing, but read their site carefully, not all their tags cover it all and I think they are more expensive than ATMB.

Davy

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2018  ·  #36
No ATMB is France only John, it’s our first trip to Spain and just used credit card on the Spanish section of the toll we used.
As Davy said, Sanef do a tag to cover Spain/France and other areas.
I cannot recall the reason why I didn’t go for it, but on the research I did the ATMB came up tops for France and it’s proved to be reliable, cost effective and does all we needed.
If we were going to tour more extensively in Spain we would look again at it, but as it stands ATMB works very well.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2018  ·  #37
Our toll tag arrived over the weekend. It is smaller than I thought it would be

Thanks to everyone who helped.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.03.2018  ·  #38
Just back from France. We were charged 220 euros for a return trip Cherbourg to Méribel. At the automated tolls we were classed 4 and when I told them we had a camping car we were charged Class 2. On 2 of those occasions we were classed 3 but didn’t push it as we are officially class 4. Had we paid as 4 the tolls would have been almost double

Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.03.2018  ·  #39
Quote by TommyS

Just back from France. We were charged 220 euros for a return trip Cherbourg to Méribel. At the automated tolls we were classed 4 and when I told them we had a camping car we were charged Class 2. On 2 of those occasions we were classed 3 but didn’t push it as we are officially class 4. Had we paid as 4 the tolls would have been almost double

Really?
Was that with the toll tag?
What height is you van?

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.03.2018  ·  #40
I once read that the way they work out the band is the height of the bottom corner of the windscreen from the ground. This is done on a similar system to the number plate reader, is that wide of the mark, Mark?

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.