Homepage: declangrady.com
My Motorhome: 2006 Knaus Sun Traveller 650LG-RM
Base Vehicle: Renault Master dci140
Subject:

LEDs : Regulated or not ?

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #1
Hi folks,
Finally getting around to swapping out my lovely halogen bulbs for LED's. (mainly MR11, MR16, and G4)

I did swap one of the G4's a couple of years ago, but the light output was rubbish, so I didn't chnage any other bulbs.

I know this technology is moving along quite quickly. e.g. the "new" COB bulbs I'd never heard of before !

My question is, for motorhomes, are the "regulated" bulbs worth the higher price, or will the cheaper un-regulated types work just as well ? I don't have solar, and we normally use campsites with EHU, so there should be no big variation in voltage I think.

I've recently replaced some older LED bulbs in my home with new bulbs, similar wattage, and the difference in light output is amazing. The new 5.4W (I think) LED's are actually better that a 50W halogen when you see them side-by-side.

I have enough grey hairs to know "you get what you pay for" ! Just looking for anyone with experience of both types to see is there any difference in practice.

Thanks.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: LEDs : Regulated or not ?

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #2
I changed some of our bulbs to led in the motorhome 2 years ago. I got a pair of cheap ones and a pair of expensive ones. Both lots are the same wattage, same number of lunems etc.
The difference is the spread pattern of each one. The cheaper one is more focused, leading to a harsher brightness near to the lamp but the light doesn't travel far.
The more expensive led give a better light that is distributed more even around the area.
Malcolm

dealgan
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #3
Thanks Malcolm.

Yes, I noticed the older LED's I had looked nice & bright, but didnt actually cast much light, if that makes sense.
If you stood under one, to read something, it wouldn't really be bright enough, but with the newer bulbs, they dont look any brighter to look at, but they do give out more light.

I'm sure there is a technical term for what I'm trying to explain !

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #4
If you mainly use EHU why bother changing

dealgan
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #5
Quote by eirebus

If you mainly use EHU why bother changing

Good question.

I guess to have the flexibility of not needing EHU, and still be able to run lights without fear of flatting battery.
(Have had some occasions when no EHU was available and battery got too low to even run the heating !)

Maybe having that flexibility, we would try some of the nicer parking spots available.

Maybe that changes the requirements ?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #6
A few lights shouldn't pull too much power from a leisure battery over a couple of nights. From our caravan days we were running an old tv which drank power. When we changed to the MH in 2015, we purchased a new 19 inch tv/dvd combo which pulls only 20 watts per hour which translates into less than 2 amps per hour from the battery. An electric cooler box is another devil on power. The point been than something is consuming the battery power.
It would do no harm to get your leisure battery tested for capacity ( sorry can't remember the proper name) because it might not be holding enough of power when it's fully charged.
Malcolm

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #7
We bought a brilliant (excuse pun) light as I though the LED spots in cab area poor light hard to read/Knit. It is a work spotlight LED and you charge it up., also a long shaped one that can be split in two....in Aldi or Lidl (I love buying gadgets, if not suitable I bring them back)
I posted about it elsewhere with photo when similar topic came up....we showed it to some in Scarva, and also good as an awning light.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #8
In my van it already had LED lighting but in the kitchen worktop area they had put 2 spotlights so I bought these and wired then in behind the spotlights great light
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-1…2375f5357b

used the existing wiring for the spots and fitted a small round switch to turn them on.

Also bought another pair and stick magnetic tape on the back to use in the awning (panel van conversion)

Bargain at the price
David

dealgan
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #9
Well I ordered a few el-cheapo ebay bulbs to see how they work out.

They were quite cheap, so not big deal if they are no good !

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.