hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Citreon Relay
Subject:

Switching from butane to Propane

· 
Posted: 12.01.2018  ·  #1
Good morning, I'm sure this has been covered in depth already, but is changing from butane to Propane just a matter of a pigtail being fitted please? Thanks in advance.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Switching from butane to Propane

· 
Posted: 12.01.2018  ·  #2
Yes or a change of regulator depending on the age of your Van , general rule ,pre 04 regulator post 04 pigtail

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.01.2018  ·  #3
Thank you for the information, that's good news!

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2018  ·  #4
I switched over to propane recently as soon as the weather got cold. It was just a matter of changing out the 37 mbar regulator for a 29 mbar one. I've kept the old regulator as I still have half a cylinder of butane which I intend to use in the spring time.

hector2015
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2018  ·  #5
Thank you. That's good news, as I have a full small butane cylinder. It would be great to be able to use both.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.01.2018  ·  #6
I use propane all year round. It saves me changing the regulators. In the winter I carry 2 x 13 kg and 1 x 6 kg

doron
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #7
Same here propane all year.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #8
A bit of mis-imformation on here !!

Have a read of THIS LINK to the Calor website where all is explained by those who know best. Especially the difference between static mobile homes and caravan and motorhomes and the 2003 change in regulations.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.01.2018  ·  #9
I’ve just had a read of that information leaflet Baguette. I was not aware that post 2003 campers are now required to run gas at 30mbar for propane and butane. That means I’m runner nag at the wrong pressure, i.e 37mbar. Do I need to be concerned? This does not apply to older Motorhomes.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #10
You probably have an inbuilt 30 mb regulator in the van 03/04 was change over period ie some changed some not , post 03/04 probably best to run propane as fridges set to run at 30 mb and butane regulator is 28 mb so after this time you would have a 28 mb regulator connected to the onboard 30 mb regulator if you use butane ahh motorhomes are such fun 😀

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #11
Well I fitted the regulator myself when I switched to propane. I used a 37mbar reg.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #12
Is your Van pre or post 03/04 alot of newer Vans fridges are rated at 30 mb

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #13
The van is post 03 but I the appliances may well be older. The previous owner converted the van and used appliances from an old caravan, 4-way gas hob, gas oven, Carver water heater and Propex gas heater. Everything appears to be working since I switched over to propane on the higher pressure so I’m inclined not to tinker with anything.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #14
The 37 mbar regulator is for a domestic house use. They are the regulator sold in most hardware shops. A kitchen cooker would have a higher consumption of gas due to bigger hob rings and a bigger oven etc therefore gas would be fed at a higher pressure.
My only concern is, because of the higher pressure of the gas supply, are the applicances burning the gas correctly to eliminate dangerous gas emissions?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.01.2018  ·  #15
I did have these concerns myself. I tried to search the specs on the appliances to see if the gas type and regulator pressure was specified. I couldn't find anything. I was under the impression that propane just uses 37mbar. I didn’t know it could run on 30mbar just fine. I could try switching to a lower pressure and see if the appliances work ok but I have to wonder about the pre 03 Motorhomes and appliances running at 37mbar. There is no issue there right?

Anyway, regardless of whether my gas lines are pressurized at 37 or 30, the actual gas consumption of each appliance is set to the appropriate level via the appliance dial. So surely it is not like I need to burn gas at a higher rate than what I did on butane, is it?

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.01.2018  ·  #16
Quote by The Rambler

I did have these concerns myself. I tried to search the specs on the appliances to see if the gas type and regulator pressure was specified. I couldn't find anything I could try switching to a lower pressure and see if the appliances work ok but I have to wonder about the pre 03 Motorhomes and appliances running at 37mbar. There is no issue there right?

I had a look at my cooker today as I was also was wondering which pressure is correct,the serial number plate on my spinflow cooker,(inside the oven door) states it was made September 2001,butane 28-30 and propane 30-37.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #17
Well I have been taking a closer look at my appliance specifications and did find relevant information.

(1) Carver Cascade 2 water heater - Butane @ 28mbar or Propane @ 37mbar

(2) Propex HS2000 - Butane @ 28mbar or Propane @ 37mbar.
Manual does say you may run propane at 30mbar but maximum power will be reduced.

(3) Electrolux RM4236 fridge - Can't find manual specific to this model but all Electrolux RM series manuals all seem to say same thing:

“The Refrigerator is designed for operation on LP gas of Butane type the pressure of which must be 28 mbar for Butane and 37 mbar for Propane.”

I had to read the above a few times to see if I understood clearly what they mean. I think it is just poor translation but I interpret it to mean - Butane @ 28mbar or Propane @ 37mbar.

I haven't been able to find any info on my oven or hob. To be honest I am not concerned and am happy to keep the propane at 37 mbar and think that running it on lower pressure is not optimal for that kind of gas and possible resulting in incorrect combustion. I am not sure how post 03 Motorhomes deal with this, or how higher pressures (50 mbar) systems on the continent do. But I am no expert and am open to expert advice.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #18
I would be the first to admit that I'm not an expert.
The difference between 30 and 37 mbar is very little. A good sneeze has more pressure.
Our MH is away at the moment getting a habitation check so I can't reference the regulator for you but the house regulator is 37 mbar.
The MH has an extra valve located beside the coupling that screws onto the gas cylinder. It is designed to close if there is a sudden change in pressure, ie a leak, or if you drive down the road and forget to close the cylinder.
It a piece of brass about 3 inches long with a green button on the side. I have no idea as to the name of this valve but I'm sure that someone here will educate us.
Malcolm

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.01.2018  ·  #19
Quote by Thorn123

I would be the first to admit that I'm not an expert.
The difference between 30 and 37 mbar is very little. A good sneeze has more pressure.
Our MH is away at the moment getting a habitation check so I can't reference the regulator for you but the house regulator is 37 mbar.
The MH has an extra valve located beside the coupling that screws onto the gas cylinder. It is designed to close if there is a sudden change in pressure, ie a leak, or if you drive down the road and forget to close the cylinder.
It a piece of brass about 3 inches long with a green button on the side. I have no idea as to the name of this valve but I'm sure that someone here will educate us.
Malcolm

We have one of those valves on our motorhome and it is called a Truma Mono Control ,just as you said it will cut off supply if there is a sudden drop in pressure.

the irish rover
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2018  ·  #20
hi folks. i use butain at the momont, with a clip on cylindar fitting. im changing to propane now. do yea recomend a screw on fitting or a clip on fitting. thanks folks.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2018  ·  #21
I'm not over familiar with all the possible fittings but when I switched to butane I had a clip-on regulator, but when I switched to propane I attached a screw-on regulator. The propane cylinder I bought dictated that the regulator be a screw type. The piece of flexible hosing that attaches to the regulator is fixed with a jubilee clip which is quite straight forward.

Clip-on regs are more convenient for sure. If that is an option for you then it makes like easier when you need to change out an empty when on the road and you might not have the appropriate spanner with you. But I would think you may might need to acquire the propane first and work back from there to suit it’s fitting.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2018  ·  #22
We have the screw on bottle of propane, when I went to replace it last week at our usual supplier he told me that he no longer sell the clip on type. I don’t know if they are discontinued or he just don’t have demand for them.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2018  ·  #23
I thought all red propane bottles were screw thread fittings, the grey patio gas is also propane with a clip on connector but not sold as propane. Is there another type of clip on fitting?

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2018  ·  #24
We have a red propane clip on type tank for the house cooker here in the North,but my van propane tank is screw on.I think my son is using the grey patio type which I think is also clip on.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.01.2018  ·  #25
Quote by petie

We have a red propane clip on type tank for the house cooker here in the North,but my van propane tank is screw on.I think my son is using the grey patio type which I think is also clip on.

I stand corrected. Worth noting that UK and ROI use different threaded fittings too, you might not notice until you take off the plastic seal.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.01.2018  ·  #26
I got a cylinder of propane during the summer and the yard man in my local stockist reckons that it's a racket between Calor and Flogas. Calor are doing propane with screw thread and Flogas are doing butane with clip on coupling. The northern thread is different to the ROI. From looking around and listening here the only universal cylinder and thread across Europe is the campingaz setup but it comes at a premium price.
Personal I don't like the smell of butane gas been burnt but maybe it's in my head !!!!!!!!!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.