TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

The Good Old Days 2

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #1
Ok what about another thread about the good old days ( motorhoming). Apologies if one already started. When I started years ago there were very few vans on the roads and even fewer places to buy. The one place to buy back then was Tinsleys near Carryduff. They always had a selection and when you met another van you would recognise it as you had probably looked at it previously. I bought an orange and white VWT2 air cooled 1600cc . I don’t remember the converter but suspect it was Devon. It had Pullman seating that could be made to 4 forward facing seats and a double bed. Roll out beds in the pop up roof completed the 4 berths. There was a 2 burner hob, no grill, a small basin with a water foot pump and that was it. Our first trip took us to Athens and back via a circumferential route taking in France, Italy, Yugoslavia,Austria,Switzerland,Lichtenstein,Germany, Holland,Belgium. It was a bit of a trek and we had so many experiences including driving around a corner in Yugoslavia into a landslide and bursting a tyre. I still have fond memories of that VW and keep telling her indoors that I would love to go back to that basic pure motorhoming. She doesn’t agree as it would be giving up the shower, toilet, heating comfortable beds etc. But I can dream

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: The Good Old Days 2

· 
Posted: 10.01.2018  ·  #2
I bought a Calthorpe on a standard atlas chassis with a roof that went up in a semi circle for a £150 ,seemed a lot of money then, and I still have somewhere the receipt from Godfrey Davis for a brand new ford transit motorhome,the one with a luton bed and the door was at the back in 1979 for just under £2000, just cant remember the model at the moment.but I remember collecting it from Epping. My dad had a vw devon orange and white was the colour. Yes those were the days over to France from Ramsgate on a Hovercraft in about 40 minutes, no tunnel then

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.