StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Van broken into at carcassonne

· 
Posted: 27.12.2017  ·  #1
Just heard from people I know who had their MH broken into whilst in a campervan parking area in carcassonne France. They stopped went off for an hour to find on return a window broken, their safe which was screwed to the floor in the wardrobe missing along with passports, pet passport, cash, jewellery, laptop, I pad all gone.
Be careful where you stop or even park people, this is not fake news, I know these people it is not a "gassing" story.
To me I guess they were watched parking up and targeted. They are continuing south and hopefully I talk to them some time soon in Spain or Portugal.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Van broken into at carcassonne

· 
Posted: 27.12.2017  ·  #2
Bas&(*DS :devil:

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.12.2017  ·  #3
Quote by Ally

Totally agree and it's not an insurance job they work for one of the big two in Ireland as well being an MH owner, very sad as this was a big trip for them.
On the plus side weather is great here so hopefully they'll have a good rest of their hols.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.12.2017  ·  #4
That’s a downer, wouldn’t you think a safe screwed down would be secure enough to prevent it being stolen.
Goes to show the length that those criminals will go to. Thanks for the heads up and makes us think a bit more about our security. Hopefully they can get on with their holidays and have things sorted out.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.12.2017  ·  #5
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Quote by Ally

Totally agree and it's not an insurance job they work for one of the big two in Ireland as well being an MH owner, very sad as this was a big trip for them.
On the plus side weather is great here so hopefully they'll have a good rest of their hols.

Also agree, I know what they are going through, our Motorhome was broken into outside an aire a short distance from St Nazaire in 2014 in the middle of the day on a sunday, we were a bit luckier they didn't get a far as the safe, No insurance would compensate you for the grief, infact we changed the Motorhome a short while later, we lost all interest in it. The odd thing it didn't effect us for the rest of the holiday, it was the following year we were really paranoid where we parked. If where they were parked is where I am thinking under the castle that park is shared with cars and buses and is quite public. I think they prey on foreign vans knowing they will have all the items mentioned.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.12.2017  ·  #6
I parked in the local Asda car park yesterday in the car and as I was walking away I clicked the remote. I hadn't heard the click or seen the indicators flash. I clicked again but nothing happened. I went back, the car wasn't locked, so I removed anything of value and locked it with the key. When I returned it would not open with the fob so I unlocked it with the key. I wondered was it a battery failure ie 4 years since it was changed but it has worked 30 times since. Someone may have been blocking the signal to steal from the vehicle after I had walked away leaving it unlocked.
On a lighter note my 5 year old nephew couldn't believe his eyes that you can lock a car with a key instead of a remote.
I think we are becoming too reliant on technology, the amount of high end cars, keyless entry and keyless start that are being stolen after being scanned.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.12.2017  ·  #7
Sorry to hear of the loss, but you have to think of your enemy and don't leave things like passports etc for them to get at,too handy.Take a safe for instance ,it says look here I am with lots of goodies for you, you should leave a little cash in it and other replacable documentation. Passports for instance you could make a holder under a shelf to hide them or a little trap door in the bottom of the wardrobe or in the Luton covered with carpet ,make it hard for them to find . I carry a small chain and lock, for around the door handles and through the steering wheel it says to them,I am expecting you and you wont get in or out of this door, strops and bands are no good as the can be easily cut with a sharp knife. Make it hard for them as they want in and out as quick as possible .

denboye
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Globecar Campscout
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 150 bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.12.2017  ·  #8
Yes, have the tee shirt, I think it was 2011 Agen, France, supermarket car park, broken window,
Passports,cash, wallet containing bank cards, holiday insurance documents all taken. Police in attendance and may I say looked after us really well but the hassle involved in reporting to all concerned is pressure, I wasn’t a happy bear 🐻 But hey 3 months down the line and I looked back and nobody got physically hurt ( meaning us) and we too changed the van.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.12.2017  ·  #9
Quote by nilrac

Sorry to hear of the loss, but you have to think of your enemy and don't leave things like passports etc for them to get at,too handy.Take a safe for instance ,it says look here I am with lots of goodies for you, you should leave a little cash in it and other replacable documentation. Passports for instance you could make a holder under a shelf to hide them or a little trap door in the bottom of the wardrobe or in the Luton covered with carpet ,make it hard for them to find . I carry a small chain and lock, for around the door handles and through the steering wheel it says to them,I am expecting you and you wont get in or out of this door, strops and bands are no good as the can be easily cut with a sharp knife. Make it hard for them as they want in and out as quick as possible .

I’d agree with you there. The safe is an invitation, we tend to carry everything with us in terms of documentation any cash in van would need Houdini to find it. And we leave the safe wide open. To be honest I’m thinking of getting rid of it altogether as it is never used

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.12.2017  ·  #10
A mate of my parents has been trucking on the continent for over 40 years.
When he parks the truck to leave it anywhere, he always carries a bag away with him. The bag is filled with newspaper but it creates the illusion that all his money and paperwork is with him. He had very few truck breakins over the years, most was for his load not his personal belongings.
On occasions when the bag has been swiped, he lets it go without a fuss. Over the years he has found the police more responsive to a personal robbery that a vehicle breakin. His reasoning is that police don't really care about vehicle breakin because there is insurance to compensate.
Like other posts here, we always carry stuff with us but on very rare occasions, things may get hidden in unusual places in the MH and that the same here in Ireland.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.12.2017  ·  #11
Our last van was broken into and the safe ripped out doing a lot of damage to the van,I would never use a safe again it is the first thing thy look for,leave an old wallet with out of date credit cards and bank cards and a few euro in it on the table once they grab that they are gone. All they got out of my safe was a key

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.12.2017  ·  #12
A safe is a waste of time unless it is in a secluded place bolted through the chassis and the nuts on the inside needing the safe to be opened to undo it, also those electronic safes are a waist of time, we had one in the Chausson and forgot the code to open it so I googled the make and model and lo and behold up came a default code that opened straight away. I think Ken have the right Idea with an old wallet, in our case when they broke in they were in and out in less than a minute I would think. everything that was stolen was in the locker over the cab, nothing else was touched. they gained entry through the drivers door by putting something like a screwdriver into the door lock and the yanked off the barrel and were able to open the door with their finger through the hole where the barrel was. (Fiat Ducato 2004)

Pamela
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.12.2017  ·  #13
It’s great getting all the tips of ye, we are going to France for the first time in June, we have a safe bought and all, but we didn’t put it in the motorhome yet, now I’m having second taughts about safe, I must show all this to my other half,

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.12.2017  ·  #14
Quote by Pamela

It’s great getting all the tips of ye, we are going to France for the first time in June, we have a safe bought and all, but we didn’t put it in the motorhome yet, now I’m having second taughts about safe, I must show all this to my other half,

Hi Pamela,
Put the safe somewhere different than the normal. Fix it into the garage or under a bench seat but cover it with blanket or something else. Bring things that only necessary for holidays. My wife leaves her rings at home but has costume replicas rings for travelling. I leave my good phone at home even on a night out with the lads, but I swap the sim into a old second hand phone that will never be stolen.
Try and get into the habit of carrying the most important stuff with you, passport, money, jewellery etc. It is the same principles wether you are backpacking in south America or taking the Orient Express train. There is always someone looking for a quick payday.
Use your common sense when parking up. Most towns and cities in France have aires, follow the MH signs and park up. Some are free or just a couple of euro during the day, but more importantly there are always a few fellow motorhomers knocking about, watching around. These places are in walking distance to the attraction or on a bus route.
It also important to remember that you will always hear about the few bad experiences when travelling but you never hear about the thousands of good experiences had by people.
I hope that my thoughts will settle you and help you to plan positively towards your trip.
Malcolm

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.12.2017  ·  #15
Scan all important documents and cards and email them to yourself. If the worst happens at least you have ready copies of what has been taken.
Other than credit cards most other stuff can be used if you have the membership or reference numbers and getting replacements is simpler.

EHIC Card, Driving Licence, Insurance Cert, Vehicle Registration Cert, Insurance Certs, Engine Reset Code, Social Services Card, etc. etc. If all were suddenly gone how many people would know the vital info on each to simplify replacement.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.12.2017  ·  #16
For what its worth. This is my way when I travel or go walking .I opened a debt account with two cards ,into this I put small money for day to day and top up as needed from another account ,that way if the card is stolen there isn't much to loose . if it is I will transfer the money out as soon as I can. One card is hidden away , with my credit card .the other is always carried on me, with my passport and money inside my cloth's ,and in my pillow at night. Spending money in an outside pocket. I also carry on me, a photocopy of all my cards ,ins etc, passport medical details on A4 sheets front and back, with contact details of next of kin ,in case I am not able to communicate .when walking around always bulk out a pocket or two with kitchen towel , pick pockets love a bulky pocket. I have a hiding place in the van that needs tools to get to.
As for a safe ,there is no such thing.

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.12.2017  ·  #17
Unless a safe can be mounted to the chassis in some way, it is pretty useless in a MH (essentially constructed of fibreglass and chipboard). We are extremely careful where we park in France and use a couple of very well concealed cubbies that took 2 months of ownership to discover for passports etc but at the end of the day you are a statistic.

Hymer Cork
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B514SL
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducati 2.3 130 ps
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2017  ·  #18
I mounted my under one of the rear bench seats and drilled four holes through the floor and two are onto the metal cross members and I spot welded the nuts :P

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2017  ·  #19
Some very good tips for all to digest, So I will toss this in the hat. Get your passport ,credit card ,insurance etc copied and seal them in a strong plastic bag, like the ones spare parts come in. and place it under the battery or up inside the chassis also good place to secrete a spare key. This would give you a back up store if you lost your keys or lost you wallet. You could then get inside have a meal ,sleep or get your self sorted out without having to break in. But don't forget to remove it all when you sell the van

Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2017  ·  #20
I like the one about leaving a dog bowl of water outside the van... even if you don't have a dog.

Pamela
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2017  ·  #21
Quote by Thorn123

Quote by Pamela

Hi Pamela,
Put the safe somewhere different than the normal. Fix it into the garage or under a bench seat but cover it with blanket or something else. Bring things that only necessary for holidays. My wife leaves her rings at home but has costume replicas rings for travelling. I leave my good phone at home even on a night out with the lads, but I swap the sim into a old second hand phone that will never be stolen.
Try and get into the habit of carrying the most important stuff with you, passport, money, jewellery etc. It is the same principles wether you are backpacking in south America or taking the Orient Express train. There is always someone looking for a quick payday.
Use your common sense when parking up. Most towns and cities in France have aires, follow the MH signs and park up. Some are free or just a couple of euro during the day, but more importantly there are always a few fellow motorhomers knocking about, watching around. These places are in walking distance to the attraction or on a bus route.
It also important to remember that you will always hear about the few bad experiences when travelling but you never hear about the thousands of good experiences had by people.
I hope that my thoughts will settle you and help you to plan positively towards your trip.
Malcolm

Thanks very much Malcolm,

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2017  ·  #22
Just a something to add to this post .
Do you all have a way to get into your van, if you loose your keys.
Have you got a spare key somewhere on the outside ?
If you keep one on the inside ,do you know which , door or window or outside storage department lock , is the cheapest and easiest to source and replace.
If the answer is no , the do yourself a favour and do a bit or research in the new year.
Think outside the box.
A key on a piece of wire connected to the measure cap of your cassette, might be sh111ie ,but to replace the lock/catch is cheaper them a window.
Sell the wife's jewellery and buy a new van. problems solved.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.12.2017  ·  #23
Unscrew a side lamp or a rear light and place a spare key inside it, before refitting it. Usually it's a dry place and the key shouldn't rust.
No matter where you are, you will always find or buy a screwdriver.
Malcolm

thepilote
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.12.2017  ·  #24
I use a ratchet strap between the two handles of the cab doors but have no idea what to do do secure the habitation door. Any suggestions. I also have a safe but beginning to wonder about it now after reading the posts here. HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.12.2017  ·  #25
As I have said before Mr P ,they will break the small window and slice the strap, A few years back between Alicante and Villa Joy Rosa I was parked at one of the large supermarkets and had my chain on. I got a knife through my front tyre for their frustration but they did not bother to try to get in , in a busy car park they don't want to attract attention so they tap the quarter light with a sharp spike and get a hand inside and open the door . they Nip in quickly and nobody pays too much notice to a few blasts on the alarm.I found out there had been four other vans done in the vicinity in a couple of hours. I believe you can get a handle that turns in on the door and locks.They would be on Ebay or at any caravan stockist.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.01.2018  ·  #26
Quote by nilrac

I believe you can get a handle that turns in on the door and locks.They would be on Ebay or at any caravan stockist.

Think twice about fitting that handle, we had it on our last van and the panel beater that repaired it told me he had a van in the week before with a big hole on the side where thieves levered out the handle and pulled out a piece of the side of the van in the process , that was more expensive to repair than what they stole.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.01.2018  ·  #27
Quote by thepilote

I use a ratchet strap between the two handles of the cab doors but have no idea what to do do secure the habitation door. Any suggestions. I also have a safe but beginning to wonder about it now after reading the posts here. HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.

I have a ratchet strap on the habitation door you can anchor it to the leg of the table.Take the door off the safe or leave it open, or remove it

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.01.2018  ·  #28
I made a strap out of wire with 2 loops at each end. I put one loop through the door handle, feed the rest of the wire through it and then padlock the other loop to the other handle. If that makes sense. I use a bungee cord to tie the habitation door. Hopefully there is a bit of give allowing the alarm sensor to kick off if someone tries to open the door

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2018  ·  #29
We will be heading to France for first time later this year. Would two bikes hitched to a bike rack be asking for it if parking in aires?

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2018  ·  #30
Quote by The Rambler

We will be heading to France for first time later this year. Would two bikes hitched to a bike rack be asking for it if parking in aires?

We have been there with bikes on rack and never had any problems, I always had them secured with a flexi wire cable and lock also covered with bike cover to make it difficult to identify the quality of them.
We always tried to be careful about leaving the van in isolated areas.
Go and enjoy your Holliday as it is only the very unfortunate few that ever have these kinds of problem

Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2018  ·  #31
Quote by The Rambler

Never had a problem with bikes on the back at Aires (either mounted on the rack or just locked to it overnight). When on the rack, I use extra security straps in addition to the Fiamma restraints. I use a lightweight motorbike padlock to lock the bikes onto the rack and a couple of lightweight locks to daisy chain the bikes together and to the bike rack. I don't use a cover (haven't found one that works) and the bikes are fairly new and not cheap. This means safely storing extra keys but better safe than sorry!

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2018  ·  #32
Ok another story. We had 2 bicycles taken from the rear rack of our VW Leisuredrive while we were parked on a campsite near Scarborough while we were sleeping. I had them chained to the rack but they must have used cutters. I bought a motorcycle chain and used it afterwards. A few years later we were in a campsite in Hungary and reversed up to a chain link fence. When we got up in the morning someone had snipped the fence and had tried to remove our bicycles. They had snipped the bicycle locks but couldn’t break the motorcycle chain. Again in Czechoslovakia we had parked at a cafe and were sitting outside it watching the van about 30 yards away. A crowd came up and started fiddling with the chains of the bicycles. They were aware that we were watching but continued. It was only when I went over they went away To The Rambler just ensure they are secure and enjoy your holiday

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2018  ·  #33
Wow Tommy. That's quite a bit of attention your bikes have been getting. Some brass neck to have them stolen whilst sleeping inside. I see potential for some kind of audible alarm that is activated when someone tampers with the bikes. Inventors please?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2018  ·  #34
Perhaps something like this ??

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2018  ·  #35
[quote="The Rambler I see potential for some kind of audible alarm that is activated when someone tampers with the bikes. Inventors please?
[/quote]

I am almost sure that they already exist,if the securing cable is cut it activates an alarm.

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Strikeback

· 
Posted: 13.01.2018  ·  #36
Our Strikeback alarm has a cable connected to it via a plug under the rear of the van with a switch on the dash to connect or disconnect its use. You wrap the cable around your bikes, chairs etc. by opening a connection and then closing it again after everything is encompassed within, to complete the loop. Your bikes etc. are now alarmed when your alarm is on, even at night when you are inside the van.

Robbie
Starline S680
My Motorhome: Hymer S680
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2018  ·  #37
Quote by Floorman

Our Strikeback alarm has a cable connected to it via a plug under the rear of the van with a switch on the dash to connect or disconnect its use. You wrap the cable around your bikes, chairs etc. by opening a connection and then closing it again after everything is encompassed within, to complete the loop. Your bikes etc. are now alarmed when your alarm is on, even at night when you are inside the van.

Ours is the same however it just takes some chap with a piece of wire and a knife to bypass the loop. If using a cover a panic alarm attached to the cover from the bike can work well, Once they move the cover the alarm will blast off before they get near the locks.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2018  ·  #38
Save your selves all the hassel lads, just buy cheap bikes for the back of the van and let them be seen to be cheap and they will not be touched 👍

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2018  ·  #39
There is probably the same chance of being burgled while on hollidays as there is of winning the lottery, to the few that it happens to it must be sole destroying to the rest it will never happen.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.01.2018  ·  #40
Dont forget to record your serial numbers just in case ,as will need them for getting a police case number if want process a claim

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.