minibus conversion

jmcg
Subject:

minibus conversion

· 
Posted: 24.11.2017  ·  #1
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has converted a minibus and has some advice it would be much appreciated. Particularly, regarding weights and re-registering it.

I was thinking of a 17 seater ford transit and I am hoping to keep it within the B license category.

Thanks,
John

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: minibus conversion

· 
Posted: 24.11.2017  ·  #2
Can’t help with your question but welcome to MHC.
I’m sure someone along soon with an answer to your query.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.11.2017  ·  #3
Are you in the north or south ,there are some great videos on utube about converting vans take a look as or registering and weight s you would need to get in touch with who ever issues your tax good luck on your conversion and welcome to the craic 👍🚌

jmcg
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2017  ·  #4
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm based in the south, I've been playing with the idea for a while now so reasonably confident in what I want in it and how to go about most of the work from a practical perspective.

I saw a camper advertised recently and they mentioned downgrading the weight - that would be similar to what I want to do. But, how do insurance companies treat this, if I need to transport it when weighing it etc. costs could ramp up very quickly on expenses I'd prefer not spending

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2017  ·  #5
When you get the conversion done you'll have to take it to the "GENTLEMEN" in Rosslare. They'll look at it, pull a magic figure out of the air, tell you that's the Irish value of it and charge you 13.5% of that figure. 🇧🇭 🇧🇭 Might be worth doing a crap conversion first and after all the paperwork for the robbery is complete start upgrading your new motorhome. Not advising anything, just thinking out loud. ;-)

jmcg
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2017  ·  #6
Flipper I have seen that 'advice' alright...I would be doing the work myself so it may end up being more rustic than planned anyhow :)

vino
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: panel van conversion
Base Vehicle: citroen relay 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2017  ·  #7
Check the vrt status of the minibus at the moment. I think they pay higher rate when new so the difference between minibus and campervan might not be that great. I converted a minibus years ago ( renault traffic H/R) it was already classed as private in log book so no problem.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.