simplybikes
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Heater in winter

· 
Posted: 22.11.2017  ·  #1
A quick question folks. My Truma heater has a frost protection aspect to it in that when the temperature drops below 3 degrees it automatically empties. It emptied last year without me knowing it had frost protection built in. My question is would you empty it prior to the temp. dropping as part of wintering the van or would you let it do it automatically using the inbuilt frost protection?

Subject:

Re: Heater in winter

· 
Posted: 22.11.2017  ·  #2
We use the van all year but we empty all water and drain the boiler when it is not in use at this time of year. It doesn't take long to fill the tank and refill the boiler when you are getting ready to head away.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2017  ·  #3
I think it's 8 degrees on mine when it self drains. Happened the first night I returned home from France this month.

But on reading the handbook, I think I would go for the manual draining as it encourages you to open the taps too in order to drain the water which is in the pipes.

simplybikes
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2017  ·  #4
Thanks for the replies. That's a good point about draining the taps.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2017  ·  #5
If you let it do it automatically, make sure you have the pump turned off or it may try and fill. Although thinking out loud here................ :) .......... maybe the power cuts also? anyone know:?

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2017  ·  #6
I think you are right Ally

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2017  ·  #7
Whilst at home I keep the MH plugged in to the electric and constantly run the heating system on the thermostat at 15degrees. Is this ok to do or should I be draining the system?

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2017  ·  #8
Quote by JMAC

Whilst at home I keep the MH plugged in to the electric and constantly run the heating system on the thermostat at 15degrees. Is this ok to do or should I be draining the system?

Have you ever thought of running the electric lead through a time clock where you could have the electric turned off through the day? this would save you some money on electricity.
I only ever put on the heat in our motorhome if the tempature starts getting near freezing.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2017  ·  #9
I have a Carver 2 heater. I've just read up on the steps to draining so plan to do that shortly. Are there any particular steps I need do in terms of draining the pump? Is it enough to just run the taps until no more water runs?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2017  ·  #10
If I remember correctly from our caravan days, the carver water heater has its own drain plug at the bottom edge of the exhaust panel on the outside. It is round plastic plug that takes a flat head screw driver. Just take care as not to lose the rubber o ring because it seal the plug.
Most MH fresh water tanks has a lever valve under the floor to release the water. Look under the wagon outside roughly where the storage tank is located.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2017  ·  #11
Cheers. Will have a look for a storage tank drain. If not I'll run a siphon line.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2017  ·  #12
As above, I do drain the system is I'll be sitting for a few days. It's handy enough to refill it before leaving again.

Cheers,
Rami

bertie
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 640
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2017  ·  #13
Quote by ntg

Quote by JMAC

Have you ever thought of running the electric lead through a time clock where you could have the electric turned off through the day? this would save you some money on electricity.
I only ever put on the heat in our motorhome if the tempature starts getting near freezing.

That's exactly what I'm at right this minute. I have the alde heating system on in the kontiki the last half hour, insulated window blinds pulled up on all windows and front windscreen blinds in place too.

Gonna get it toasty in here for another half hour or so and lock it up for the night. I'm reluctant to drain the water because I'm due to go down to Wexford during the week. Am I on the right track lads or should I have a small 1kw electric fan on overnight on a timer?

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2017  ·  #14
I would say that you are on the right track as any frost at present is not harsh enough to do damage.

bertie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2017  ·  #15
Thanks for the reply. I hope you're right. I'm in Wicklow here and it's 4 seasons in one day. Crazy stuff. You'd need factor 50 and a set of oil skins.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2017  ·  #16
I am in Co Antrim and it is the same here

bertie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2017  ·  #17
It's been a relatively mild year in fairness with us. I work in construction driving machinery on sites and we've only been held up 2or3 times for the whole year weatherwise. That's why I'm kind of fearing Mother Nature's revenge on us for November /December.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2017  ·  #18
I work in the construction trade and it seems like it has pissed on us since July,at least if it freezes it cannot piss at the same time. :happy:

bertie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.11.2017  ·  #19
Don't tempt fate. Ha

simplybikes
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2017  ·  #20
Folks...out of curiosity what temperature do you think it should be in the van over the winter months
to keep everything sorted, no damp etc. Heated debate in our house as we have different views. My wife is insisting on 5 degrees
I think mainly because she's penny pinching and won't pay for the heat, I think it should be more like 7 or 8 degrees. We have a small oil filled radiator on 24 / 7 and a small dehumidifer. It's causing tension and I need help here.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2017  ·  #21
5 should be good as all you want to do is prevent freezing,

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2017  ·  #22
Quote by simplybikes

Folks...out of curiosity what temperature do you think it should be in the van over the winter months
to keep everything sorted, no damp etc. Heated debate in our house as we have different views. My wife is insisting on 5 degrees
I think mainly because she's penny pinching and won't pay for the heat, I think it should be more like 7 or 8 degrees. We have a small oil filled radiator on 24 / 7 and a small dehumidifer. It's causing tension and I need help here.

If you're not going to use the MH during the winter, just make yourself a note to open up the van, air it a little bit put a dehumidifier at lease every other week and that should be OK.

This vehicles have been designed to be out in the open, so as long as you give her time to breath you should be OK.

Cheers,
Rami

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2017  ·  #23
Quote by simplybikes

I think mainly because she's penny pinching and won't pay for the heat. It's causing tension and I need help here.

Change the wife. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2017  ·  #24
So I’m still a little confused as to what should be done when heading off for the weekend during a possible cold snap. Say I had the water system drained whilst parked up at home for fear of frost damage, and then decide to head off in cold weather. Do I then replenish the water supply and hope that the very nature of habitation and all it entails with the use of heating, motion etc. will be enough to avoid any freezing water pipes and pumps? Or do I forego having water?

simplybikes
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2017  ·  #25
I would refill everything and leave the heater on at night with the thermostat turned down to kick in say 8 degrees or whatever you fancy.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2017  ·  #26
Quote by simplybikes

I would refill everything and leave the heater on at night with the thermostat turned down to kick in say 8 degrees or whatever you fancy.

My water pump and water heater are in the back garage which wouldn't really receive end of the space heating in the habitation area. Do you think that would be okay?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2017  ·  #27
Here a few of my thoughts on winter use of our MH. A tank of water usually last us for 4 days which means if we are heading out for only one night, we just fill it to 1/3. Anything more is wasted.
After the trip, I pull the drain taps under the fresh water tank and the water heater, leaving the sink taps open.
A dehumidifier is ran for a few hours to remove the moisture from breathing and cooking.
Afterwards the door is locked until the next trip.
We leave no heating on when parked up at home.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2017  ·  #28
This is my first winter as an owner. Bought myself a small (800W) oil fired radiator.

I've a thermometer inside to gauge the temperature.

Thermal blinds closed and front screens in place and on full pelt it only reached 5 degrees during a frosty night.

Second night I binned the oil filled radiator. I have the Motorhome on mains, so I ran the Trauma blow heater and am currently getting temp around 10 degrees.

Not withstanding running costs, can the heater sustain this all winter? Is 10 degrees or 5 degrees an appropriate temperature?

Water is drained so I'm just trying to stop damp and mould. So I've a few of the pound shop damp temps to catch the moisture.

What's the consensus, oil fired at 5 degree or run the van's own heater?

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2017  ·  #29
It would be the oil filled radiator for me.

bertie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.11.2017  ·  #30
I'd go with the oil filled rad too. It's a more gentle heat. Not too hot which can cause excessive condensation this time of year. Never a good thing.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.11.2017  ·  #31
It's only a tiny rad, I bought it especially for the Motorhome, but struggled to top 5 degrees on our first frosty night. I might need to use a bigger one to get the temp closer to 10.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2017  ·  #32
We normally drain the system in the winter by opening the dump valve at the heater and taking the bung out of the frest water tank. I leave the taps open and ensure the pump is switched off. Our van has a double floor and I leave a 300 watt tube heater in the double floor and leave the hatches open to circulate the heat in the habitation area. In our 14 years of ownership we have never had any damp or condensation problems. Over the years we have by mistake drained the water tank when the temperature went down and opened the valve whilst having the water pump switched on.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.12.2017  ·  #33
If anyone has bought a blow heater in Argos there is a safety recall......https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/product_recalls/argos-is-recalling-upright-fan-heater/

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Heater in winter

· 
Posted: 15.12.2017  ·  #34
Here are a couple of ideas for winter frost protection in your Motorhome/ Van.
Voche® 2ft Electric Tubular Greenhouse Tube Cylinder Heater Garage Conservatory. Ebay
Screwfix.ie have a range of Oil Filled Radiators for discounted prices .

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.