Bleedin' motorhomes, they should be banned off the roads.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Bleedin' motorhomes, they should be banned off the roads.

· 
Posted: 08.10.2017  ·  #1
Ya right, that thread title got your attention.

Seriously though, I was stuck behind a fellow motorhomer tootling along the R586 for about ten miles earlier today. I was just one of about 20 cars in the queue as it meandered along at about 60km/h behind 'our friend' as he passed plenty of places to pull in for a minute or less to let the queue go by.
So come on, have a look in the mirror from time to time, and if you see a queue of vehicles behind let them get by.
It's nice to tootle along admiring the scenery but spare a thought for those trying to make a delivery schedule or arrive at an appointment on time.
Don't reinforce the bad opinions some hold about us.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Bleedin' motorhomes, they should be banned off the roads.

· 
Posted: 09.10.2017  ·  #2
Not familiar with that road but I have pulled in to the hard shoulder to let traffic pass and when I needed to pull out was not allowed to by the traffic I was allowing to pass me they just sat beside me and I had to stop at the obstruction on the hard shoulder this has happened several times so I don't pull over anymore , I'm not sure but I think there may be penalty points involved for driving on the hard shoulder now too

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.10.2017  ·  #3
Quote by eirebus

Not familiar with that road but I have pulled in to the hard shoulder to let traffic pass and when I needed to pull out was not allowed to by the traffic I was allowing to pass me they just sat beside me and I had to stop at the obstruction on the hard shoulder this has happened several times so I don't pull over anymore , I'm not sure but I think there may be penalty points involved for driving on the hard shoulder now too

It is very tricky and this has happened to me as well where I let people pass by moving to the hard shoulder and then I'm not allowed to move back out, can get pretty dangerous to be honest.

It's indeed illegal to drive in the hard shoulder but I'm pretty sure that a copper will look the other way if you're letting traffic pass on a straight where you can see well ahead.

Having said that, while it is a nice touch we are not forced to do it at all... we have to remember that max speed is not mandatory speed, is just that... the MAX. No one can argue with you if you're doing 70 on a 80 zone and specially in this country where you'll come across tractors doing 30 and taking 2 lanes, don't think us going a bit slower than the max speed is going to be any issues.

Bottom line (for me) is: if it's 100% safe to move out, I'll absolutely do it. It's the nice thing to do, but we don't have to.

Cheers
Rami

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.10.2017  ·  #4
While it's nice and decent to pull over and let traffic go, the reality is there are very few spots to do so, with the exceptions of slow lanes. Where does someone find a spot on an average road that needs to 10- 12 metres long and wider than a motorhome without entering private property?
It is more dangerous to pull half off the road and occupy half of the traffic lane than not pulling over not at all.
There is no minimum speed limit on non motorways roads in this country, however the offical advice is to progress in a SAFE and reasonable manner.
Just because the guys behind were late leaving or whatever, frustration is their problem and it is them who need education.
With reference to the CPC module about eco driving, for every 20 km/hr speed rise, you fuel consumption increases by 12-15% but your distance travelled is often only half of the speed increase.
The roads are full of muppets who think that their vehicles should fly.
Malcolm

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.10.2017  ·  #5
It is legal to use the hard shoulder to allow traffic to overtake SEE HERE
There are also opportunities to let other vehicles overtake by keeping well in to the left at wide bits of the road.

Once the queue has passed it's usually easy to pull back out by indicating and smartly moving back onto the correct position, particularly if you haven't come to a complete stop.
Of course if you are in a queue caused by a vehicle up ahead why would you pull in, I'm only talking about the situation where you/we are the cause of the queue.

I know the speed limit is a limit not a target but creating a queue by driving at 60km/h in a 100km/h zone and ignoring opportunities to let it pass is taking the pi$$ in my book.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.10.2017  ·  #6
Quote by Thorn123

While it's nice and decent to pull over and let traffic go, the reality is there are very few spots to do so, with the exceptions of slow lanes. Where does someone find a spot on an average road that needs to 10- 12 metres long and wider than a motorhome without entering private property?
It is more dangerous to pull half off the road and occupy half of the traffic lane than not pulling over not at all.
There is no minimum speed limit on non motorways roads in this country, however the offical advice is to progress in a SAFE and reasonable manner.
Just because the guys behind were late leaving or whatever, frustration is their problem and it is them who need education.
With reference to the CPC module about eco driving, for every 20 km/hr speed rise, you fuel consumption increases by 12-15% but your distance travelled is often only half of the speed increase.
The roads are full of muppets who think that their vehicles should fly.
Malcolm

It's all about a bit of courtesy.
If I find a queue behind me perhaps there are people who left for an appointment on time and my behaviour may cause them to be late.
The queue might contain some working person trying to get his/her deliveries done efficiently to get home to the family.
If the truth be told non of us like being stuck behind some slow moving vehicle whose driver ignores opportunities to allow us pass.

Just because there are some farmers on tractors, JCB drivers and the like who don't give a fig doesn't mean we motorhomers should be content to be tarred with the same brush. We are after-all trying to promote ourselves as a responsible, valuable and eco friendly part of the country's tourism economy.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.10.2017  ·  #7
Quote by baguette

It is legal to use the hard shoulder to allow traffic to overtake SEE HERE
There are also opportunities to let other vehicles overtake by keeping well in to the left at wide bits of the road.

That quote is from the Theory Test, it's the RSA's version or "interpretation" or vision of how they would like to see us drive. It's not always backed up by written statute.

However there is an offense of "Driving without reasonable consideration for other road users" Section 51 RTA 1961 (ROI) which could cover a driver who drives without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the place.

Don't see much wrong with moving over onto the hard shoulder as long as it's clear and safe to do so.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.10.2017  ·  #8
I tend to straddle the line between the hard shoulder and the road when trying to allow vehicles to pass, this means that I am signaling that I have not given up my place on the road so tend not to have vehicles beside me for more than a second or two. However I must say I have not suffered from the situation that others have described. I generally find that I am travelling 50mph which is not slow enough to be criticised by other drivers and that I pull over if there are a few cars hoping to pass. I think if there was a long line of cars behind me then I would consider that to be the flow pattern and would assume that there were cars not too far ahead of me in lines of traffic. This being the case I would not ease over.

Similarly on single carriage way roads I monitor the level of traffic behind and endeavour to pull over and stop if l can but as stated spotting opportunities can be difficult. Then the size of the stop point is a factor too. If there is a B road ahead and I have clear vision into it I will sometimes pull over and stop as if it was a laybye but that needs to be judged carefully.

Davy

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.10.2017  ·  #9
When I drove a trucks for a living and before that did breakdowns with a jeep and car transport trailer ,I always kept an eye on the traffic behind and indicated left and pulled in tight to give them a chance to pass , the if I was running out of space , indicate right and pull back out. I still do the same when towing or in the van. in the car I am usually the one trying to drive at the posted limit.

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.10.2017  ·  #10
There is plenty of places on the R586 to allow people to pass, its not a particularly narrow road only near Drimoleague does it get a bit narrow but widens out again.
The problem with a lot of folks is they only think of themselves and can't appreciate what other peoples lives are like.
Especially in places like West Cork which are tourist heavy some think its OK to dawdle around at low speeds on main roads.
The roads are for everyone but that doesn't mean you should impede people if they want to travel at a speed they judge appropriate.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #11
Well, I think we kind of all agree that if there's room and if it's safe to do so, we'll move to let others pass.

It is absolutely the nice thing to do and it's about courtesy. But then again, in my opinion you can't force anyone to do what you want even if it's expected or you think that they should do something, courtesy can't be forced, and if whoever is in front of you doesn't move for whatever reason, the best thing to do is to take a step back, allow safe distance and pass whenever safe/possible.

Road rage is a very dangerous thing and possibly one of the main things that will cause an accident.

I, as a MH and motorbike user live with the two spectrum of speed capable vehicles. Love it when people move and allow a little bit extra room to let me pass on the bike but I will never force it, nor push to a unsafe situation. They don't have to move, but it's nice when they do.

I apply the same courtesy when on the MH, although she's actually pretty good at keeping speed limits (expect on inclines, of course), and even when traveling at speed limit, I'll move if I have the room because I know people get frustrated anyways about the idea of traveling behind a big vehicle (don't know exactly what it is), even when they pass you to later on go slower. But as I said above, I will not let anyone to force me to move when it is not safe, in the MH we have a far better vision ahead of any car and our 3 tons or more vehicles don't have the same response as cars, so we need to plan ahead appropriately.

And again... if you go at 80 or 120, you'll only be saving a few minutes, hardly anything above single digits.... so what's the rush?

Live and let iive as the song says...

Cheers,
Rami

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #12
I must say that I am always impressed when in the south by the number of people who acknowledge my easing in to the hard shoulder. The hazard light flash certainly is appreciated and encourages one to repeat the manoeuvre on other occasions.

The notable exceptions to this acknowledgement seem to be Northerners, who may not be familiar with the etiquette, and Dubliners. I don't know what that says about them. I shall let those of you who live in the south pontificate on the jackeens.

Davy

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #13
It is nice, kind and decent to pull over and release traffic but too often I see it happening that the passing car goes too soon before a proper gap has opened up. I will never criticise a slow moving driver be it a tractor, car, bus ,motorhome, or whatever.
What gets on my goat ,is the aggressive nature of some drivers, who think that driving with one headlight on the white line is acceptable.
As someone who over the last 20 years has completed driving tests up to the artic, a big part of driving training for hgv is reading the traffic ahead and managing the traffic behind as well. There are a number of techniques taught that are extremely useful in motorhome driving .
Alot of drivers can't cope been behind a large vehicle because firstly they are driving too close and secondly they feel blinded because they can't see too far ahead. This reaction leds them to crazy passing and putting everyone at risk.
Last Sunday we were on a L road with the MH, and a fool decided to pass us on a bend but because I was watching him on our rear camera, I was able to give him room to go. 2 miles up the road and I am the one in convoy behind him with another crazy fool behind me.
My last point on this thread is, the latest camera package fitted to trucks now consists of 6 cameras wired to the monitor and uploaded to satalite recording. There is one on each corner rear facing, one dash cam and lastly one mounted over the load body. The insurance companies are using these images for accident investigation.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #14
Bit of a generalisation there Davy, like saying women are bad drivers, which is not the case. Some women are bad drivers, most blokes are worse drivers.
As a Dub im well aware of the fact that there are plenty of gobshites out there, on bikes, in cars and motorhomes. I travel everyday on Rush back roads, on the m1 and the m50 to get to work on my bike, and i see the muppets up close.
I, like plenty of other Dubs, always pull in if Im slowing traffic, acknowledge when someone pulls over so i get through on my bike, and generally take the opinion that if im delayed, its not the end of the world. Not everyone does this, but that would be typical of most counties. And bear in mind, not everyone living in dublin or driving dub reg cars are actually from Dublin.
By the way, this is the listed definition of a jackeen. "A contemptuous designation for a self-assertive worthless fellow,"

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #15
Hi RobandSue,

Stereotypes are wonderful things. A bit like the motorhomer who parks badly and gets us all tarred with the same label. However I can only make observations on my experiences, and for whatever reason Dublin registrations seem to have come to the fore. The reference to the Jackeens is a gentle wind up, again there are many definitions on the meaning and origin of the word.

Davy

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #16
True Davy, and that was the kindest definition I found. Still, we will suffer on. O-)

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #17
Another observation!!

I generally 'flash' articulated lorrys and buses when they have overtaken me on dual carriageways and motorways, indicating that they are clear ahead of me and can move into my lane safely. The vast majority of them will acknowledge the courtesy by flicking their indicators. The one set of drivers who consistently do not make any recognition are Ulsterbus drivers. I have never had a single one flick an indicator. I have stopped flashing them in. It is almost like they are told/trained not to acknowledge the flash.

On a tangent I read that continental truckers do not use this signal and that flashing them in is not common. It is I think used more in its proper interpretation that it is a warning to others to alert them of your presence.

Davy

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #18
I'm from Dublin but my M/H is Cork registered so that could scupper that theory about the Dubs. Maybe most of the rentals are Dublin registered.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #19
actually, mine is galway reg :lol:

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #20
I do the same with lorries - generally very appreciative! And having recently moved, I couldn't believe that cars moved in to let me overtake them on the old n4 - resulting in safe passing and ample space for manoeuvre! Definitely a welcome change! In the MH i nearly never do more than 80kph and will move in when the road allows - but have been shunned before and nearly been stuck in hard shoulder which results in drivers getting my stubborn side for a while and lettin them figure it out themselves! Also my better half waves at anyone that overtakes us as we deem them 'friends' for how long they might have spent followin so close behind 😂

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #21
Could be worse I suppose. We could be slagging off Dublin registered BMWs or Audis!

Can't find them smiley faces in case anybody takes the rust!

Davy

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #22
Drivers drivers - bloody drivers

I cover 250 miles every day. I could write a book, as could most drivers, but why do drivers race up behind you and pass you breaking the speed limit and then 6 mile up the road at a junction you are the next vehicle behind them? Ok if you are moving slow, but when you are at or near the speed limit what is this mad desire to get in front?

Unless you are doing 40 - 50 MPH more than the car you just overtook, you will get there only seconds before the one you overtook, if you're lucky.

Slow the hell down, you will not get there any quicker, seriously! you will not!

(preaching to the converted, I know)

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #23
Quote by Davy

The one set of drivers who consistently do not make any recognition are Ulsterbus drivers. I have never had a single one flick an indicator. I have stopped flashing them in. It is almost like they are told/trained not to acknowledge the flash.

Davy

They all have rear view camera's, they don't need you to flash so probably are not looking in their mirrors to notice it.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #24
When I have five or more behind me I pull over. Unless the front one is an Audi or Beamer!

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #25
Quote by Davy

Could be worse I suppose. We could be slagging off Dublin registered BMWs or Audis!

Can't find them smiley faces in case anybody takes the rust!

Davy

no, they are fair game. Bunch of muppets , every one of them :'(

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #26
I always move over, when safe to do so, to let cars pass me and rarely get acknowledgement for it. Still do it though.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.