StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Dogs and travelling to France

· 
Posted: 07.10.2017  ·  #1
Rumours, chinese whispers and general confusion.
We have recently swapped our vets and when planning for our next crossing we decided to book our dog in for kennel cough vacinarion as we are going to put him in the ferry kennel rather than leave him in the MH this year. If you leave your pet in your vehicle you only get two 10 minute slots to walk him in an 18 hour crossing, where as in their kennels you can stroll him at your leisure.
Anyway we also made sure his pet passport was up to date, rabbies jab still valid etc and then we discussed comining back betwen 24 hours and 120 hours before we crossed for the worming pills to be told this is not a requirement going France only on the return. This is contrary to previous advice from the last vet. We have checked further and Stena have confirmed that tape worm pill is only a requirement when coming back from France to the UK and or Ireland.
Further checks have revealed there is no requirement to have the dog wormed when travelling to and from the UK and Ireland.
I hope this helps others when planning to travel with their pets.
Regards Jamie.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Dogs and travelling to France

· 
Posted: 07.10.2017  ·  #2
We are just back from France Jamie with 2 Jack Russels , dogs wormed both ways ( thats what we have always done ) we used the kennels on the way over but decided not to on the way back , there was alot of water sloshing around on the kennel floors and a few upset dogs constantly howling etc .. we left them in the van on the way back as they were in familiar surroundings and felt they were much happier there and they were , we got down for the 2 walks but in bad weather this may not be possible so check weather forcast first , in future they will be left in van they were definitly happier there

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.10.2017  ·  #3
Quote by eirebus

We are just back from France Jamie with 2 Jack Russels , dogs wormed both ways ( thats what we have always done ) we used the kennels on the way over but decided not to on the way back , there was alot of water sloshing around on the kennel floors and a few upset dogs constantly howling etc .. we left them in the van on the way back as they were in familiar surroundings and felt they were much happier there and they were , we got down for the 2 walks but in bad weather this may not be possible so check weather forcast first , in future they will be left in van they were definitly happier there

Yes previously always done the worming there and back but the vet we switched to told us not as it was not a requirement and we have checked this and confirmed the latest vet is correct.
Not convinced about kennels over own space in the MH but we thought we would try it once.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.10.2017  ·  #4
No harm to the dog to do a deworming (unless you do it too often), so I would play it safe and do it just in case.

Even if it's not a requirement, they might pick up something when traveling abroad, just like humans. The difference is that they can't tell you how they're feeling and they're pretty good at hiding it unless it's really, really bad.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #5
Quote by RTV

No harm to the dog to do a deworming (unless you do it too often), so I would play it safe and do it just in case.

Even if it's not a requirement, they might pick up something when traveling abroad, just like humans. The difference is that they can't tell you how they're feeling and they're pretty good at hiding it unless it's really, really bad.

I agree it can only be harmful on a dogs liver if you de worm to frequently.
But it's more about not needing to do it given that you read it should be 24 before travel at least and no more than 120 hours..
As we go on. Tuesday and arrive in France on a Wednesday and the Monday is a bank holiday it would have meant getting it done on Saturday which would have been difficult.
You get administer the worm pills yourself no need for a vet unless you are travelling back to the uk and Ireland from France or Spain and then a vets certification is a requirement.

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2017  ·  #6
While waiting in France to travel back on the Wednesday ferry, I got an email from Stena asking for details on my dog's pet passport. At the end of the email there is a reminder of the worming treatment required to allow re-entry to Ireland, see section below-:

Notes:
1. Please make your visit to the vet between 1 to 4 days maximun for the tapeworm vaccination secction 7 on the passport before arriving in cherbourg Port. (Signed, dated and stamped by the vet)

2. if you have questions call us at our Cherbourg office at the +33233432387.

Below you will find the Irish website for more information:

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/…toireland/

I always thought it was up to 5 days ( or 120 hrs ) to the time you checked for sailing, but apparently the 5 days refers to the date and time of arrival.

Don't get caught out!

niallandnikki
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2017  ·  #7
Quote by eirebus

Can you get to the van to let the dogs out during the crossing?

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2017  ·  #8
On Stena Rosslare to Cherbourg , you get down twice for approx 15 min each time. The visits are about 12 hours apart and you can get the dogs out to feed and walk them.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2017  ·  #9
and as I said in bad weather it may not be possible to get to the dogs

Robbie
Starline S680
My Motorhome: Hymer S680
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2017  ·  #10
We had pondered getting another dog but put the idea on hold. Between passports. Vets . Injections and €90 per return trip it was ramping up in costs.
We also had pondered leaving van in France or Spain for July and August and flying home but we coukd see any airlines that actually let us take pets.

Liked by: reflexsean

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.