First post

Feeling down

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

First post

· 
Posted: 02.10.2017  ·  #1
Hi all..well i did it ! I bought a lovely little camper :) all insured and kitted out I brought it out for first drive this evening. First time ever driving a van ( ford transit convert) and feeling all girl power until it broke down.

Unfortunately the tow company were one of those smart arses and his comments really ruined my day.

I looking at an expensive service now after the tax and insurance but most of all im freezing having been out in it.

Im struggling to remember why i wanted this so badly :(

Sorry for the down post...

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: First post

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #2
Unfortunate first trip for you ,did you use your insurance company for towing if so complain about attitude of recovery crew , have you got a CVRT cert for the van and all vans need to be serviced , don't give up ENJOY the new van

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #3
Hopefully you get it fixed and it's not too much wrong with it. Welcome to MHC!

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #4
sorry to hear you had a bad first outing! keep the chin up, nothing worth having comes easy ;)

aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #5
Hopefully an easy fix.

Definitely complain about the gobshite tow guy.

I know from experience that some mechanics/garages will try to rip off a woman so if you don't know enough about engines etc, bring someone that does.
(My kids nursery teacher was quoted €700 for work needed before a first NCT. The car passed with no work.)

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #6
Chin up, all will be OK.
Hopefully an inexpensive fix and you’re on the road soon making great memories.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #7
Sorry to hear that, hopefully you can have her back in the road in no time.

This is a great community so definitely let us know if there's something that we can help you with. Tell us what happened, what did you experience and maybe we can give you some pointers on what it could be, etc so if you have to go to the mechanic, at least you can have a general idea of what might be wrong.

Maybe even one of the lads can recommend a good and honest "van doctor" close to you :)

Once you get the van all patch up and you start traveling, then you'll remember why you got into them!! :D

Cheers,
Rami

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #8
awhhhhhhhh thanks guys !!! well Im over my little strop hahaha. Ah I was just all set, ya know and then it died ! The tow guy was saying "hope you kept the receipt" and things like that... which is kind of funny...but not at the time. I have a mechanic in my local village said he could take a look at it next week sometime .... kinda wanted it sorted by then ! Im in Dublin west

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #9
What exactly happened with it? Engine stop?

Where did you buy it from? Any contact with them?

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2017  ·  #10
Quote by killiand

What exactly happened with it? Engine stop?

Where did you buy it from? Any contact with them?

I bought it on adverts. they seemed lovely, receipts etc, service history, engineers report etc, DOE...it was driving and then it stopped. I remember i went to turn on the radio when it stopped so the tow guy said it could be the battery. its in for a service tomorrow anyway so preparing myself. Im ok with fixes and maintenance but obviously dreading them tell me its fatal or something really expensive wrong. it felt really rattley to drive ..... more than i expected. I drive a car normally so was expecting a van to be different but i feel it was TOO rattley ?? anyway tomorrow will tell !!!!! fingers crossed

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2017  ·  #11
Good luck hope it don't cost to much ,your not the first one this has happen to so chin up look forward to the great times your going to have ,don't forget we're all here to help if we can 👍

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2017  ·  #12
everyone is so lovely !!! I have to admit I was afraid of the remarks like - oh you didnt buy it from Adverts did you ?! or I told you so from my family so I havent even told my family its not working lol !!! I paid €91 for a jump start rather than ask them and wait for the smart remarks.... I just want to cut to me really enjoying it and keep this nasty business of fixing it to the forums :)

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

First post

· 
Posted: 04.10.2017  ·  #13
when your head is in the right place .have a look at what you have in the van and post them here,then you can get some hints as to how to go along in the future. like have you a leisure battery,toilet, shower, connection,cooker ,sink,outside 220v ?
For example.You have had a battery problem , have you got or can you fit a small charger into it , the 90quid would go along way in keeping the battery/battery's charged.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2017  ·  #14
Hey, welcome to the craic. Since buying the van, joining MHC is probably the next best thing you done. We were the same with ours, werent sure who to talk to when the van sat down. Great support here, so use it.
Also, if you need a jump start, dont go paying 90 euro, thats about 2 weekends away with the MHC crew. Buy a set of jump leads and keep them in the van.
Hope all goes well today, keep us updated.

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2017  ·  #15
thanks again lads. god yea, add jump leads to the list of things hahahahah its in for a service today .... its like the first day at school hahahah im looking at my phone, waiting for an update, almost said good bye to it at the garage hahaha the mechanic said there was a "poxy noise" coming from it, oh god. fingers crossed its not toooooo expensive. I take it during the months your not using it as much you take it out for a spin to keep it ticking over ?

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2017  ·  #16
definitely run it every weekend, even if its just around the block. I made the mistake of leaving it standing for a couple of months and the brakes seized. When i get mine back, (its currently in getting a lot done, not cheap but worth it), every weekend it will be on the road.
It will all be worth it once its sorted :up:

Robbo52
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Laika Ecovip 409
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.10.2017  ·  #17
Best of luck , hope it all works out ok for you.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2017  ·  #18
Hope it all worked out OK.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2017  ·  #19
Buy a A3 map of Ireland from a pound shop and stick it behind the kitchen door at home. Mark each destination that the camper has visited. After a crappy day, when you go home, close the kitchen door, and look at the camper destinations but more importantly plan new stops, fill in the blank areas on the map.
We have been doing this for 8 years with our kids, firstly with a caravan and then the last two years with a MH.
After easily 20,000 kms there is at least half of Ireland still to explore.
The motorhome parking app is brillant to plan new adventures.
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

First post

· 
Posted: 06.10.2017  ·  #20
I used to play a game with ours ,take out the map then they would pick a town ,and if I couldn't tell them where it was and how to get there ,then that was our next trip to go and find it.

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

update

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #21
Hey all, small update on the situation. I got a mechanic that I trusted to take a look a the van. He rang me and said the best thing I could do was sell it on or torch it. Said prob torch it as no one would buy it. So I was quite upset about this as with a camper van its about hopes and dreams and you are emotionally attached to it I feel. so Im walking around for a few days with the head down. I met a lad at the GAA training who said dont be mad, ford transit is common and bring it to his lad for a look. His lad threw the laptop on it last night and said fuel pump problem. which isnt great, but certainly fixable. I asked about price, needs a service and a few things and he said he will try to keep it under 600 ( i actually thought he was going to say 2k) Im sure when he is all done it will be more than 600 but its a ball park

I asked him why the other fella said its a "piece of sh*t" and he said, ah probably didnt want the job.

Im really annoyed. All he had to say was he was too busy and not have me thinking of selling for parts (I wouldn't torch it but it crossed my mind for a second ) and now Im thinking he told me to do something illegal and the second option was to sell the problem o to someone else... who wants his name so we can put him out of business !!!!!

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #22
Aaaaah... the good old mechanics, they'll never change.

Well, hopefully you can get the van back up and running soon. But always bear in mind that when buying 2nd hand old vehicles, it doesn't matter how well they have been taken care of, eventually something is going to go wrong.

In my case, my MH is 22 years young, previous owner took good care of her but it'll be foolish to think that I wont have to spend some money on her down the line, I did a lot of maintenance work already and kind of have a general idea of what would be next, but they can always surprise you.

Hope that you can get back on the road in no time.

Cheers,
Rami

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #23
I know.... and I dont mind at all spending money on it. I didnt spend a fortune on her in the first place so was prepared for eventualities but I just thought the day of mechanics taking advantage were gone really. guess not !

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #24
That poor form alright, about as useful as the commentary form the tow truck chap! Great to hear that for a reasonable sum you can be on the road and running again! And get to have your first trip out!

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #25
Quote by killiand

That poor form alright, about as useful as the commentary form the tow truck chap! Great to hear that for a reasonable sum you can be on the road and running again! And get to have your first trip out!

thats the plan :)

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #26
thats great news for you, I had the reverse. thought it was going to be a 700 euro repair, turned into 2k.
however, i think its money well spent and once over the initial shock i,m glad to have the work done by a capable outfit. My own mechanic was a pain in the arse, had it 6 weeks, got it back, failed the cvrt, failed the retest and then had to be towed to the cvrt centre in drogheda. Im more optimistic now the experts have it.
Hopefully we will see you at loads of craic meetings, festivals and get togethers. :up:
Best of luck with it.

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #27
awh Id just love to go to the rallies etc... he just rang me there fuel pump sources €350 and total job done for 600-700 .... happy days ( for now!)

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.10.2017  ·  #28
thats great news. just enjoyit, and if something else happens and your stuck somewhere, always remember you have breakdown recovery. And there are plenty of craicers all over the counrty will be more than willing to help if you are in their area. Theres a meet up at hollyween south in tipp i think, and north in dundalk. You should try and make either of them, get to meet the club.

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #29
Quote by ROBANDSUE

thats great news. just enjoyit, and if something else happens and your stuck somewhere, always remember you have breakdown recovery. And there are plenty of craicers all over the counrty will be more than willing to help if you are in their area. Theres a meet up at hollyween south in tipp i think, and north in dundalk. You should try and make either of them, get to meet the club.

I will deffo be looking into that ! sounds fun... ill be the one with the jump leads around my neck !!!!!!!!

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #30
there will probably be a few like that lol

glastry
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes-Benz hymer s550
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

foreign language

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #31
Quote by nightowl

awh Id just love to go to the rallies etc... he just rang me there fuel pump sources €350 and total job done for 600-700 .... happy days ( for now!)

what does fuel pump sources mean?
which ford engine -what year,what is going to be done for 600 to 700 ?
seems slack to me .
if you are going to advise someone to buy "jump" leads -at least tell them to buy "big" jump leads,
and if they do not know ,to find some one who can advise them?

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.10.2017  ·  #32
Don't worry, our first trip was France where we had a major blowout and spent 3 hours on the side of the autoroute... No fun ...

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #33
buy a big set of jump leads

nightowl
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #34
Quote by glastry

Quote by nightowl

seems slack to me .
if you are going to advise someone to buy "jump" leads -at least tell them to buy "big" jump leads,

he sourced a fuel pump for €350 and will fit it and do a service for 600-700€ total. this is my third quote. if its still not right or correct then Im out. this world of motoring isnt for me. I was happy with that quote. I hope it works out but Im not really interested in going from garage to garage. I have the motorhome....just waiting for the CRAIC now !!!!!!

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #35
Quote by nightowl

Quote by glastry

Quote by nightowl

seems slack to me .

he sourced a fuel pump for €350 and will fit it and do a service for 600-700€ total. this is my third quote. if its still not right or correct then Im out. this world of motoring isnt for me. I was happy with that quote. I hope it works out but Im not really interested in going from garage to garage. I have the motorhome....just waiting for the CRAIC now !!!!!!

well said. stay positive though

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.