Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

VRT refunds?

· 
Posted: 24.09.2017  ·  #1
Could VRT charges paid for taking cars into Ireland be refunded? An Irish MEP claims interest on those payments is due – and she explains why

https://www.donegalnow.com/new…ins/185593

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: VRT refunds?

· 
Posted: 24.09.2017  ·  #2
The Irish goverement, and in particular the revenue commissioners are a law unto themselves Ally.
They will pull strings, do cover ups and whatever underhand tactics they have to in order to keep their gravy train running.
I wouldn't hold up any hope of repayments from this type of regime ... and that's coming from someone who imported 300+ cars a year from the UK in years gone by.... in my reckoning illegal VRT and vat in the millions.

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.09.2017  ·  #3
The issue is not importing and paying VRT but the practice of requiring leased cars from NI/UK to pay VRT and be registered in the State.
The case has also forced the Revenue to reduce the amount they charged for an inspection before export from 500 to 100.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.09.2017  ·  #4
I think that the linked news article is flawed in relation to the last EU judgement.
My understanding of this judgment revolves around hired or lease vehicle from a company outside the Irish state.
Say in the morning, I decided to start a milk delivery service to households and I didn't want to tie up money in a van. Mu options are to hire one or lease one for a period of time. For argument sake the Irish hire rate is €200 per week but I can hire a van in Belfast for £100 per week. At the moment I cannot drive a northern reg vehicle in the Irish state because I don't have a northern residential address, and this part of the law was brought in to stop the eastern europeans driving their home registered cars here.
The point of law that the Irish Government was found to be in breach, is that the hire/lease companies from outside the Irish state couldn't compete in the Irish market since the vrt tax made the business plan lost making.
There was another case with vrt and the EU court that the irish government lost about 10 years ago and resulted in compensation been paid. This case centred around crew cab van and jeeps used for business purposes. Orginally these vehicles were classified as luxury items and could be only registered and taxed as private. The case was won because it discriminated against business who by there nature are commercial, eg, a builder bring 4 workers onto site. The private tax at that time for 7 seater Landcruiser was about €1200 while commercial tax was €330. The judgment was backdated which lead to a significant expense for the government.
For the forementioned mep to be quoted as to imply that millions is due to the Irish public is disingenuous because it is out of state companies who suffer under this judgment.
The Irish Government is giving a budget in the next 3/4 weeks, so this judgment will be considered and a new system will be deployed to hide the heinous vrt tax.
Malcolm

Bounder
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.09.2017  ·  #5
The really draconian part of the legislation is where it is illegal for an Irish resident to drive a foreign registered vehicle here.
That must be unconstitutional but would probably need a test case.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2017  ·  #6
VRT is THE ONLY tax anywhere where the liability is unknown BEFORE the purchase transaction is completed, AND is calculated not on the actual purchase price but on a notional value of the item purchased.
Such a mechanism MUST be illegal and against all sorts of human rights, and internationally accepted taxation/accounting standards.

Imagine if Stamp Duty or other taxes were levied in the same way.

Rant over >_<

Liked by: hector2015

Bounder
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2017  ·  #7
Yes, I agree with the VRT regarding motorhomes, for cars and bikes its pretty simple really an easy calculation on their website.
But motorhomes are basically a lottery.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2017  ·  #8
Quote by Bounder

Yes, I agree with the VRT regarding motorhomes, for cars and bikes its pretty simple really an easy calculation on their website.

Agree whole heartily. You can import a truck worth 100k and its vrt is something like 400 or 500 euro.

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2017  ·  #9
Quote by Bounder

It can be a lottery for cars to - a family member VRT'd a UK car last month and because it was the first ever model of its kind, it had to be "referred" and there was a potential variance of 1400 Euros on top of the many thousands quoted for a similar model. The final toll was not as bad as predicted but VRT is a shambles rip off tax.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.09.2017  ·  #10
Quote by Bounder

Not so.
My old steed, a Volvo S40 D Sport 115BHP 4DR according to the VRT calculator is quoted as having an OMSP of €2000 and a VRT of €460.
It's for sale to the first eejit who would part with €2000.
In fact I'd let it go for a grand or there about, that is if I was selling it, but I'm not, so no silly offers :-)

Bounder
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.10.2017  ·  #11
You can appeal the VRT though, just get 3 similar cars and send it at the same time to Revenue in Rosslare.
On a related note the huge amount of second hand cars that will be on the market in the next year or two is going to massively depress prices of cars. They will have to adjust the VRT rate accordingly.
I'm no fan of VRT , just paid a hefty lump myself with my 'van, but I couldn't appeal as I had no similar vans to compare it to.

RobbieVW
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2017  ·  #12
Hi all,

Quick question. My Uncles old camper wasn't up to much and it was time for a change. He always fancied a converted Hiace so I found one for us to convert. He previously converted his Urvan and wanted simular. I bought an ex HSE Ambulance bus because I was under the impression that there would be no VRT on a bus but there would be on a van converted. We converted the bus to a nice two birth with medium high roof. We had it certified by an engineer and sent in all the required paperwork.

Unfortunity my uncle has gotten a bill from revenue for VRT. This is a 2001 bus and it was a good but functional conversion and we had a budget. I have spoken to the engineer and he reckons its the way it was register originally as a commercial bus. Has anyone any experience of this and had any success in sorting it out?

Seems very unfair. As they send a very demanding letter looking for it paid within 7 days or they with hold the paperwork.

cowboy70
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Elddis encore 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducat 2.3/ 9 speed auto 140bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2017  ·  #13
Unfortunately you still have to pay I had to pay 1500 for my old camper van I converted. It's the change of use for xxx to campervan . It doesn't mater if it was a bus ,car, ambulance, or van .it's just another form of tax

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.10.2017  ·  #14
Quote by JJF

The Irish goverement, and in particular the revenue commissioners are a law unto themselves Ally.
They will pull strings, do cover ups and whatever underhand tactics they have to in order to keep their gravy train running.
I wouldn't hold up any hope of repayments from this type of regime ... and that's coming from someone who imported 300+ cars a year from the UK in years gone by.... in my reckoning illegal VRT and vat in the millions.

Sounds like a good earned so the chances of a review are probably nil

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.