joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Bike carrier and ferry

· 
Posted: 08.09.2017  ·  #1
Off the France in a few days, Rosslare to Cherbourg on Irish Ferries. We have a bike carrier on our towbar and I am slightly concerned that there might be an issue with it 'grounding' as we go on and off the ferry using the sometimes quite the steep ramp. Attached photo of the bike carrier. It is 35 cm off the ground and about 270 cm back from the rear wheels. We also have a camera under the towbar (protected in a metal box) and this sometimes cause issues on steep inclines. Just wondering if anybody else has a similar bike carrier and used this ferry route. Thanks
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Bike carrier and ferry

· 
Posted: 08.09.2017  ·  #2
Check your sailing times and the tide chart,the higher the tide the steeper the ramp. Also if you have air bags on the rear,then you could carry an inflator and pump them up to max,this will give you more clearance. Then correct them after .

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2017  ·  #3
Thanks. Don't have airbags so that's out. Not sure what to do about tides as we are stuck with the ferries we booked. But it looks like high tide is just over one hour after we depart Rosslare and mid tide at Cherbourg when we arrive. And low tide on the return at Cherbourg). Wonder if there is any way to calculate the slope on the ramp and if this

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2017  ·  #4
Drive off very slowly no Matter what the crew are instructing you to do. If you think it is too steep ask the to put mats out.
I always take my time coming off and this year the Motorhome in front of us caught his scooter rack on the ramp. It took 25 minutes before it was cleared.

You will get off but go slow.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2017  ·  #5
Also try and approach the ramp at a slight angle instead of straight on as this can help by keeping some wheels higher than others, increasing clearance.

joeirish
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2017  ·  #6
Thanks for the replies. So I've decided that if the slope on the ramp is too steep I'll just take the bikes and carrier off. I'll put the carrier in the van and wheel the bikes onto the ferry and off at the other end. I've rigged up a sacrificial yoke which is basically a piece of drainpipe which I will attach with cable ties to the underside of the carrier while we are in the car park. If this starts to get damaged then I'll just stop and remove the carrier and bikes. Better that damaging the new carrier at the start of the holidays.

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2017  ·  #7
In the last week we have been on Valentina Island ferry and I remembered someone mentioned ramp, a bit of bump coming off, bent back bar a little.
Then we were on Killimer/ Tarbert ferry, It was suggested we came off it at an angle. I know these ferries much smaller.

If you haven't been on these ferries in Ireland:
Valentina Island can go by bridge at Portmagee (Kerry) or ferry from Cahirsiveen to Knighstown...cost €7
Killimer /Tarbert ferry costs €21 in MH (10% less if you do on-line).

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2017  ·  #8
Joe, if you type in "Time and Tides in Cherbourg" in google search you will get your date and times. The idea of going at an angle on reaching the bottom of the ramp is spot on, also you can tell the Loadmaster who is usually at the ramp, of your fears and ask him to guide you out. and he can adjust the angle to help you.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Bike carrier and ferry

· 
Posted: 09.09.2017  ·  #9
I have an ELW Sprinter with a tow bar and I am always dragging the ground , so as a rule I always zigzag off the ramps and over the lumps Councils put in the road's

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.09.2017  ·  #10
Check in nice and early and ask to be accessed while in the loading lanes. There is usually a guy there checking heights and lenghts. An example would be a car going onto the car deck but has bikes on the roof rack. He will tell the driver to lay the bikes flat in order to fit. He also checks for length, ie a 8m long MH booked in as 6m long.
His job is to check all vehicles in order to ensure a smooth loading with no holdups.
Recently when coming back through Cherbourg, an irish car and caravan had to remove the jockey wheel since the car was so overloaded
This was with Irish ferries.
Enjoy your trip.
Malcolm

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.09.2017  ·  #11
I came over 2 weeks ago and you don't need to worry as enters and exit was almost completely level. Full marks to Irish Ferries and I was towing a long trailer.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2017  ·  #12
If you put the rack

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.09.2017  ·  #13
If you book Stena their pricing range is if I remember right, up to 6m and up to 10m so not a saving unless you are very short or going into artic lorry lengths :lol:

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.09.2017  ·  #14
Quote by the fat controller

If you book Stena their pricing range is if I remember right, up to 6m and up to 10m so not a saving unless you are very short or going into artic lorry lengths :lol:

I think Brittany Ferries charge extra for a Bike Rack if I remember right, it has been a few years since we traveled with them.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.