Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

eBay backup camera

· 
Posted: 05.09.2017  ·  #1
An impulse buy on eBay last Saturday night.
(yes there was alcohol involved) 😂

For €45 I figured it'd be worth a punt. I went for the dual camera set up. I want to mount one of the cameras on the back as normal but I might mount t'other on the offside front, facing forward. I figured it might be handy for maneuvering OR it might be useful for on-road overtaking in our LHD vehicle if the image quality is anyway decent. Not sure of the legality of this, but I'm sure someone will set me straight if 'tis not permitted!

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: eBay backup camera

· 
Posted: 05.09.2017  ·  #2
Quote by Blag

Oh the things I have bought.................... :D

Camera looks good.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2017  ·  #3
Oooohhhh.... the things I buy while Jamie whiskey is involved !
See the postman arriving and I say 'WTF did I buy last evening'.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2017  ·  #4
Insurance companies have started to offer discounts to truck if they mounted front cameras on the cab pillar and record the images as a way to reduce insurance claims. I changed our camera system this year on our MH but it was €80 extra for recording, so I didn't bother.

manta356
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.09.2017  ·  #5
[quote="Blag"]
An impulse buy on eBay last Saturday night.

Someone Once Told Me that eBay was more Dangerous than Unprotected Sex......LoL

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.09.2017  ·  #6
Nice, share a few pics of the installation if you can. It's definitely something that I'll be looking at in the future but I found the wiring to be a bit scary as you have to go through the whole length of the MH... will you route the cables underneath or through the cabin?

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.09.2017  ·  #7
Quote by RTV
will you route the cables underneath or through the cabin?

I'm not sure yet. There is a flexible conduit running from front to back underneath the chassis. I might use that to feed the wires through.
I am planning to replace the ceiling shortly, so it might be easier to run wires through the ceiling joists before re-sheeting it..
not sure yet.
id rather avoid fishing wires through the cabinets and all the way to the back. That sounds like a pain.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.09.2017  ·  #8
I've bought the same kit. Only installed the rear (single) camera so far. Very handy for reversing but more and more I'm using it when changing lanes on dual carriageways / motorways, Image quality not great at night but it's a lot better than reversing by ear

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.09.2017  ·  #9
If you are going to route wires in the chassis, place your levelers under the wheels on the side that you wish to crawl under. The few extra inches of ground clearance will make the job easier.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2017  ·  #10
Quote by Blag

Quote by RTV
will you route the cables underneath or through the cabin?

I'm not sure yet. There is a flexible conduit running from front to back underneath the chassis. I might use that to feed the wires through.
I am planning to replace the ceiling shortly, so it might be easier to run wires through the ceiling joists before re-sheeting it..
not sure yet.
id rather avoid fishing wires through the cabinets and all the way to the back. That sounds like a pain.

Oh yeah, going through all the cabinets would be a nightmare for sure. I'll probably get one of these in the near future and I'll probably go underneath and come in through the firewall. Probably mount it above the reg plate.

Let us know how it goes, I'll be interested on seeing your progress.

Cheers,
Rami

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2017  ·  #11
Quote by RTV

Oh yeah, going through all the cabinets would be a nightmare for sure. I'll probably get one of these in the near future and I'll probably go underneath and come in through the firewall. Probably mount it above the reg plate. Let us know how it goes, I'll be interested on seeing your progress.
Cheers,
Rami

Well, things didn't start out so well!

The kit arrived yesterday (fast delivery) but when I set it up on my bench last night, I noticed one of the cameras wasn't happy. It showed signs of 'ghosting' and the odd flicker of green lines on the LCD display:

So I contacted the supplier. They were very apologetic and agreed to send out a new camera straight away. So I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

In terms of the rest of the equipment, I'm impressed so far. The finish of the plastic bezel on the display housing has a nice satin texture, not at all cheap and tacky as some might expect. The cameras are powder coated aluminium and seem to be well made (well... except for one :happy: )
The colour and contrast of the video image is good. Short and long range image clarity is good and the refresh rate is good. Low light conditions are OK but not great as mentioned earlier by Eamonn.

The horizontal viewing angle of the LCD monitor is very good. But the offside vertical viewing angle isn't great.
I still need to see if I can put it in the location I want it. I was thinking of mounting it down low on my centre console, but I'm not sure I'll be able to see it if I mount it down there. The monitor is best viewed head on (100%) so up on the dashboard and facing the driver would be the optimum location... But for me, I'd rather have it out of the way. I dont really want 'high tech' gear to be visible on my oul camper...

When the replacement camera arrives, I'll give the kit a more long term bench test over a period of a couple of weeks before I consider installing it permanently in the camper.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2017  ·  #12
just in case anyone is looking at fitting camera, I bough a wireless camera from ebay that sends pics to android device through a free to use app that uses no data.

I have used it a lot this summer on our 5 week trip to spain and it was great. It cost only around 25£ and the app was a free download. I have wired the camera and sender device to my side light with the sender screwed underneath rear of van so that I can have the transmitter powered as long as side lights are on. So If I want rearview when reversing I just hit the app button and get (almost) instant image. If I want permanent rearview I just leave app on. I have the 7inch Samsung tablet mounted on a holder up front, which also allows easy dismount for security when locking up. To be honest the picture quality is better than the waeco unit that I binned (couldn't be fixed economically after failure of camera) and the app has the angled lines to help guide...I haven't bumped into anything yet!! A very economical option and very very easy to fit...I couldn't face any major carpentry carnage so does the job for me.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.09.2017  ·  #13
Quote by Hymer544

just in case anyone is looking at fitting camera, I bough a wireless camera from ebay that sends pics to android device through a free to use app that uses no data.

I have used it a lot this summer on our 5 week trip to spain and it was great. It cost only around 25£ and the app was a free download. I have wired the camera and sender device to my side light with the sender screwed underneath rear of van so that I can have the transmitter powered as long as side lights are on. So If I want rearview when reversing I just hit the app button and get (almost) instant image. If I want permanent rearview I just leave app on. I have the 7inch Samsung tablet mounted on a holder up front, which also allows easy dismount for security when locking up. To be honest the picture quality is better than the waeco unit that I binned (couldn't be fixed economically after failure of camera) and the app has the angled lines to help guide...I haven't bumped into anything yet!! A very economical option and very very easy to fit...I couldn't face any major carpentry carnage so does the job for me.

Kevin have you alink for the camera. ebay that is.

Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.09.2017  ·  #14
RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2017  ·  #15
Myself, I ended up buying a wireless one. Super cheap on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pr…UTF8&psc=1

Does the job just fine and very handy to install. Wired the camera up to the reversing light and up on front I hooked it up to the switched power as I couldn't find an easy way to connect to the reverse up on front. Added a little switch to have the screen off when not in use and that's it.

I was surprise on how quick the connection between the camera and the monitor actually is, really has no delay whatsover once I put it on reverse. Decent quality, comparable to VW OEM cameras for example.

For the price, no complaints at all.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.