Sat nav advice

Daffysparks

Subject:

Sat nav advice

· 
Posted: 02.09.2017  ·  #1
Has anyone any experience with the camper version of sat nav Preferably garmin as that's what I'm used to. The one I have was faultless in France and Germany, but met its match in Donegal and Galway. Tried bringing me down every L road it could find. I might be imagining it, but I think she was getting quite irritated with me when I didnt😂
I don't mind spending the money if it works reasonably well but don't want to waste almost €400 on an ornament
Thanks
Dave

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Sat nav advice

· 
Posted: 02.09.2017  ·  #2
Been a few discussion on the site. From my own experience, they are very unreliable, I have a Gamin Dezl truck/motorhome SatNav and the roads it has taken me down have been crazy. Now use it a s a guide only and regularly tell it to **** off.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2017  ·  #3
That's what I was afraid of. Hardly seems worth it then

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2017  ·  #4
In work the last few weeks I have been trying different routes.

I used an inbuilt Satnav which took me one way, my own Garmin Satnav which took me another way and Google maps which again went another way.

Which was best......... hmmm I think the google Maps.

All set for fastest route, so I think someone is telling us lies.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2017  ·  #5
I'd have to agree with you there. When garmin went dolally in Donegal, google maps worked much better. Maybe google should bring out a sat nav as it does drain phone battery

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2017  ·  #6
Plug it in? :/

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.09.2017  ·  #7
Aye. Though done that with iPhone 6 in France a couple of years ago and it got very hot. Nervous of doing it since. New iPhone a lot dearer than a sat nav💰

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.09.2017  ·  #8
I know some like them and others hate them but the Nozatec satnav which costs roughly £40 allows dimensions to be input and it has got me to Spain and back a couple of times now without any issues of unsuitable roads. During those trips we also used google on iPhone as a back up and confirmation tool.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.09.2017  ·  #9
After doing the bones of 800 miles in france last month, the co-pilot opted to use google maps instead of the map, because it highlighted attractions and places of interest while enroute. The results was largely positive, especially on a spaghetti motorway junction and navigating town centres.
However arrival times need to be adjusted by 20%, since a MH is about 20% slower than a car. The google maps also throw a curve ball on some occasions.
We were travelling from Saumur towards Tours along the Loire river when google maps directed over the Montsoreau bridge. The best way to describe the bridge is to compare it to a 18th century rail bridge made out of 3 inch angle iron and the road lanes were just 8 foot wide. The bridge lenght was 1 km. I had no option but to go for it while my dear co-pilot highlighting the amount of broken glass on the road. I was half a stone lighter at the other side. Fffff google maps.
Google maps also failed us by directing us onto 3500 kg limited roads in france of which they are lots. While our MH is rated under 3500kg, it can be debatable at times as to what our weight is because some people in our household see the 3500kg limit as a target to exceed.
I am keeping an eye on this thread because if going to Europe again, I feel the need to aquire some sort of a sat nav that allows for MH size and weighs
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.09.2017  ·  #10
That seem the recurring theme with them all doesn't it. Good for most of the time but can turn into a nightmare without warning. I was hoping that the Motorhome one would be better but not much positive feedback yet

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.09.2017  ·  #11
I have contacted a mate of mine who runs a truck haulage business on the merits of a LGV/HGV sat nav. He is checking out which model is better but he reckons that truck type sat nav have an annual charge on the map uploads since road routes for trucks change each year. Currently my mates haulage business is moving from predetermined routes to one of fexible route planning within Dublin. I will be talking to him in a few weeks and I'll find out which sat nav works for him.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.