Hymer544
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: VW Crafter
Base Vehicle: VW Crafter 2.5tdi
Subject:

sliding window replacement

· 
Posted: 24.08.2017  ·  #1
Has anyone ever taken the window inserts out of sliding window?
I have one cracked panel (the non sliding side) and have been quoted over 6oo euro for replacement!!!
So I intend to remove cracked panel and replace with a polycarbonate sandwich which I will get cut. I just need to know has anyone taken one apart before? If so is the aluminium guide at the bottom simply glued to the frame and as such needs prized off to release the plastic?
Any tips from experience welcomed.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: sliding window replacement

· 
Posted: 24.08.2017  ·  #2
Having worked on the old coachbuilt Furniture vans ,they had a sliding widow which was in ali frame
with a felt bed to run on. these could be replaced by using a piece of perspex similar to what the bus companies used, or a piece of safety glass from a glass company with the edges polished if it was the sliding one. You will need the one open side polished if it is the closed section. I would pop in to a local coachbuilder who could give you advice as they still use these in exhibition bodies. If you have any exposed timbers for repolishing, sand down and then bleach to remove any blackened bits ,then vanished. Great for restoring Morris 1000 travelers too.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.08.2017  ·  #3
Glass for tractors is a worthwhile consideration as there are quite a number of companies that will cut to order and polish the edges. Most of the tractor cabs pre 1990 had sliding side windows on alloy rails.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.08.2017  ·  #4
Have removed them from classic cars, mainly Minis, MK1 & MK2. From memory the aluminium rail was rivoted to the door and the slider was fixed perhaps with adhesive.

Not sure that helps but I remember them being a bas&**D to replace with new sliders, the new sliders were not original stock though and it was common for things to be just not quite the right size.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.08.2017  ·  #5
Forgot to say that when you lift the felt runner bed there should be screws below, If you let me know the sizes and thickness I may have a piece of Perspex.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.