"Restricted/Dangerous" dog breeds in france...

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

"Restricted/Dangerous" dog breeds in france...

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #1
hey everyone.. was researching ferries, routes, costs and kennels from ireland to france and came across a mention of "restricted breeds" not being allowed in france, unless they're pedigree?

our lady is a pitbull x staffy, and from what I'm reading, passport or no passport, she wouldn't be allowed in!? has anyone brought a "dangerous" dog over?

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

Re: "Restricted/Dangerous" dog breeds in france...

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #2
What breed is written on her passport? Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not on the list of banned dogs, Pitbulls are though.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #3
killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #4
Pit bull on the passport! but she's been behaviour tested in the uk and has her tattoo etc.! But that doesn't seem to make any difference there!

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #5
Well, If you sail with Brittany Ferries you will have passport checks for your dog. Interesting that Fat Controller had no checks, When we travelled to Cherbourg in 2015 via Channel Tunnel we were not checked, just made to turn gas bottle off and waved on.... I would call the Ferry Company you intend travelling with and get a definitive answer....Hope it works out for you and your doggie...

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #6
Who would know if she is a pedigree or not? Especially if the passport only states pit bull.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #7
We went Dublin/Holyhead no check either way, Folkestone/Calais tunnel, no check even though we paid for the dog then the return Calais to Dover check consisted of handing docs to the ticket booth him handing the scanner to me to scan the dog then on to the boat. We did all the vet bits for the return in Spain the day before we set off on the return journey. To be honest we felt cheated having to pay for the dog on the tunnel and no one even asked about her.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #8
Who'd know pedigree or not... - excellent point... And with that and the seeming lack of general checks... Probably not gonna be a problem!

Although with my luck - the national canine genetic analyst of France would be on border patrol that day 😂 Food for thought all of the above... Thing is that the risk is the full whack of two ferries with cabs and dog if we're refused anywhere 😬

Peter Koster
Craic'er
Homepage: hurktoilet.nl/inde…
My Motorhome: Pössl 2Win
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #9
Millie Mouse
My Motorhome: Hobby 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2017  ·  #10
I think even if you did get her into France, you will find very few campsites who will accept either Staffie or Pitbull breeds. My sister-in-law traveled Brittany Ferries once taking their Rottie and at the terminal check in staff insisted she was muzzled and advised that she stay that way for the whole stay in France. They couldn't book campsites either and were refused admittance at two aires. They didn't take her again, said it wasn't worth the hassle and she hated the muzzle. It's strange though that 'Pitbull' is on her passport as this is a banned breed in UK too, whereas Staffies are not. I do love bull terries and think they get unfair press and suffer from a bad image due to bad ownership. I volunteer with animal rescue and rehabilitation and see lots of Staffies, all darlings.

Incidentally, we have traveled with 3 or 4 dogs to France since the Pet Passport scheme was introduced. We have the dogs pictures on their passports (although this is not a requirement,) but to be honest we could walk into the Eurotunnel check in area at Calais each year with 4 Yaks on leads for all the attention they pay the dogs, they even hand us the scanner to scan them - it's all about the paperwork, and the money of course - £15 per dog each way I agree is a bit steep.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2017  ·  #11
Cheers Millie,

Awh they're gorgeous, she's from dogs trust and they transported her from the UK after behaviour testing and getting stamped, to be re-homed in Ireland rather than being put down over there!! It's absolutely the owners... There isn't an ounce of malice... But the archaic nature of the law and general perception could be a real pain in the backside!!

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2017  ·  #12
There seems to be conflicting info on various sites regarding Staffordshire Bull Terriers ..... From the website below...

https://uk.ambafrance.org/Frequently-asked-questions,17660

Staffordshire bull terriers are not on the list of dangerous dogs in France. An answer to a Parliamentary question put to the Ministère de l’Intérieur (Home Office), published in the Official Journal dated 5 February 2001 (page 774), confirms the amendment to the list published in the decree of 27 April 1999, and excludes Staffordshire bull terriers from the said list.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.