Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

Question re French Aires

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #1
2 more sleeps until the first outing to France with our motorhome.
We are staying a week on a site in Brittany before moving to another site in the Loire for a week.

The plan for the last day is to head up to find an aire near Cherbourg as our sailing is at 3pm next day.

I've never stayed in an aire in France and am a tad worried we might not get in anywhere. To make things worse, I am towing a small car behind us which might make the combination too long for most places.

Any advice or reassurance most welcome. Better still, anyone got any recommendations of where to stay?

As stated, ferry not till 3pm, so I don't have to be on the doorstep of Cherbourg although the wife is equally happy to stay there and do some shopping if there is a good spot in Cherbourg.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Question re French Aires

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #2
Le Mont-Saint-Michel ,go the day before park up ,go visit for the Le Mont on the link bus for the afternoon/evening ,grub up , next morning leisurely drive to the port .

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Re: Question re French Aires

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #3
Quote by sprinter

Le Mont-Saint-Michel ,go the day before park up ,go visit for the Le Mont on the link bus for the afternoon/evening ,grub up , next morning leisurely drive to the port .

Yes this is a very good Aires we stayed there ourselves this year and always plenty of room, two hours will take you to Cherbourg from here.

Peter Koster
Craic'er
Homepage: hurktoilet.nl/inde…
My Motorhome: Pössl 2Win
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #4
You shouldn't worry. France has lots of aires, most of them free, being mixed parkings with lots of space. Use Campercontact.com to find them, this site even tells you max length. Further more, like in Ireland, you're allowed to sleep anywhere you're allowed to park. Use Park4night.com to find good wild places.
Cherbourg has a free aire next to the harbour (Allee du President Menut), 1 km from the city center, but this one may be crowded

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #5
We've stayed a few hours in Cherbourg, right on the canal.... parking wasn't a problem and were 7.2 metres.
Good shopping centre there, nice enough town to spend a few hours in.
Ferry is a 10 minute drive from where we park.
Right beside the carrefour supermarket at the canal.
The night before we spend on one if the places on the west coast of the pensinula .....

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #6
There's a great Aire at Briquebec that's only about half an hour away from Cherbourg just off the D900. We usually stay there the day before our ferry. It's on a wee lake you can have a nice stroll around - there's a toilet and electricity and water that you can pay for if needed (used to be free but they changed it last year). The village isn't far away, well within walking distance with 2 supermarches and the usual boulangerie and shops - lovely wee medieval village to walk around with a small chateau and places to eat.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #7
I'd never heard of Le Mont Saint Michel before and was blown away when I googled it just now.

Many thanks, it is now a very possible overnight. I just need to find where the aire is and hopefully there is somewhere for me and the trailer.

Peter, I will look into those two recommended websites.

As stated, this is our first venture and we have opted for 2 weeks on Castels campsites. But I've booked again for a trip at the end of October during kids mid-term break and hope to be a litttle more relaxed and just let things flow during that trip..... I love the idea of aires, but will definately be watching out to try to get my head round how it actually works. I just need to understand that there are places where the local authorities and people actually cater for motorhomes.

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #8
Spatuladad, Briquebec added to my list for October...

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #9
Stephen,have a look on google maps for aires de campig car de Beauvoir,mont saint michel,its a very large aires so should be no problem with a trailer,Also in Beauvoir there is camping aux pomiers which is an excellent campsite and plenty of room for your trailer also,its a handy cycle up to the mont from here,the camper carpark just down from the mont can be quite expensive to overnight at .

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.08.2017  ·  #10
Check the searchforsites.co.uk website. Put in roughly where you want to go and it will throw up everything from Aires to sites, to municiple sites, service points, farm camping etc and is useful since it carries reviews by motorhomers for lots of them.

Regarding your car on a trailer plus Motorhome, don't be put off by arriving at an Aire and finding it full. There will be another not too far away ( often the next village) however if you avoid the honeypot Aires and opt for the ones slightly further inland then space is more likely to be available for the ensemble.

Many Aires can be a bit tight for space, i.e. The vans are only feet away from each other. It might be a sensible approach to walk in and assess the space you need before driving in and finding that you need to reverse out! Watch the French curtains twitch if they sense a bit of entertainment.

May I suggest the following Aires, both fairly close to cherbourg. Isigny sur mer. Right on a river bank. Small Aire, no charge, but loads of accepted parking on the grass and car parking area beside it. We used it about two weeks ago. Free Service point and a supermarket nearby. Handy to the normandy beaches if you have time to spare and having the car makes choice of Aire easier than us mortals who have to walk or cycle when parking is difficult.

St mere eglise. Not strictly an Aire as it has no service point. €8 per night and €2 for all day parking. Large flat grass area, literally yards from the airborne museum. Service points out side the campsite nearby and also at the super U (supermarket) on the other side of the village

Once you have tried Aires you won't want to camp, unless you have kids who need pools etc.

Have a good trip.

Davy

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #11
You can park in the Mt St Michel carpark for about e17 for 24 hrs but no facilities , free bus to Le mont , check it on Google , also check Citi De LA Mer in Cherbourg itself

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #12
Petie, thanks for putting me at ease ref the trailer...

Davy, I'm blown away with your knowledge and experience.

Eirebus, I do think I will finish this trip with a stop at Mont St Michel, just for the WOW factor.

Most of this info will be used for my second trip later this year when I WILL be using only aires or wildcamping...

I'm amazed at the knowledge and support from the members here.

I am an avid motorcycle traveller and earlier this year I rode 3 weeks in Thailand and Vietnam with only the first night's accommodation booked.. Winged it the rest of the time without any major problems. Yet this one night stop in France has me up to high dough simply because of fact that the vehicle is quite large by Irish standards..... As I said earlier, I just got to wake up to the fact that Frence authorities and locals actually cater for motorhomes.

Much as I am looking forward to this week's trip, I'm now actually preferring the later trip as it will be a bit more of an adventure now I am armed with all this info for Brittany and Normandy. :-)

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #13
rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #14
JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #15
Mt St Michael is a stunning place, albeit the actual place itself is indeed very much a tourist trap, but saying that it is a must see when you're there.
The aire is about 2 mile from the island, the campsite across the way is very good and they run a free shuttle bus up to the pick-up point that takes you straight to the island.
See our trip here, near the last few entries :

French trip - Blog

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #16
Look up Orador Sur Glane near Limoges for your Oct trip

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #17
Yeah it's a very moving place and well worth a visit. There is a great Aire in the new village.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #18
We stayed 2 nights in Camping du Mont Saint Michel at the end of June at €30 per night for two adults and three kids. The free Navette bus departs for the island a couple of minutes walk from the campsite. You have to phone the campsite on arrival to get the code to raise the barrier, I think they charge a little for every time you come and go but we were just once in and once out.

They actively discouraged anyone sleeping in Motorhomes in the car park of the Mont. If you do overnight in a Camper, you're charged per calendar day so one night is two days parking.

Beauvoir is a handy cycle to the Mont, I did it the other way with my 8 year old son. If you were thinking of driving the tow car and paying for parking, you'd be as well off in the Camping du Mont Saint Michel. Walking would take about 30 minutes to the Navette or probably an hour to the Mont, you'll be doing lots of walking on the Mont too, I recommend paying the entrance fee for the abbey at the top.

An alternative to the Mont and not very far away is Fougeres, there's free Motorhome parking and it's got a lot of medieval charm. I'd recommend it for your next trip.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #19
IMPORTANT POINT FOR YOUR OCTOBER TRIP.

15 th September in France sees many campsites close up for the year. So you may get to try out more Aires than you expect.
If you have not already got one buy a copy of All the Aires from vicarious books as a backup to the online resources mentioned by posters.

Given that you need a bit of space for van, trailer and car, have a look at the scheme called 'France Passion' for a singe payment of about £25 you get free access to several thousand vineyards, farms and other small businesses. Free overnight parking, sometimes with access to water and services. Though you can get these at service points at Aires. No obligation to purchase anything but often worth buying a bottle or two.

France passion sites by their nature are not in centres of population or places of attraction, BUT, since you have a car a bit of travel is no problem. The scheme membership runs from Easter to Easter, so still worth thinking about this year. If it is not for you, no problem since you only buy a year at a time.

Davy

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.08.2017  ·  #20
Quote by Betty Swollocks

Eirebus, I do think I will finish this trip with a stop at Mont St Michel, just for the WOW factor.

Most of this info will be used for my second trip later this year when I WILL be using only aires or wildcamping...

Just checked the aire at Beauvoir and the price has gone up from last Septembers €12 to €15.50 but you do get leccy and Wi-Fi. And its not a bad walk down the river to either the Mont or the free bus if you start flagging half way down
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #21
Cheers folks. Almost fully loaded and plan to grab 6 hours sleep then finish off and hit the road.

Bon Vacances!

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #22
Et bon voyage

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #23
Have a great trip Steven & Co.....
Remember.......
Regular updates on MC please, or you may have to answer to us !!

Have a ball...

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #24
Have a safe one, and remember its only a problem if you cannot sort it

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #25
Now sipping a large single malt in Pont Aven.

Bit of a worry today. Sadly N7 closed after its junction with M50 due to a fatal accident this morning.

We were stationary for an hour. Worried I'd miss the ferry, but the Garda lifted the closure as we were 200 metres from it.

No stops on route other than a loo stop at Portlaoise for the 10 year old. So I opted for a ful top up.

I ended up using cruise control at 70mph, whilst towing. Short time later the engine management light came on in my Transit based motorhome. Still pulling well so I just plodded on. Switched off at Ringaskiddy and she started again fine, but light still illuminated. Hope it's only a sensor.

We were the very last vehicle to get loaded due to the tow car.

Can't wait for stage 2 tomorrow 😊

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #26
Have a great time Stephen hope all goes well...enjoy your trip

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.08.2017  ·  #27
We waved at you between Fermoy and the Tunnel i think,
Seen a tow car being dragged along alright

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #28
Pretty sure 70 mph towing a trailer is illegal you should keep it to 50 mph but that's up to you anything goes wrong at 70 will make one hell of a mess you and family included , be safe and enjoy holiday

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #29
Could never get my head around the 50mph limit whilst towing in the south on motorways!

Enjoy your trip, 19 days to go for us.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #30
Well, he was reported to the police......
Well he wasn't really...... someone rang the guards and stated they saw a motorhome doing 95mph and someone in a Toyota Yaris only 3 foot behind them tailgating !

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Question re French Aires

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #31
Quote by Mark&Wendy

Could never get my head around the 50mph limit whilst towing in the south on motorways!

Enjoy your trip, 19 days to go for us.

80k is the speed limit for trucks and all towing vehicles, but as there is a policy of targeting cars only And none at all on motorways, most in that category ignore it.
I was overtaken recently on the M11by two swaying yellow reg caravan's doing north of 120k.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #32
Hi Betty,
Probably going to miss you in relation to this post. We have been here in France for the past week with the first 3 days around Bayeux. When touring the war sites if you spot a Dutch reg van near your destination follow them. They know all the handy parking spots.
The airboure museum in St mere Eglise is definitely worth a visit. Especially the aries behind it at €2 per day parking and €7/8 overnight.
Since you're travelling with kids, check out Decathlon. They are the ikea version of sport and camping gear at very reasonable prices. We sorted out our kids with gear for the next year.
French campsite are hugh by Irish standards. We are currently in a Castles site in Catherine de fierbois, just south of Tours. The wifi is only available by paying €5 per day. Ouch.
Regarding the engine light, ford doesn't have a big presence in France so if you think that a van check up is in order research a location first.
In the past I have used the ford garage in Tours and despite no common language we were happy with their service. Safe travels.
Malcolm

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #33
Arrived safe and well and today is the first time I've used the awning and all the new outdoor gear. I'm really chuffed, it is some set up.

Re the 70mph whilst towing, it was that or miss the Cork ferry which only sails once a week. In the North the speed limit whilst towing is 60mph and in France it's 90kmh on motorways. So yes I intentionally cruised at 10 over the limit.

I've the all the groups on my licence including buses and HGV including trailers, so know what I'm at. I'm a retired driving bike instructor and examiner. And the van is the bigger 140 Diesel engine with low miles, new tyres and a recent service.

So yes I broke the law, but the driving was well within my capabilities and that of the vehicle.

My point was that the speed may have hurt the engine.

Anyway, she was pinking like made all the way to Cork and same today. After 100 miles today the light went out.

I refuelled with French stuff when I was down to a quarter and the engine is quiet as a mouse now and pulling like a train.
I'm now convinced the problem is the fuel I got at a petrol station just off the motorway at Portlaoise.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #34
Glad all is good.
Now, settle in and enjoy your holiday.
Updates here so we can be jealous please !!

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #35
Glad you're sorted. Keep us informed.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Question re French Aires

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #36
You could very well be right about the bad fuel. I was thinking the hard hot run you had to do may have given you the warning light.
As for making the boat we have all done that .
Have a safe trip and remembered the red stuff is only good for you in small quantities :lol:
Will be trying some this time next month my self

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.08.2017  ·  #37
Have heard of a petrol station around Portlaois giving problems but don't know which one

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.08.2017  ·  #38
Glad that you have arrived safe and sound in France. Remember that an orange light is only precautionary not like a red which is critical. The fact that it's gone out is great from your perspective but it is troubling for me because your possible fuel issue is in my home town.
The speed limit issue is only because of your cannon ball run due to the holdup and I am gald that you have addressed it appropriately .
In the interest of reasonable discussion, the speed limit of towing a trailer/ car is the least of my concerns, but what do folks think of the 20 mg alcohol limit of such adventure. I think that equates to 20 hours of alcohol free drinking?
Betty, sorry for hijacking the post.
Malcolm

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.08.2017  ·  #39
Remember you are only as good as the worst / drunk etc driver you meet on the road all the licences in the world won't save you they will only help

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.08.2017  ·  #40
You have made it to France, how you got to the boat is neither here nor there, as others have said, needs must! Now enjoy France and all it has to offer, keep us updated on your journey and any good or bad points, after all it can help others making the journey at a later date

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.