Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

Control of Dogs Regs 1998

· 
Posted: 07.08.2017  ·  #1
Just found out that German Shepherd Dogs are classed as dangerous dogs in the ROI. Needs to be muzzled and on a short lead at all times. Lucky no one saw us in Donegal in June!

That's this weeks trip scuppered until I get a muzzle that doesn't make him look like a 'dangerous dog'.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Re: Control of Dogs Regs 1998

· 
Posted: 07.08.2017  ·  #2
Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.08.2017  ·  #3
Superb, I think this one should do the trick!
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Mattmobile3
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Fiat Tribute T669 2015
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2017  ·  #4
Just back from another week in the ROI with our German Shepherd. We have toured the entire coast with her this summer, without knowing we needed to muzzle her, or indeed having a pet passport for her (though we did get a passport sorted for her a couple of weeks ago for last week's trip). We met quite a few other German Shepherds, local and otherwise, similarly unmuzzled. Not a word or a funny look came our way. We had her lead to hand though she was mostly off-lead but under good control (she's very well trained and obedient). If you're responsible and sensible, don't worry about muzzling. I guess it might be an issue in say, Dublin city centre or any of the more populous places. We got her passport as we'd heard on the grapevine that the Gardaí were asking dog owners from outside the ROI for pet passports and evidence of rabies vaccination, and as we plan to head to Europe with her at some point.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2017  ·  #5
Gardai have no interest unless your dog kills someone but for Europe pet passport is a must have item , they are checked more than our passports

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2017  ·  #6
Thanks for the update Veronica. We have the passport and now a very discrete muzzle that we will carry with us but carry on as usual. Thanks again.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2017  ·  #7
As we prepare ourselves to pick up our first camper, this is one of our concerns as we have two dogs. And while they're rescue dogs carrying a mix match of whatever breed, they both have brindle coats so the non-dog lovers automatically relate them to staffies/pits, which as we all know, they're killer dogs!! (nope, they're not).

Haven't had any issues thus far anywhere and I would like to think that if you're a camper you do enjoy nature and thus animals and most likely dogs or at least you don't mind them.

We'll see how it goes!

When you're parked somewhere, do you keep your dog tied to the camper, inside it or will he stay chilled next to you? I was thinking about getting some long ropes to let them move around at least around the awning area, where I would expect that people wont go walking by (unless they want to give them a rub, and they're most welcome to it).

I'll be interested on hearing your experiences and tips!

Cheers,
Rami

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2017  ·  #8
we generally keep our lady (killer pit bull/giant softie) in with us as we generally wild camp. But we have had her tied and chilling outside on occasion and if we were on a dog friendly campsite I'd expect to do that too! Incidentally - spotted ground stakes in 'the range' that were only €5 and look like they'd definitely do the job into grass etc to provide a tie down spot!

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2017  ·  #9
Quote by killiand

we generally keep our lady (killer pit bull/giant softie) in with us as we generally wild camp. But we have had her tied and chilling outside on occasion and if we were on a dog friendly campsite I'd expect to do that too! Incidentally - spotted ground stakes in 'the range' that were only €5 and look like they'd definitely do the job into grass etc to provide a tie down spot!

Aren't they just vicious animals ??? :P High risk of being licked to death or injured by a tail wag attack :D

That's good to hear! I think we will go for wild camp for the most parts but most likely to end up in a camp site at some point.

I'll try to find a hookup point on the chassis of the camper to tie them down with a bowline knot if they're outside, I wouldn't trust a stake with the two of them, although they would probably be just fine.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2017  ·  #10
Steel wheel rims with circular holes in them provided a good 3 tonne anchor for her :) Tail wag attacks are the worst!!!

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.08.2017  ·  #11
We were in a site last weekend,the guy beside us had a Japanese Akita chained up to his van,he said the dog was very friendly,we had a yorkie with us. On Sunday we opened the van door and our yorkie went out,the Akita saw the our dog broke its collar and went to kill our dog lucky for both dogs our yorkie ran in under a car and the friendly Akita went without his snack.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2017  ·  #12
Always keep our boy tied to the chassis or nearby tree. We also had to change his collar as he could break the snap on type. He has a dislike of other dogs which causes our greatest problem in campsites. We are currently trying 3 wind breakers to create a closed in area. Unfortunately it didn't stop the wee dog that was roaming the site from slipping under the van in search of the bbq. He had the shock of his life, but survived. I'll not say who's dog it was!

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.08.2017  ·  #13
I see a pattern here.... :D :D

Mattmobile3
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Fiat Tribute T669 2015
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.08.2017  ·  #14
On sites and in busier spots like a beach, we'll tie our pooch on a long leash, but not that long she can wander about too far away, just a couple of meters. This is partly why we love to find remote spots that we are likely to have to ourselves, so the dog and her best friend (our son) can enjoy exploring the rocks and pools to their hearts' content. She's also happy and agreeable enough on a lead that gives her a little freedom under the awning.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.