blacklablover
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

MH Handover advice

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #1
I fly to England a week on Thursday to collect our 1st ever MH.
It is a used van and totally different to what I thought we wanted and twice the price of what I wanted to pay!
It is a 9m A Class and has loads of solar, refillable gas low, immobiliser, alarm and tracker. The seller is an experienced motorhomer and he said he will take as long as it takes to give me a good handover. On his advice I am staying on a campsite for a couple of nights returning home on Saturday. I am staying on th campsite on his advice so that if I have any issues or problems he can pop round and show me how to resolve them. The van is set p for extended touring with the solar and gas etc.
Obviously I will ask about the solar,batteries, isolation valves etc but is there anything that you wished you had asked on picking up your MH which you hadn't asked but later realised was important.
The seller is going to come to the campsite with me and show me how to refill the gas en route.
Obviously the 9m is a concern for me but hey ho!
Thanks, Martin

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

damp

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #2
Buy a damp meter martin and check all the corners and roof. your eyes will tell you for stains of water and your nose will tell of damp, Check twice and make sure ,mechanical faults are a lot easier to fix than water ingress

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: MH Handover advice

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #3
the usual of how to fill with water, empty waste, toilet flush if it has one. Battery isolation switch if fitted, how to lift the bonnet to check the oil/water etc. Get all the hand books for everything even the reversing camera. If there are service records/MOT certs etc as the English MOT system records advisories.

Dont be afraid to ask a question no matter how stupid it may seem to you as you can end up having to ask it later anyway! Did I mention ask plenty of questions!

Above all take notes on how to operate things, if there is a front bed to make up get him to do it and take pictures, they can be a jigsaw puzzle.

Did I mention to ask loads of questions :lol:

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #4
If you have the registration number you can go to this site

UK MOT History Check

and see it's MOT history, any reasons for failures, advisories and odometer reading at MOT's

If you see rust on the list start walking

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #5
If you have a phone with video get the seller to show you how to turn on the water heater for shower and sink, how to drain the fresh water and grey water tanks, what the display screens mean for solar, hookup, water levels etc, if there are any beds converted from furniture how it is done, where are the fuse boxes, how to switch the fridge from 12v, to electric hookup and to gas, how to turn on and off the gas.
Check all things work on gas, electric and 12v where applicable. If it has an invertor does it power all sockets or specific ones? If it has an alarm how it all works. Check guages to indicate battery, and water levels. Ask what size and when leisure batteries were last replaced and their locations. Check all catches, Windows and doors work.

AND get a habitation report before paying for the MH.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #6
Sounds like a beauty. Just enjoy and learn as you go. It's not that complicated, usually.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.08.2017  ·  #7
Is it over 3500kg I.e. Do you have a licence to drive it @ 9 mts it probably is

blacklablover
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2017  ·  #8
Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply. Some very good points which have been duly noted and added to my ever expanding list.
I downloaded the owners manual and at 291 pages just for the vehicle without the appliances it's quite a lot to take in lol.
It's only four years old and looks like it has been very well maintained and all the initial snagging issues sorted.
Once again, many 🙏

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2017  ·  #9
When you say it's a 9M do you mean a 9 metre long van or a Rapido 9M series, if it's the latter they have a ridiculously small payload particularly with a lot of extras added. AFAIK they can be uprated to 3,800kg to give a bit extra, if it is, make sure you have a C1 licence to drive it.
Otherwise they are a super motorhome with a very good build quality and as a rule Rapido's don't leak.

If it's a 9 metre long van it could present problems on campsites and Aires with pitches/parking spaces designed for sub 8 metre vehicles.

blacklablover
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2017  ·  #10
Hi Baguette
Its 9m in length. I agree about the restrictions and it was a concern to me at first but I will just have to do more planning lol. It has quite a big payload and thankfully I am old enough to have the C1 entitlement having passed my test in 1979.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

MH Handover advice

· 
Posted: 02.08.2017  ·  #11
Be careful you may have the entitlement, but I don't think the just give them out nowadays.

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.08.2017  ·  #12
My husband's driving licence doesn't cover him to drive over 3500kg. There was a date by which he could have applied for it, but passed that date. We never thought of owning a motorhome, but we live in the South, I don't know if same in Northern Ireland.

aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.08.2017  ·  #13
1997 was the cut-off for getting C1 entitlement with a car driving test.

I got my van new from a dealer but the handover was rubbish. "To be honest, this thing is as new to me as it is to you" said the salesman at the start of the handover. And he went on to prove it.

Only thing that saved me was another dealer had a 40 min video on YouTube of a proper handover for the same make of van. You may be able to find something similar.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.08.2017  ·  #14
Northern Ireland and UK drivers can check their catagories on the back of the licience,if it is not there you dont have it. There have been instances in the past where people have had to get them reinstated .

blacklablover
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.08.2017  ·  #15
Thankfully they do. I quickly got my licence out to check as I was sure I had it but after Sprinters first post I had a slight panic. On the back is every every entitlement and the date for which it is valid. So panic over lol

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.