Shopping Around for Tyres

Millie Mouse
My Motorhome: Hobby 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2017  ·  #1
Was quoted £180 per tyre (fitted) for Continental Vanco's yesterday by our usual tyre place. Phoarrr. Time to shop around. Better price of £140 (again fitted) quoted today by a Black Circles franchise garage. This seems more like it, but going to try a few more places - any suggestions?? Armagh/Antrim/Down/Belfast.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Shopping Around for Tyres

· 
Posted: 25.07.2017  ·  #2
try all the tyre companies around, camping tyres are more expensive than van tyres and while some may say only fit camping tyres on a camper van you can fit van ones providing they have the correct ply (usually 8 or 10 ply)and load rating, again a decent tyre centre will be able to advise.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2017  ·  #3
Millie Mouse, try Kerr Tyres in Antrim that's where I got mine. Make sure you put the correct tyres on so as not to invalidate your insurance.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2017  ·  #4
You dont say if they are 15 or 16 inch but both are on Amazon ,that where I got my Michelin from and they were here in two days. I took them to a small tyre company , off the van ,and paid £6 each to change and balance they are a good lot cheaper than your quotes

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2017  ·  #5
A word of advice, check the load rating of your current tyres. It is printed on the sidewall. Our MH is 3.5 ton rating so the tyres rating code is "114/116R". A mate of mine MH is a 4 ton and his tyre rating code is "120/122R".
Surprisingly here in the south tyre load rating are not checked during the doe/mot test, and most trye suppliers know this.
There are alot of crap tyres on the market now, so learn as to how to read the info printed onto a tyre sidewall and this will help to compare different suppliers.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.07.2017  ·  #6
Load rating is checked in CVRT test, guaranteed,

My local tyre company manager (a good friend also) that i have dealt with for over 20 yrs now stated that the load rating is the important part and the camping tyre is not compulsary and will not invalidate any insurance

Load rating to be the equal or higher

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2017  ·  #7
Mad Max that's not what my Insurer told me.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2017  ·  #8
Id be careful with that insurance company Jack,
What did they say? Did they specify any make?

Once any vehicle passes the CVRT/MOT with the same tyres on (or similar load rating) that is sufficent for any insurance company

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2017  ·  #9
I was told I had to fit the same ones as came on the Motorhome originally, which I duly did to have peace of mind.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2017  ·  #10
Quote by jacktherev

I was told I had to fit the same ones as came on the Motorhome originally, which I duly did to have peace of mind.

I can't comment one way or the other Jack, but I do know that people that don't know themselves cover their ass by making that kind of statement.
Surely someone out there have had accidents on van tyres, anybody refused a claim due to having correct load rating Van tyres?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.07.2017  ·  #11
Mad max, crvt test check that the trye size is the same as the van manufacturer specified. General condition of the tyre, thread dept, the "CE" mark, and the date stamp are checked. The load rating codes does not have to be check but some testers check especially if it is a brand of tyre that is not known to them.
The crvt test is been reviewed at the moment by the rsa, and tyre loading codes are expected to be included from 2019 onwards.
A point of interest could be the fact that most people replace tyres with similar size etc but what if a previous owner used inferior tyres, and the current owner is due to change a set of tyres. The info plate/ badge/sticker for tyres and air pressure only gives size but not load rating codes.
Popular tyre manufacturers usually put a letter ( A,B,C,D) after the tyre size on the sidewall which can denote load rating but this lettering is not international standardised.
The only accepted international way to determining the load rating of a tyre is using the codes as I mentioned in a previous post.

Millie Mouse
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2017  ·  #12
Thanks for all the good advice. TBH I priced good quality van tyres of the correct weight rating for the motorhome as an alternative and Michelins were costing £120 each. Will definitely try Kerrs of Antrim, but the quote of £140 each from Canavans of Lurgan for Continental Vancos in light of that seems pretty good. I have not been able to find cheaper online - yet. They were coming up on Google for £110 but when I clicked on the link it was another tyre entyrely :) I think for just £20 difference we would go with the motorhome tyres. There must be a reason motorhome specific tyres are fitted on motorhomes when new? You would imagine if there was a way for MH manufacturers to save a bit of money then they surely would! We've had conflicting info from the tyre folks re legality. Some say van tyres are ok, some say not. I have tried to get through to Dolmen (our insurers) to see what they say but I lost the will to live after 2 days lol.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2017  ·  #13
Millie , motorhome tyres have a stronger side wall ,I think several ply, because of the time motorhomes stand when they are not getting used. The michelin are rated for snow and mud. Van tyres have a rubbing strip for the kerb as that is where the most wear is and are rated for general use.

beakey
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Swift Bolero 682FB
Base Vehicle: 2.3 litre Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.07.2017  ·  #14
I got motorhome tyres last year and Kwik Fit online were the cheapest at just over £100 for Michelin Agilis.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2017  ·  #15
Ask at the glenavy road tyre place, behind the BP garage or try the new tyre place in flush place in Lurgan. Most camper tyres are 8ply, you can get 10ply van tyres. With a fleet of ducatos, boxers and sprinters you can get van tyres for around £60 inc vat, they last as long as the premium brands.

As for the mud and snow bit on camper tyres does it really make a difference, if the muddy field is bad enough you will still need pulled out, the tyres wont make a button of difference

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.07.2017  ·  #16
Whilst I appreciate that my Previous van was only a Tribute van conversion based though on a 2006 Ducato when I changed the tyres from Camper tyres to Bridgestone R623 light van tyres the change in ride comfort was very noticeable more than happy that I went with van tyres. My finding for these tyres have been backed by other Tribby owners and as far as I can find no one has a bad word against them, Price wise represent good value compared to Campervan tyres from a major name
Also interesting that some van converters (including Autosleeper) don't fit campervan tyres but just commercials
David

Smiddytheman
Subject:

Continental Vanco 2 Tyres

· 
Posted: 29.07.2017  ·  #17
Hello all,

I've just had two Continental Vanco 2 tyres fitted to the rear of my MH. They were 235/65R 16C 121/119R, and were priced at £130.00 each plus VAT and including fitting and balancing. This was from A1 tyres on the carriageway between Dromore and Banbridge. They had them in within two days of ordering them, and were pleasent to deal with.

aria
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 150
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2017  ·  #18
Load index table

I looked into this a fair bit when I uprated my back axle weight - I could not get camper tyres in the size and loading required. My insurance did not care as long as the load rating was correct.

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.07.2017  ·  #19
Quote by mad max

Load rating is checked in CVRT test, guaranteed,

My local tyre company manager (a good friend also) that i have dealt with for over 20 yrs now stated that the load rating is the important part and the camping tyre is not compulsary and will not invalidate any insurance

Load rating to be the equal or higher

After getting 2 new tyres on the rear of my work van Fiat Doblo,it failed on the load rating in a cvrt in Mayo,so they do check.

Mattmobile3
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Fiat Tribute T669 2015
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.08.2017  ·  #20
We were coming home from our around Ireland trip in our newly-purchased Fiat Tribute campervan to discover that the sidewall of a front tyre had a gash in it, apparently from a kerb impact (probably when we squeezed up against a rock on a narrow lane) and a new-looking Michelin tyre on the back had split through to the wire down the middle of the tread.
We also discovered that none of them were as per the ratings described in the owner's handbook. All of them looked like new when we bought the van, but needless to say, all were replaced as specified in the handbook. Thankfully, they're van tyres, so not super-expensive like MH tyres. Scary stuff, though, and a sobering moment in the tyre depot when I thought about the potential for a blow-out on the motorway!
Our last campervan came with new tyres...all of which failed within a few months because they were snow tyres!
Next time we purchase any new vehicle, we'll be paying more attention to ratings. 😐
By the way, we used Modern Tyres in Enniskillen - very reasonable and very helpful.

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2017  ·  #21
Just bought 2 Hankook Vantra LT 215/70R15C from Tyremaster on Gilford Road, Portadown . £88(each) Inc VAT, balancing and fitting. Replaced Chennai tyres, seems to be a big improvement.

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.08.2017  ·  #22
As a follow on from my previous post, I was asked by the tyre fitter what pressure I put in the tyres? From the plate at the passenger door, Peugeot state 72.3 PSI on the front and 79.5 on the rear . The brochure from the motorhome manufacturer ( Compass ) states 60 on the front and 65 on the rear. Which should I use? :-/

glastry
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes-Benz hymer s550
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

JIM MORROW TYRES

· 
Posted: 06.08.2017  ·  #23
Near Comber county down- very professional and pleasant to deal with

presstout1
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 896f
Base Vehicle: Fait Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2017  ·  #24
I was priced £130 each for Michelin Agilis by MW tyres Ballyclare

philstoke
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Rapido 786F
Base Vehicle: 03 Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2017  ·  #25
I need 2 Michelin Agilis tyres and am in the Belfast area, are there any recommended dealers who would have them in stock without me having to wait a day or two for them to order them
Thanks

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2017  ·  #26
Try Magowans or Kerr Tyres in Antrim. I think Magowans have a large place on the Boucher Road in Belfast.

Millie Mouse
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.08.2017  ·  #27
Our MH won't sit for long periods of time so that doesn't concern me. If the extra layer on the sidewalls was the only difference then yes we would go with non-MH tyres to save a substantial amount of money. (we need 6). The only concerns are safety, comfort of ride and wear - in that order. The insurer incidentally confirmed that the load rating is all they require to comply with the policy. At some stage soon we will have to pay our money and take our choice arrrggghh.

Davidod
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Itineo FB650
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X250
Subject:

Online order for tyres delivered and fitted by your local dealer.

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #28
I know this topic has been dormant for a while but I just picked it up.

I ordered 2 X Continental Vanco Tyres from Tyreleader.ie. Tyreleader.co.uk also exists. The spec of the tyre I ordered was taken from the original tyres fitted by the manufacturer when the van was new. What was delivered was identical.

The site allows you to pick a local dealer from the fairly extensive list. The tyres are then delivered to the dealer and fitted by them for price that is shown on the website. In my case it was €10 per tyre.

The tyres were delivered from The Netherlands in under a week and it all went very smoothly.

Continental Vanco Camper 215/70 R15 109R 8PR, CP 2 121.66 €
Price excluding VAT : 197.80 €
VAT23.00 % : 45.50 €
Full price including VAT : 243.30 €

In my case the total cost for 2 tyres fitted was therefor €263.30 or just under €132 per tyre.

Might be of interest anyone needing to fit new tyres.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #29
Quote by Davidod

I know this topic has been dormant for a while but I just picked it up.

I ordered 2 X Continental Vanco Tyres from Tyreleader.ie. Tyreleader.co.uk also exists. The spec of the tyre I ordered was taken from the original tyres fitted by the manufacturer when the van was new. What was delivered was identical.

The site allows you to pick a local dealer from the fairly extensive list. The tyres are then delivered to the dealer and fitted by them for price that is shown on the website. In my case it was €10 per tyre.

The tyres were delivered from The Netherlands in under a week and it all went very smoothly.

Continental Vanco Camper 215/70 R15 109R 8PR, CP 2 121.66 €
Price excluding VAT : 197.80 €
VAT23.00 % : 45.50 €
Full price including VAT : 243.30 €

In my case the total cost for 2 tyres fitted was therefor €263.30 or just under €132 per tyre.

Might be of interest anyone needing to fit new tyres.

Buying Tyres online is fine if they don't develop problems.
I bought a set of Pirelli tyres online from Eire Tyres about 10 years ago, they were good value and were delivered from
Germany, however after a short time one developed a defect and I had to change it, I know if I bought it locally it would have been replaced under warranty, after that they were no longer good value. Hopefully you will have a better experience David.

Davidod
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Itineo FB650
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X250
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.10.2017  ·  #30
So far so good Pat. I've had them for just over a year at this stage.

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #31
Mh in for annual service this week....oil change, brakes, wipers, exhaust rings....€327

We had CVRT earlier in year no problem passing but we felt as an 09 reg and MH can be parked up for few months at a time that side walls had fine cracks even though treads still ok. Mechanic agreed they did need changing.

We did a few internet checks, read posts on here.
Asked our mechanic who services cars, vans and MHs to make enquiries.
Quoted €153 per Tyre (need 4) for Michelin proper camper tyres 109Q. Decibel 71....too technical for me.
Aren’t any in country at moment and are on order, due in 2 weeks from today..hope in time for Lumpers.
He also mentioned a new levy on Tyres since 1st October when you buy new tyres and disposing of old ones....I googled it.

I saw a question...what if client wants them for a craft..eg planter for garden...recently seen a few stacked and painted.
Still have to pay levy.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #32
Quote by R&N
Quoted €153 per Tyre (need 4) for Michelin proper camper tyres 109Q. Decibel 71....too technical for me.
Aren’t any in country at moment and are on order, due in 2 weeks from today..hope in time for Lumpers.
He also mentioned a new levy on Tyres since 1st October when you buy new tyres and disposing of old ones....I googled it.

I saw a question...what if client wants them for a craft..eg planter for garden...recently seen a few stacked and painted.
Still have to pay levy.

How much was the levy ? If you get the tyre,s fitted in the North, do you have to pay a levy
Halfords have them.
Michelin Agilis Camper (215/70 R15 109Q) £127.99 each Fully fitted ( euro 142,34 ) that gives you 40 euro to get there and back )

Betty Swollocks
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Geist
Base Vehicle: Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #33
Yeah, couple of quid per tyre in the north, think they call is disposal fee. To contribute towards re-cycling.

People used to just hand them over to the bonfires in the past. But that's not allowed any more 😱

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #34
Hi Sprinter,
when I googled levy it was €2.80 per Tyre but probably car tyres would Mh be any different?
The €153 incl vat and fitting so presumably levy too.
I think there was a cheaper one, heard €145 being mentioned but this will be quieter?? We do notice on different road surface hard to have a conversation...others really quiet.
The Tyre you mentioned do you think ours are Agilis.
We have to take Mh to Arklow to have them fitted, about 45 mins drive.
Levy only new charge down South from beginning Oct, how long in North?

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #35
Quote by R&N

Hi Sprinter,
when I googled levy it was €2.80 per Tyre but probably car tyres would Mh be any different?
The €153 incl vat and fitting so presumably levy too.
I think there was a cheaper one, heard €145 being mentioned but this will be quieter?? We do notice on different road surface hard to have a conversation...others really quiet.
The Tyre you mentioned do you think ours are Agilis.
We have to take Mh to Arklow to have them fitted, about 45 mins drive.
Levy only new charge down South from beginning Oct, how long in North?

Sorry bum steer, but Halfords autocentre don't have a depot in the north.only mainland UK.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 13.10.2017  ·  #36
For the first two years I'd the tyres Hobby fitted, or probably Fiat. Continentals, and they returned 30.4 mpg. Fitted Michelins and get 33.2mpg.
Not a huge difference., unless you drive quite a bit, I manage over 12000 miles per year. I found a site that works out the costs and Michelins saved me £221 in year one. Clearly these are not hard and fast figures, and I realise some might think whats the point? Personal choice.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #37
How about this.
The combined footprint of four tyres is probably equal to one third or less of the laptop screen your reading this post on.

Given the demands on such a small contact area to keep your MH on the road in adverse conditions and to bring it to a halt in an emergency does saving a few Euro/Quid by fitting anything other that premium quality tyres make much sense.

I certainly don't lose any sleep over spending the difference once every 5 or 6 years, but I do rest easy when driving along at 100km/h in my fully loaded MH.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #38
Quote by R&N

Still have to pay levy.

thats a great way to encourage people to change their tyres :devil: who has put this levy on

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #39
Quote by eirebus

Quote by R&N

Still have to pay levy.

thats a great way to encourage people to change their tyres :devil: who has put this levy on

That Levy is probably like the levy that Farmers pay when buying rolls of Plastic wrap for covering bales of silage which came in a few years back, it was intended to cover the cost of collecting the waste plastic wrap at end of life. but then they decided to charge us again to collect the plastic down on top of the levy, thus paying on the double. 🇧🇭

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #40
i stand corrected but i think we already pay a levy when we buy the tyres which goes towards recycling now this i think is another charge because of the huge stock pile of worn tyres in the country!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.