ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

Aires for Motorhomers

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #1
Well folks to carry on from other threads regarding Aires for Motorhomes and for the attention of Councillors and any other interested parties, how many of us are willing to pay a nominal fee of approx £10 or 10 Euro depending on location?
I am as these sites only come at a cost.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Aires for Motorhomers

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #2
Count me in, but the tenner is for 24 hours ( 12 noon until 12 noon) not for an overnight and then a couple of euro per hour during the day time.
Another thing that I have noticed is aires spaces need to be the width of a disability space, about 2 foot wider that a standard car spot.
Malcolm

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #3
Yes Malcolm that is exactly my thoughts, all charges are for 24 hour parking. All additional parking is charged pro rata.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #4
Dublin airport are managing their carparks for years using the 24 hour period. Book your spot a day short or overstay by a couple of hours and people learnt an expensive lesson very quickly.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #5
I agree with the above posts but think the majority of freeloaders that don't give a damm about where or in which manner they park are not on MHC, joined any Motorhome Club or dare I say follow any Motorhome Groups on Facebook, and all we are saying here on the site is just not getting to them.

kevinmoore
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Benimar 494 Tessoro
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.07.2017  ·  #6
Agree with this, I'd be happy to pay a tenner for a reasonable facility, like for instance the new aire at Portumna. Having said that, we stayed on a lovely aire outside Toulouse for €2.50 and an extra €2.50 for EHU if you wanted it!

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2017  ·  #7
I would be more than happy to pay as I'm doing at them moment in Carlingford which is beautiful.

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2017  ·  #8
I would be very happy to pay a fee for services.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2017  ·  #9
No probs 10euro/pounds I would pay that ,in fact going to carlingford now will be there about 11.30 hope to meet you jack what camper do you have will call to say hello if your still there

TAYLOR.
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: kencarrolladaptati…
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2017  ·  #10
I'm in portumna now asked one of the van owners that use it regularly where do I pay and was told while we're here there will be one paying. Then when the van besides me left the regular took out his ehu lead and plugged in to get the remaining electricity. You are wasting your time asking questions like this while the likes are around.
I can see this place turning into another Howth vans parked under no mh parking signs it won't last long unless it's policed right

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2017  ·  #11
Unfortunately this is the way things have gone, people just don't care about what's right or wrong.
All you have to do if take a look at Facebook to see what is going on, everything is referred to as wild camping even the aires are referred to as wild camping.

I normally would not use Facebook, I had seen so much mention about it, that I had to look through a few of these fb pages and almost every poi that is on the app is being mentioned as wild Camping, and loads of photos with tables and chairs out. I even see one person asking for the GPS cords of every place that is mentioned.

From what I can see if that continues every poi spot in the country will become over crowded resulting in the powers to be erecting height barriers. I can see this happing in a short space of time. just my thoughts from what I seen on Facebook no one seems to care, it's hard to change that kind of attitude.
I don't mean to rant on it is just the way I see it panning out.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2017  ·  #12
I would pay 10 Euro/pound for safe overnight parking without a doubt. Maybe more private type Aires such as Carlingford could help us.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2017  ·  #13
I think that is the way forward.... pubs, marinas and such like offering a stop for say €10/24h and they retain the right to railroad the types that cause the issues we're experiencing in Howth.
What do we need? Is a water hose enough? Do we need grey & cassette or EHU facilities ?
A lot of pubs and other places would be willing to offer stops but I think be unwilling to make the capital expenditure to add facilities that would take extended time to recoup their investment.
Other issues will be local authorities & county councils.... they'll start clamping down on planning for such places if it is brought to their attention...... and we all know where politicians and public officials will lean when 'their' vested interest become upset.
But, we all know that places like Howth will continue to enforce no parking when we have freeloaders amongst us that don't give a damn and cause problems wherever they go...... so another type of stop (like mentioned in previous posts) is something that needs to be investigated.
Interesting views and solutions in this thread may offer an insight where it all goes in the future.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2017  ·  #14
I have to agree that most pubs/hotels etc. would be reluctant to put facilities in due to the cost involved and possible planning issues. The provision of fresh water and waste disposal would not be as much of an issue for marinas such as Carlingford as they already have these provisions in place. A well supported Carlingford could lead to other Marinas following suit...hopefully.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2017  ·  #15
When I avail of a service like filling water, emptying water or the cassette, or electric hook up I'm happy to pay. If an area is reserved for Motorhomes, excluding other vehicles, again I'm happy to pay a specific motorhome rate.

In a public carpark with no additional facilities, I'm happy to pay the standard car parking rates.

Basically, put a tap in your carpark and you're adding value for me and I'll pay accordingly.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2017  ·  #16
I think that if we are all being reasonable Aires will only ever be put in place by the likes of councils or marinas where they will be bringing investment via expenditure to that area,no private investor would ever get a return at a rate like £10 or 10 euro so in my opinion that is why we need to encourage these groups.
Let me say that nobody likes a free night any more than myself but that will be where I am not annoying locals and where I feel wanted.

joeflo
Love's the Craic
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.07.2017  ·  #17
A safe nights sleep has got to be worth a tenner 💤

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2017  ·  #18
I have been to Carlingford Marine, last October, when the aires was in planning. Carlingford marine is a private operation primarily involved in providing berthing for boats but because of the devaluation of sterling they were afraid of losing mooring fees to the other side for the estuary so they looked at creating an aires. I take my hat off to the guys for taking a brave decision.
I think it's a bit disingenuous to compare the level of service from a private operator verus a state ran organisation (Howth harbour )
With the popularity of MH in this country as the moment I think education is the way forward for everyone, be it motorhomers, government agencies, private companies/investors.
If there is anyone from a local authority, state agency or private company watching please draw up a clear set of reasonable rules and enforce them. Toss off those who don't comply.
I also believe that too much criticism for lazy motorhomers here, could do damage it getting future members to this forum because one could get blacklisted on a popular social media app.
These are just my humble thoughts and feel free to debate them.
Malcolm

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2017  ·  #19
Quote by ntg

I think that if we are all being reasonable Aires will only ever be put in place by the likes of councils or marinas where they will be bringing investment via expenditure to that area,no private investor would ever get a return at a rate like £10 or 10 euro so in my opinion that is why we need to encourage these groups.
Let me say that nobody likes a free night any more than myself but that will be where I am not annoying locals and where I feel wanted.

Exactly! I am sick of listening to people going on about Aires in France or Eastern Europe for €2. we are in Ireland not main land Europe and there is no way any private person could provide an aire, even a green field site with no services for less than €10 with the cost of public liability Insurance unless they had a set up like the private aire in Ardmore. they would be better setting spuds in their site.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.07.2017  ·  #20
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by ntg

Exactly! I am sick of listening to people going on about Aires in France or Eastern Europe for €2. we are in Ireland not main land Europe and there is no way any private person could provide an aire, even a green field site with no services for less than €10 with the cost of public liability Insurance unless they had a set up like the private aire in Ardmore. they would be better setting spuds in their site.

€2 ? !!!!!
Are ye mad ?!!!!
Most are free !

PFFT !!

Mattmobile3
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Fiat Tribute T669 2015
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.07.2017  ·  #21
Very happy to pay a fee for services provided at aires! The Crossmolina, Co. Mayo, aire came in very handy for us when we needed to decant black water and refill with clean water - this one was free, unbelievably!
We also like to "wild camp", not to avoid paying at a camp site, but to go somewhere quiet where we won't annoy others or get in anyone's way (and vice versa!) - not that we're annoying campers! We are responsible and, hopefully, thoughtful and considerate of others and the natural environment. We also appreciate the services provided by local authorities and would be very happy to pay for the services offered.

Breeze
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 650
Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.08.2017  ·  #22
Totally agree €10 for safe overnight parking is a no brainer.
How can local authoritys be encouraged to provide Aires is this a function for Failte Ireland

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.08.2017  ·  #23
Local authorities are only interested if the funding comes from a central government agency. However at a local level you will find that vested interests like hotels and b&b who pay rates will call the tune.
Some joined up thinking is needed across some state agencies, like for example some provide land eg collite/ opw, local authority builds the facilities, and day to day management provided by solas ( like the old fas community employment scheme ). To expect multi agency joined up thinking done cost effectively in this country could lead to alot of "but if".

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.08.2017  ·  #24
Been following this and would say thanks to all the contributors and leave with this thought.
No camping notice according to the dictionary means ,The putting up of a canvas structure and living temporarily in that area is forbidden. This should not include a motor vehicle parked for the night and the occupants taking a rest and moving on the next morning unless the sign says motorhomes and tents. How many commercial vehicles from all over Europe overnight away from their bases. Most of these notices and bylaws are from past centuries and I think should be dragged into the present day.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.08.2017  ·  #25
Likewise I been following this thread of thought and I believe that targeted MH parking can be achieved by using a local rural tourist approach by possibly approaching something like the leader development programme for rural communities. A rural communities survives by people having local jobs in local businesses and we as motorhomers love get lost in rural places and spenting a few euro here and there.
An example, we were in Dromineer, Tipperary 2 weeks ago and over 2 days the kids spent a tenner in the local shop which the owner acknowledged personal to me. She informed that after 5 years of lobbying Irish Waterways and Tipperary council for MH parking, the local community got 3 new picnic benches.
Basically it is tourism money that the local businesses need to survive and I firmly believe that if we can get a small number of communities like above running a MH parking places, the local businesses benefiting will keep the antisocial behaviour to a minimum. At the end of the day, be it some ass doing donuts in the carpark or whatever, there is a sister, cousin or friend employed in the local pub or shop.
I acknowledge that people like big flagship models like Cobh and Galway docks but those communities would survive without MH.
I am willing to throw my shoulder behind the cause.
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Aires for Motorhomers

· 
Posted: 06.08.2017  ·  #26
Every town that has a swimming pool that generally is part paid for by the locals and local government ie. us all could have an Air. Every Council office has a car park that is unused every night and all weekends.

PDK
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner A647
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2017  ·  #27
We're in sneem at the moment happily sitting in the pub watching the match with our 2 kids, first time we have used goosey island. We are very happy to pay a fee for safe overnight parking. Every town in ireland should have some sort of facility, there is so many motorhome holidaying in ireland, are the councils and local authorities that foolish they can't see the potential revenue. We have only spent 2 nights in sneem and have already spent €110.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2017  ·  #28
Just want to bring this topic back again because there is quite a large number of us that are willing to pay for facilities (within reason),we are not all spongers.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #29
Was in Carlingford for the last 2 nights, €10 a night. Would like EHU but at the price grand.

Hadn't noticed the grey / black disposal the last time I was there. There's a large concrete drive over slab with a center drain for grey and a manhole beside it for black with a water hose at the fence for fresh water.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.10.2017  ·  #30
Quote by Eamonn

Was in Carlingford for the last 2 nights, €10 a night. Would like EHU but at the price grand.

Eamonn just out of curiosity what is your reason for preferring EHU for a two nighter? We would regularly do two nighters on 12v and no problem.
Just asking out of curiosity.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #31
SWIMBO doesn't like gas so we don't cook on gas, so what we save in EHU we more than spend eating out.

Plus because it was an emergency, (the flask was empty) it took 20 minutes to boil the kettle on gas. Also the EHU keeps the fridge cold.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #32
Everyone to their own,we do all of the above including fridge but use gas

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #33
Couldn't imagine surviving without using gas, most aires don't have EHU's and those that do usually have MCB's that trip out at 4 or 6 amps, not enough for a hot plate or boil a kettle. You might get away with a low wattage camping kettle but they take forever to boil.
Also lots of camp sites in Europe only provide similar low amp connections.

Our heaviest use of gas was a whole bottle (11kg) in four days while doing the Christmas markets in the Alsace the winter before last. It was near or below freezing most of the time and the heating was never off.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #34
Might look at a diesel heater, webasto or eberspacher if we decide to build our own rig.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #35
Quote by Eamonn

SWIMBO doesn't like gas so we don't cook on gas, so what we save in EHU we more than spend eating out.

Plus because it was an emergency, (the flask was empty) it took 20 minutes to boil the kettle on gas. Also the EHU keeps the fridge cold.

Just wondering, by the way are you using butane gas? When we got a caravan 8 or 9 years ago, my wife grumbled about the smell of gas when cooking but the cylinder was butane. After talk to a mate, who had caravaning for years, he recommended to change to propane gas. After changing the gas to propane, a word about gas smells has not been uttered in 8 years.
If only some other complaints could be sorted as easily! !!!!
Malcolm

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #36
Her mother lost her fringe and eybrows to a gas cooker about 50 years ago. She doesn't like cooking in the MH. If the weather is dry I'm outside on an extension lead cooking on electricity.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2017  ·  #37
There are probably a lot more built in safety devices in today's equipment, but if someone has that fear then everyone around them has to live with it.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2017  ·  #38
The most efficient heating and cooking is by gas but you could get an external gas point fitted for cooking

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.10.2017  ·  #39
After doing our first experience in campsites and sort of campsite this weekend, I'll say that it'll be a no brainer to spend £/€ 10 on aires.

I'll say we wold be happy enough with water a cassette disposal facilities. We can survive 48hs on batteries for sure maybe even more now that we bought a few battery packs to charge the electronic devices. We would rarely stay in the same place more than 1 or 2 nights, so we have time to recharge in between.

Cheers,
Rami

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Aires for Motorhomers

· 
Posted: 16.10.2017  ·  #40
Quote by Eamonn

Her mother lost her fringe and eybrows to a gas cooker about 50 years ago. She doesn't like cooking in the MH. If the weather is dry I'm outside on an extension lead cooking on electricity.

what do you use to cook outside have you seen one of these , George foreman electric outdoor grill

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.