SuperbrigKid
Craic'er
My Motorhome: C Line 5.0 QB L
Base Vehicle: Carthago 180bhp
Subject:

Bicycle / Scooter carrier for Chassis

· 
Posted: 12.06.2017  ·  #1
Im trying to source a supplier / installer of a bicycle/scooter type carrier that fits to Alko chassis to carry 2 bicycles.

There appears to be a few manufacturers on the market such as Alko/ Sawiko, Memo and Linnepe all of which have various models. Im not a fan of a bicycle carrier that fits to the rear body of the vehicle and Im not so confident that a bicycle carrier that fits to a tow bar would provide the rigid steadiness that I require hence the chassis fitting type.

I have spoken with some motorhome retailers but none which actually stock this type of carrier but could possibly order one in for me. All refer me to Alko seeking advice on what particular model of chassis carrier would be suitable for my particular MH make & model.
Despite providing chassis no. & chassis model no. to Alko they send me a engineering drawing for me to provide them with the various measurements of a 2017 factory built MH so they can assess & advise me of the suitability of Sawiko / Alko manufactured scooter carrier. That to me seems a little bizzare !

I have ample payload to accomodate the extra weight however I am a little concerned of the extra rear overhang particularly when embarking on/ off ferries. I am wondering is this type of carrier now requiring certification from an installer in order to pass CVRT without having to temporarily remove to facilitate this test in the future.

Any views/ experience/ advice would be appreciated

Thanking you all in advance

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Bicycle / Scooter carrier for Chassis

· 
Posted: 12.06.2017  ·  #2
Regularly carry 2 bikes on the tow ball mounted rack.
I had the same concerns as yourself regarding how rigid and firm it would be on the towball...... it has been perfect !..... and it isn't an expensive one either, an eBay 3 cycle rack at £20... I thought at the price it was worth a punt.
We've travelled 1000's of miles throught France with the bikes on it and hasn't been a problem, and simple to remove before test time !

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2017  ·  #3
We have this one on ours.......
https://www.google.ie/url?sa=i…9975514340
It was fitted for the previous owner by a company in Midleton, Co. Cork. I have the receipt in the Motorhome if you want to contact the company. it works perfect, very easy to load bikes on and off due to its hight, when I am going on ferries I tilt it slightly up and secure it with a small ratchet strap while on the Boat. we also have a fiamma rear box mounted over it on the orignal bike rack on the rear wall.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2017  ·  #4
Hi Brian, pm me a photo of the rear of your MH and one of the chassis from under the side skirt if you don't mind. I may have a few options for you but without a better idea of your chassis construction I wouldn’t be able to help you.
Malcolm

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.06.2017  ·  #5
I bought a Halfords 4 bike towball mounted rack in 2014, I used it on a gooseneck towball on my estate down to the south of france at motorway speeds and it never moved with 2 Adult bikes and 2 kids bikes.
For the money they are hard to beat and are rock solid in my estimation as long as your towbar is up to the job, some are a lot stronger than others.
The Westfalia has a very strong 4 bolt towball 150kg vertical loading and this is what I intend to fit to my Maxi Chassis PVC.

SuperbrigKid
Craic'er
My Motorhome: C Line 5.0 QB L
Base Vehicle: Carthago 180bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2017  ·  #6
Thanks to all that replied to this query

Your comments / help / interest are greatly received & inspiring.
Im in the process of arranging engineering shop assessment & hopfully fitting thanks to knowledge shared here.

Brian

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.