AdiH
AdiH
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Cherbourg to Lake Garda via Germany and Austria

· 
Posted: 12.06.2017  ·  #1
Spending 2 and a half weeks travelling the above route last week of July, first week of August.

Just wondering if anyone who has done this route has recommendations on must stops/dos along the way, or any nice towns or villages along the main route.

The journey is all part of the holiday so we don't mind if we've only get 5 nights or so in Lake Garda itself. We have 3 young children (9, 8 & 5) and only one of us drives the motorhome so need to be realistic about how much ground we can cover each day.

All advice appreciated!

Bunny
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Cherbourg to Lake Garda via Germany and Austria

· 
Posted: 13.06.2017  ·  #2
Hi we done this route last year. One stop I would strongly recommend is Innsbruck Austria. The campsite http://www.natterersee.com is a world apart, the toilet block would leave many a 4 star hotel standing. There is a bus stop just outside the side which runs into the city. And the man made lake provides for great activities for the children. Enjoy the journey.

Peter Koster
Craic'er
Homepage: hurktoilet.nl/inde…
My Motorhome: Pössl 2Win
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #3
kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #4
Quote by AdiH

Spending 2 and a half weeks travelling the above route last week of July, first week of August.

Just wondering if anyone who has done this route has recommendations on must stops/dos along the way, or any nice towns or villages along the main route.

The journey is all part of the holiday so we don't mind if we've only get 5 nights or so in Lake Garda itself. We have 3 young children (9, 8 & 5) and only one of us drives the motorhome so need to be realistic about how much ground we can cover each day.

All advice appreciated!

What weight is your motorhome. Is the GVW below 3500kg or above 3500kg. If above 3500kg then different route options need considered.

AdiH
AdiH
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #5
Thank you for the above suggestions we'll look into them- they all sound great.

Motorhome is under 3,500kg but with all the stuff we'll have including 5 bikes we'll possibly be over that. My husband has planned the route with this in mind and part of the reason we're avoiding Switzerland, will this be a problem?

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #6
If under 3500kg then you need a vignette to use the Austrian motorways. The only section that you would be likely to use is that running east west A12 through Innsbruck. In addition the Brenner motorway requires an additional toll between Innsbruck South (toll plaza) and the Italian border. This motorway is not included in the vignette. The vignette is available at service stations close to the border.

The 10day vignette is €8.90. The toll for the A13 Brenner motorway in €9.00 each way. This totals €27 which is not a lot less than the Swiss annual vignette at CHF40. It is very practical to avoid all of the motorways in Austria and thus save the €27; the penalty is likely to be not much more than an hour driving each way. If coming from Germany on the A7 most of the route to Innsbruck is non motorway anyway.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2017  ·  #7
Quote by AdiH

All advice appreciated!

Your route across France will take you close to Disney Paris if that is of any interest to the kids.

There is also a theme park near Frieburg

The Black Forest is worth a visit - Triberg and Titisee.

Also the Romantic Road, typically across from the Black Forest to Munich.

Don't try to do too much. The journey time from home to Lake Garda is 4 days each way including the ferry and that is solid driving (non toll roads across France)

AdiH
AdiH
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2017  ·  #8
Thank you for the information on the vignette- I must look into our requirements.

We have an annual pass for Disney and spent almost a week there at Easter. We might spend our first night there as our route takes us very close by. Our next overnight stop is likely to be Karlsruhe- will probably spend a couple of nights there, before heading on to Innsbruck, again for a couple of nights before making our way to Garda. Might try different stopover on the way back up- possibly Munich and Salzburg.

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions. Lots of great ideas there!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.