just_manu
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Breakdown on way to Roslare

· 
Posted: 07.06.2017  ·  #1
Hi all, I'm new(ish) to this brilliant forum and would be lost without all the info everyone shares here so thanks to all!

We took the plunge and bought a motorhome towards the end of last year. (06 Challenger) We have done some small trips since to get used to it and learn how things work with the great plan culminating in a two week trip to Brittany in June. Yeah!!

Myself, the Mrs & the two kids all headed off from Donegal to overnight in Greystones on route to Roslare for our big adventure.
Unfortunately we had the nightmare trip that everyone dreads and just thought I'd share our experiences.

All was going well with excitement building until just before the Arklow bypass on the M11. BANG! Something serious... immediate loss of power and very strong noise from the engine. I pulled over immediately and hit the hazard lights! We both knew something serious had just happened without wanting to let on to the kids... yet.
We had AA cover so called them.

While waiting for the recovery man and with a real cloud of depression descended a car pulls in and a 'Good Samaritan' jumps out... Martin (aka Sprinter - motorhome craic member!???) stopped to see if he could help unfortunately to no avail! (hat tip to Martin!!) he told me that East Coast Campers were just 5 mins away.

The AA said they would send someone out within the hour... an hour and a half later and a few calls later the recovery truck arrived.
The mechanic tried to start it but the engine sounded very ill and he said there didn't seem to be any compression when he tried to start it. He called a few mechanics to see if they could look at it and none of them wanted to touch it with a barge pole! (Probably a combination of mechanics just not wanting to touch campers and the fact that it was a Friday of the bank holiday weekend!)
Luckily, with East Coast Campers 5 mins away that would be the place to go.
Called them and we agreed to bring it to them to take a look at it.
They called in their mechanic to look at it.... bad news, timing belt gone, cam shaft broke and head damaged! Most likely a replacement engine required! €€€€'s!!!??

After a hotel stay, two train journeys and a lift we got home to Donegal. We had to cancel the two week holiday completely after much deliberation on whether to go out for one week if the camper could be fixed in time. It was too much of a gamble to take.

What I have learned here is :
1) motorhome insurance does not have any provision for a replacement car (probably makes sense but something I hadn't thought of). They will only swap the insurance to a courtesy camper which I assume is a very rare thing.

2) AA membership is worthwhile although we also had some breakdown cover with holiday insurance

3) When purchasing a used motorhome, change the timing belt and kit no matter what the previous owner tells you they have done!

4) Always have a plan B in case of breakdown

5) Irish ferries were very helpful and offered a credit note to be used within 12 months (We hope to try again in September!)

6) One campsite offered a refund if we can send on a letter from the mechanic / AA and the other could push our booking back to September to allow us to decide what we want to do.

7) I thanks my luck stars (if I have any 😀) that this did not happens after we got off the ferry in France.

8) Also lucky it happened 5 mins away from East Coast Campers.

The camper is down with East Coast Campers and hopefully will be back on the road soon and I'm sure our bank account will also be hurting!

Am looking forward to getting it back, moving forward and getting back to enjoying our motorhome!

Sorry for the huge post, but feels good to put this out there for others.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Breakdown on way to Roslare

· 
Posted: 07.06.2017  ·  #2
I am sorry to hear about your ordeal. In a few months you will put it down to one of life's experience. That is not much help now with your hols and planned trip in tatters. There is a few valuable lessons in your post that everyone can take from.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #3
Sorry about your ordeal.
If I can be of assistance , let me know.... have workshop and facilities if you require.

September will be good, smashing time for a trip.

Jon

presstout1
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 896f
Base Vehicle: Fait Ducato 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #4
[imgl][/imgl]I feel your pain. Been there & like you were very lucky that ours blew up just after a trip to France enroute to a Craic meet in Donegal.
She was off the road for 3 weeks. We bought from a dealer, Thompson Leisure & in fairness to them, they stood over it.
Hope you get it back soon. Take heart in that you will be able to put it behind you & go on to enjoy many happy trips.
Hope you get to France in September. France is a great place for motorhomes.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #5
Very unfortunate but at least it happened at home hope all goes well and you get away later in September

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #6
That's a terrible story but at least you took some positives out of it.
Timing belts are funny things if I don't know one has been replaced I will replace it asap.
Yours could very well have been the original, the problem with TB's is that they have both age and mileage replacement intervals, most MH never get to the mileage interval just age.
Hope the kids are OK and not too traumatised.

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #7
Quote by JJF

Sorry got your ordeal.
If I can be of assistance , let me know.... have workshop and facilities if you require.

September will be good, smashing time for a trip.

Jon

Thanks Jon, appreciate the offer.
Will keep you in mind for the future.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #8
sorry to hear that, terrible dissappointment. and good advice regarding the timing belt. i was thinking of getting it done, i am definitely getting it done now.

Mattmobile3
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Fiat Tribute T669 2015
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #9
Reminds me of all the breakdowns we had in our first camper, complete with 2-months old baby! On our first trip out, we suffered a breakdown (the battery blew under the driver's seat, ouch!) and the broken gear linkage on our last trip, which ended up with us spending a day in the Asda carpark in Coleraine whilst waiting on the recovery man, was the last straw.
I hope you get yours sorted as quickly and as painlessly as possible and get to enjoy a super trip in September. 😀

Carnsoreboxer
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Oh the joys

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #10
Everything in our MH lit up like a Christmas Tree, well it was 23rd December, and MH just went into blackout 1hour outside Holyhead at 7am. We contacted insurance rescue who had someone out to us immediately & we're on the road again by lunchtime with a new alternator & battery both caused by a swim in Inch

Himself said that's it. We're selling

Not - heading off to Continent in couple of weeks

Making memories!!!

just_manu
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #11
Well, we won't let it beat us and have booked to go to France for 2 weeks in September.!!!
Just need to get it fixed now, get out there and make memories.

Thanks all for your support!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Breakdown on way to Roslare

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #12
Let Me know when you are going to collect it , If I am around I will meet you somewhere and run you down.

Edgar
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Chausson
Base Vehicle: Ford
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.06.2017  ·  #13
Good luck with getting it sorted hope to see you in France in September

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.